JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Understandable. But what if it were a choice, such as the OP?
Yeah, if I knew there were regular incursions into the area by armed cartel members, no way would I be going there. From what I've seen, there are only occasional illegals that wander into the area. Where we are, it is a military installation and bomb range and would be the worst possible border area for the cartels to stir up trouble.

9tfT3B-aRgeTSXvMcFPMQQ.jpg

Born and raised in AZ. Going on a road trip there also, from WA state.

The "cartels" and illegals are highly unlikely to bother anyone. In open desert, it is best to open carry. No one will mess with you.

My biggest concern is the trip down I-5 we'll be taking. Won't be in CA for long, but I have to take CA laws into account when transporting our firearms, so, no AR with 30 round mags!

I think we'll just be taking a 9mm and 45acp handguns and a lever action rifle for the kiddo to play with. Certainly hope there's no reason to "need" them other than plinking and maybe scaring off a wild critter!

Born and raised in AZ. Going on a road trip there also, from WA state.

The "cartels" and illegals are highly unlikely to bother anyone. In open desert, it is best to open carry. No one will mess with you.

My biggest concern is the trip down I-5 we'll be taking. Won't be in CA for long, but I have to take CA laws into account when transporting our firearms, so, no AR with 30 round mags!

I think we'll just be taking a 9mm and 45acp handguns and a lever action rifle for the kiddo to play with. Certainly hope there's no reason to "need" them other than plinking and maybe scaring off a wild critter!
Normally, our route takes us South out of Vegas, and then into CA for about 70 miles before popping back into AZ. This time, I'm bypassing CA completely and adding 40 miles or so to the last leg of the trip.

My dad said the last bit of the trip in CA is so bad now due to deteriorating roads that it's best to avoid it completely to avoid vehicle damage. He said CA is literally a 3rd world craphole, now.

If I did not live here I would avoid CA too!
I carry a revolver and a lever gun. Neither of them would raise an eye even in anti gun bay areas.
I have had to fly and been diverted into the SF airport because of weather. I own several guns [ legally] that would have me in hot water there. So its something we have to think about.
I have friends that live outside of Bisbee AZ. I have hunted with them several years along the border. The illegals there don't want anything to do with us. But I would not be out there without a gun! DR

In 2013, I flew into South Carolina and then drove to Oregon. I had my ATI FX-45 and two extra mags and my pocket knife.

Your choices sound good for what you're doing.

Normally, our route takes us South out of Vegas, and then into CA for about 70 miles before popping back into AZ. This time, I'm bypassing CA completely and adding 40 miles or so to the last leg of the trip.

My dad said the last bit of the trip in CA is so bad now due to deteriorating roads that it's best to avoid it completely to avoid vehicle damage. He said CA is literally a 3rd world craphole, now.

We'll be cutting over to Vegas after stopping in Yreka. Being Northern CA, it's all "friendlies'.

Since we are off-roading/overlanding in AZ, we're taking the big truck. No worries about 3rd world road conditions! Living in the Seattle area, you get adapted to 3rd world road conditions!

I'm fascinated by the term "overlanding". Never heard of it before this past year. From what I can tell, it's what we used to call camping, but for rich people with new vehicles and all the best gear.

When I plan a vacation the last thing I'm thinking about is how many guns am I going to bring. I'm way more into enjoying the trip. Isn't that what vacation is supposed to be? Or do some use it as a reason to LARP?

I believe it. It has been a while since I've been down there, other than some of the rural areas in NorCal more recently, but family that has gone to the cities describe it as "another country" or "from a different planet" now. As in completely screwed up infrastructure, mutants galore, filthy cities, et. al. Yah, no thanks.

When I plan a vacation the last thing I'm thinking about is how many guns am I going to bring. I'm way more into enjoying the trip.

Same. :)

I had to go there twice last year. In San Jose some of the road signs above the exits were so covered in graffiti you could not read which road it was, the trash and encampments there and LA stretched for dozens of contiguous miles along the 101, etc.

I live in a very rural area just south of Yosemite. I don't even recognize the cities any more! We used to enjoy going into the cities for a game [either LA or SF], But I avoid them like the 3rd world bubblegum holes they have become!
How bad is it when you have to consult the Poop map before deciding where to eat dinner? How bad is it when your city has to publish a map of what day the streets were cleaned of human poop, needles, drug trash, etc... And they are OK with this! DR

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top