JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The 10/22 seems to be the most widely recommended .22LR rifle, but what about the pistols? I have either a pistol or a revolver in .22LR on my list, just not sure which (of the two, or specific model) would be best to go with. Since the 10/22 is Ruger, I was looking at the Bearcat and the MKIII, though for this one I'm not as concerned with buying new.

Anyone have recommendations on that?

Any used .22LR sidearms that are reliable and come up used with any frequency?

I had a Ruger Mk 1 way, way back. It was a nice, simple, rugged well made pistol, very easy to disassemble and clean. Perhaps a bit bulkier than some folks would prefer, but I have nothing against it.

Keith

Many people tend to think that SHTF = Mad Max. In that scenario, a .22 would be useful, but marginally so.

Fortunately (or unfortunately) odds are that we are heading more towards an Argentina, currency collapse scenario than Mad Max. In that case a .22 LR would be much more useful. The only down side to rifles in general is that they are not good for when you are "out and about". In an Argentina scenario, having a pistol that you can keep on your person is a good thing.

Since it sounds like you can't spend a minor fortune right now, a .22 (rifle or pistol) that you can get a lot of cheap trigger time will be of more value to you than a center fire where ammo is $24/box. . .

the gun you have is better than not having a gun

I had a Ruger pistol for several years as my only home protection gun. If you have a .22 for defense, just remember that it's "fire until they are down", and have lots of spare (loaded) magazines. . .

In a word, YES. Its based on the AK 47 yet improved to a point that it's almost a curse word to compare the two. If your looking for light weight battle rifles though, this isn't her. They come in @ over eight pounds dry. The two that I have in .223 have been reliable to the point that they are 1st on the grab list over the several AR'S, Mini's and AK's that sleep together with them. To be completely honest, I have never had one FTF, and it doesnt seem to matter what you feed them.
I have no experience with the .308, (perhaps Stomper can chime in here) but if they are anything like the .223's they are indeed worth looking at. Do a google search FMJ, they are not cheap knock off's, but I've been really happy mine.
If "apf" is looking for that one to put away for a SHTF possibility, this one in either caliber would get the job done well.
Just my 2 cents.

What he said! My .308 shoots SMOOTH AS BUTTER, and the recoil isn't much different than my AK's, or the AR's for that matter. When working the charging handle, the action is as close to "silk" and one can get with steel on steel sliding against each other.

As has been said they are about the weight of a Main Battle Rifle... I'm 6' tall, weigh 200lbs, and can lift more than my body weight over my head so it just makes me giggle to lug around a 8-10lbs. "club". ;)

Picked up the 10/22 today from the gun shop (buy local, not from Wally World...) and probably looked like a muttering fool drooling over pistols and doing (mostly) mental math on whether or not I could afford anything by stretching things a bit.

Now I just have to find time to get to the range. Which range, I'm not so sure, but from everything I have read here about plinking spots, I don't want to waste the gas getting there... Will probably just go to English Pit since that's close to home. Unless anyone has better ideas.

Any recommendations on what to feed my Ruger? I've read that some find it to be on a by-gun basis, whereas others mention specific manufacturers from the start.

Any recommendations on what to feed my Ruger? I've read that some find it to be on a by-gun basis, whereas others mention specific manufacturers from the start.
I have not had any ammunition fail in my 10/22, I shoot whatever is on sale at Big 5. I do prefer copper jacketed over lead, it's easier fr me to clean.

Normally I use CCI Blazer, but CCI Subsonic drives tacks! I've never tried Remington Subsonic, so I don't know how well that shoots. I did try some "Hyper-velocity" and it seems to shoot okay, but it's not as accurate as the subsonic. "Standard-velocity" CCI Ammo shoots good too. and I found that copper plated bullets last longer, and leave less gunk in the gun. Wax gums up my 10/22 until I get it real hot, then it sorta melts away. But in cold conditions, I can imagine that wax/powder residue jamming things up.

I like the CCI minimags, never had any probs with them, easy to grab a couple of boxes. Did you put a scope on it? Have fun!:s0155:

Not to be a stick in the mud but be safe and please remember the 4 rules of handling a firearm:

1. Treat every firearm as if it is loaded.
2. Do not put your finger on the trigger until your sights are on the target.
3. Know your target and what is beyond it.
4. Do not point the muzzle at anything you are not willing to Kill.

Follow these rules and you will never EVER, have an "accidential" discharge.
PS there are never accidential discharges, just inattention to details.

Have a blast.

Like I said, Igo to Bi-mart and buy Peter's Round Nose Lead, 500 for about $18 Brown and White box
I shoot 1000's of rounds a year and that is the best shooting, lowest priced, reliable ammo out there. Target ammo? No But Ican hit a squirrel 3 outa 6 shots with it, it shoots better than I can.

Picked up the 10/22 today from the gun shop (buy local, not from Wally World...) and probably looked like a muttering fool drooling over pistols and doing (mostly) mental math on whether or not I could afford anything by stretching things a bit.

