JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My girlfriend and I will be driving my SUV from Washington, through Idaho, then Utah, then Nevada, and finally Arizona.

On the way down, stopping in Twin Falls, ID at my sister's farm, then in Hurricane, UT to visit Matt's Off-Road Recovery, then finally in Yuma, AZ where we'll stay with my folks for about ten days. While in AZ, we will be going on a few different desert excursions to explore old mines and ghost towns, as well as explore the bombing range which has some pristine old mines (already have the permits).

Biggest threat the entire trip will be humans.

So, only bringing two guns. My Sig P365 TacPac and my Extar EP-9. I figure 9mm is fine for anything I'll run into and in the worst-case scenario of coming across a drug cartel in the desert, the Extar is not the last weapon I'd want. Plus, it fits in my suitcase, so it will never be left in the vehicle or attract attention when being moved from vehicle to hotel.

The P365 is ideal because it is simply the most comfortable carry weapon I've ever had, and I will be wearing a weapon 24/7 during this trip. I had considered the G19 Gen 5 MOS since it and the Extar can share mags, but it is a giant compared to the P365 and just wouldn't be as easy to conceal or carry for the trip.

IMG_20210210_191800871.jpg

So, those are my two choices.

Would be interesting to hear what two weapons others would choose for a similar road trip and why.

Slow-bell touring out to Williston, ND, and then south to the Phoenix area hopefully staying off of the big freeways for most of it, and just exploring around. Will have a Glock 43 pocket gun, and a 1911 in 45 for any unwanted hotel visitors.

These should be plenty because I doubt we'll be in the woods or mines much like you, so not even thinking about a bigger response weapon, or even shot loads at this point of our planning...

My girlfriend and I will be driving my SUV from Washington, through Idaho, then Utah, then Nevada, and finally Arizona.

On the way down, stopping in Twin Falls, ID at my sister's farm, then in Hurricane, UT to visit Matt's Off-Road Recovery, then finally in Yuma, AZ where we'll stay with my folks for about ten days. While in AZ, we will be going on a few different desert excursions to explore old mines and ghost towns, as well as explore the bombing range which has some pristine old mines (already have the permits).

Biggest threat the entire trip will be humans.

So, only bringing two guns. My Sig P365 TacPac and my Extar EP-9. I figure 9mm is fine for anything I'll run into and in the worst-case scenario of coming across a drug cartel in the desert, the Extar is not the last weapon I'd want. Plus, it fits in my suitcase, so it will never be left in the vehicle or attract attention when being moved from vehicle to hotel.

The P365 is ideal because it is simply the most comfortable carry weapon I've ever had, and I will be wearing a weapon 24/7 during this trip. I had considered the G19 Gen 5 MOS since it and the Extar can share mags, but it is a giant compared to the P365 and just wouldn't be as easy to conceal or carry for the trip.

View attachment 824390

So, those are my two choices.

Would be interesting to hear what two weapons others would choose for a similar road trip and why.

My "road-trip kit" is similar, but rockin' the Glock-19 or 43X (w/ 15rd SA mags) and two spare mags, my NAA Pug 5-shot 22WMR, my karambit knife, and an 11.5" AR pistol (or two) in 5.56 w/at least 2-3 spare mags each...

F-California!!

D6BCB8B3-A0AF-4B28-AA7E-F1FCDB15C643.jpeg

7.5 ar pistol(law folder and VG6 Delta) with chest rig(3 ar mags/2 G19 mags/IFAK dangler) and my Glock 19. Also earpro. Each of my ar mags are loaded different for a different response. Hollow points/frag rounds in one m855a1 in one and some really hot m193 in the last. :s0069:

On most road trips I take , it usually involves going to a shooting match or a rendezvous...so My Hawken Rifle will come along.
I shoot it well and often enough , that it fits the bill for most of my rifle shooting needs

If I feel the need to something more modern....then I'll bring my Winchester 94 Carbine or 870 Wingmaster with its 18 inch barrel.
.30-30 WCF and or 12 gauge outta take care of any sort of issues that come up.
Both are also easy to carry and shoot , plus they don't draw too much attention to the fact that they are "guns".
( Which may be of some importance , depending on what state I am in and who is looking . )

Mostly though I don't worry 'bout it...and just pay attention to where I am going and the situation around me.
So usually its my Hawken Rifle and no other firearms.
Andy

On most road trips I take , it usually involves going to a shooting match or a rendezvous...so My Hawken Rifle will come along.

If I feel the need to something more modern....then I'll bring my Winchester 94 Carbine or 870 Wingmaster with its 18 inch barrel.

Mostly though I don't worry 'bout it...and just pay attention to where I am going and the situation around me.
So usually its my Hawken Rifle and no other firearms.
Andy
Lots of cartel and motorcycle gangs here.....I wouldn't feel at all comfortable with that. My rule is 15min or less from house, is pistol territory. Over 15min, I'm bringing something bigger

Lots of cartel and motorcycle gangs here.....I wouldn't feel at all comfortable with that. My rule is 15min or less from house, is pistol territory. Over 15min, I'm bringing something bigger

Been down that way more than a few times....I haven't had any issues...so I am fine...thanks.

Edit to add...
My best defense is as I said earlier.....pay attention to my situation.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top