JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I use them on several guns for around the home. The "plan" is not to turn the light on if I can see well. Only point of the light is if its too dark and I want to make damn sure what I am sending a round at. LONG before the lights made to mount to a weapon had tried the holding a light and a gun. Never real good at it. The last time I had to dispatch a Racoon that was trying to enjoy my chickens for dinner I turned the light on, on that rifle to make sure I could see him as he ran off. Had it set to FA and just sent all 16 rounds at him. He assumed outdoor temp but of course he was not shooting back at me :D

I like to use a flashlight on my gun to do plumbing with so when a big, hairy spider jumps out at me I can shoot my house

Flashlights on weapons especially defensive weapons. . Rifles, pistols, shotguns. To me they seem counterproductive. Here I am , shoot at me. I wont use them. Just me?
As opposed to doing these with a flashlight in your free hand? (Ignore weapon mounted light lol) Self-Defense-flashlight-feature-FBI.jpg SF_HandheldTechniques-NeckIndex-A.jpg SF_HandheldTechniques-FBI.jpg

I am always curious about the "no light" crowd; how do you expect to do target identification? Just shoot at shadows?

I mean, if you want to go full specops with night vision everything, then sure, a light can be counter productive. But If I am in a home defensive scenario I am not trying to play tacticool operations, I want a solid defensive position with my family firmly behind me and I want the invader to know I am ready and willing to fight so that hopefully they make the decision to leave before we get to the gunfire. And part of that "my family firmly behind me" part means absolute positive ID of all unknowns, and a weapon mounted light is hands down the best option for that.

I mean what are you going to do otherwise? Try to navigate to a light switch with some unknown shadow at the end of the hall? Use a not-mounted light? Readjust your NODs after you whacked them on your optic?

And lets be real here, it's not like you can't turn the light off if you think it will help. Damn near every WML today comes with full controls without having to take your hands off the gun. I don't have a single WML that I cannot actuate, temporary or permanent, without taking my hands of their ready position. I mean even if your plan is to hunker down and hide (a fair plan) rather than loudly announce you intent to shoot any invader that advances on your position (also a fair plan) a light is still a good tool to have available just so you can expedite your target acquisition if they get too close to you.

I think a lot of people assume home defense is operating with the same paradigm as maneuver warfare. I simply do not see that in the slightest. A light is not going to "give your position away" to some enemy that is hunting you, it is going to let some criminal thug know you are ready for them, and that means, in 99 out of 100 case (if not more), they are going to skedaddle. And if they do not run, at down-the-hall distances they are going to be fairly well blinded by any decent system, and that too will give you an edge. I really do not see any downside to equipping one, unless somehow weight is a factor.

I am always curious about the "no light" crowd; how do you expect to do target identification? Just shoot at shadows?

I mean, if you want to go full specops with night vision everything, then sure, a light can be counter productive. But If I am in a home defensive scenario I am not trying to play tacticool operations, I want a solid defensive position with my family firmly behind me and I want the invader to know I am ready and willing to fight so that hopefully they make the decision to leave before we get to the gunfire. And part of that "my family firmly behind me" part means absolute positive ID of all unknowns, and a weapon mounted light is hands down the best option for that.

I mean what are you going to do otherwise? Try to navigate to a light switch with some unknown shadow at the end of the hall? Use a not-mounted light? Readjust your NODs after you whacked them on your optic?

And lets be real here, it's not like you can't turn the light off if you think it will help. Damn near every WML today comes with full controls without having to take your hands off the gun. I don't have a single WML that I cannot actuate, temporary or permanent, without taking my hands of their ready position. I mean even if your plan is to hunker down and hide (a fair plan) rather than loudly announce you intent to shoot any invader that advances on your position (also a fair plan) a light is still a good tool to have available just so you can expedite your target acquisition if they get too close to you.

I think a lot of people assume home defense is operating with the same paradigm as maneuver warfare. I simply do not see that in the slightest. A light is not going to "give your position away" to some enemy that is hunting you, it is going to let some criminal thug know you are ready for them, and that means, in 99 out of 100 case (if not more), they are going to skedaddle. And if they do not run, at down-the-hall distances they are going to be fairly well blinded by any decent system, and that too will give you an edge. I really do not see any downside to equipping one, unless somehow weight is a factor.
I'm shooting at the light

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top