HAHAHAHAHahahaaaaa..... its already starting, you can't/won't stop at just one!

Congrats on your purchase, and follow the great advise that others have posted here! :s0155:

HAHAHAHAHahahaaaaa..... its already starting, you can't/won't stop at just one!
Oh, it started long ago, back when I was a kid at summer camp shooting bolt action 22s. Only got worse going out to the range and shooting with my father. What finished me off was shooting a buddy's AR15 back in college, and making a little CO2 canister vanish. Now, finally, I have a chance to actually own one, and have several more on the list that I want to pick up. Definitely a pistol for CCW (especially since Washington feels more like my native Texas when it comes to CCW licensing than even Texas did!). A bolt-action just due to fondness for that. Then, well, who knows. AK or AR, would love an old M1, so many guns I would like to own, and so little money to spend on them!
Congrats on your purchase, and follow the great advise that others have posted here! :s0155:
Definitely will be doing that. Always valuable to have a sounding board for ideas, advice, and the all-important sanity check.

Nice thing about 22's is all the ammo you can carry . Try packing around 1000 rounds of 308 ! Hard to beat the 10/22 and a few 25 round mags.
Hours of fun !

Heh,

I still have a sealed cardboard shipping box from Surplus Ammo filled with 500 rounds of .308 sitting on the floor next to my desk that I haven't had time to get put on stripper clips and packed into the proper ammo cans... it weighs 28-lbs.

:s0001:

Can't recommend a 10 22 enough My first one I have had 30 some years and is on its 3rd barrel I flat shot the first barrel out at 70-80,000 rounds ( I consistently shot a 500rd brick a week for years on the farm I was raised on) before it started pitching keyholes and patterns not groups. the second early after market barrel was never that good and I replaced it after 5-6,000 rounds. The 3rd and current barrel is a Ruger factory stainless tapered with iron sights That easily has another 10-20,000 rounds through it. Has never had a internal part replaced runs smooth with clean ammo and good mags. On those factory 10rd always work best I have a number for each 10 22. On High capacity mags I have a couple dozen + 25rd and a pair of much beloved reliable tear drop Mitchel 50rd drum 10 22 clips and say the old 25 shot pre ban hot lips and the current Tactical Solution's adjustable synthetic or steel lipped mags are the best High capacity mags I have used of 6 or 7 brands I own.

It with practice will consistently hit what you aim at out to 150 yards

With no doubt if I had to choose one gun to count on it would be my Ruger 10 22

Buy some ammo and Enjoy

for a first gun the 10/22 is almost un beatable... but as you are now finding out,,, they are also almost unlimited in what you can spend tricking them out, i have 3 and the cheap one is running almost $300 in upgrades plus the gun in the toys... as for the pistol question,, for a shtf weapon, a good revolver will (.22lr) will last almost forever,, i an running a 9 shot taurus in stainless, with a few speedloaders, i can run through 45 shots in just under a min thats a full gun and 4 speed loaders, and in 8 years this gun has almost NEVER not gone bang,,, we take the rounds that wont go off in the 10/22's and most of them will pop with the heaveir hammer strike in the pistol.

Congrats on the 10/22! As most people have stated here its the backbone of the SHTF supply. The 22lr round has more than proven itself over the years and as much as I hate using this as an example just about every public shooting has been a 22lr and fielded many kills. It's very cheap to stockpile ammo and enough mags to hold out just about anywhere. Couple that with the "recoil" which makes follow up shots a breeze and you have a very lethal, very reliable firearm. Now we all know firearms aren't a hobby, its an addiction so there should be many more purchases in your future, just remember to buy what is comfortable to you, not what people say is the best. My main cc is a TCP .380 and while it may not be as powerful as a 45, I can easily unload a mag while rapid firing and not have to line my follow ups hardly at all. Same goes to shotguns, most people swear by 12ga with 3" shells while I prefer 20ga with 2 3/4 shells. Gotta find what works for you.

Last Edited:
There seem to be a thousand flavors of 10/22 - wood stock, laminated stock, synthetic stock, synthetic w/ stainless, heavy barrel, etc., etc. What's the best version to get for SHTF purposes?

There seem to be a thousand flavors of 10/22 - wood stock, laminated stock, synthetic stock, synthetic w/ stainless, heavy barrel, etc., etc. What's the best version to get for SHTF purposes?

Synthetic w/stainless is my bet. Nevertheless, it is just a 10/22. Any gun will do...even a bolt action .22 is fine- even if it isn't a Ruger.

Synthetic w/stainless is my bet. Nevertheless, it is just a 10/22. Any gun will do...even a bolt action .22 is fine- even if it isn't a Ruger.

I agree with you for the most part and if you have another gun I totally agree. The only problem I see with a bolt action .22 in a "single gun" situation is that it really limits your self defense ability.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top