JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I never believe any of that "Custom" Krap about 10/22's

Go to your local store, and get a STANDARD 10/22. Blue/Steel I don't care, they both work the same. (Blue is less flashy, so for a Defense gun, get Blue)

Those work good enough, and get a few 25-Round BX25 mags to go. At least 2, so you can carry 50 rounds or more.

It's easy enough to put a Scope or Red Dot on one, and you're good to go!

Have a few thousand rounds(2,000-3,000) and a speed-loader for those mags if you care to buy one.

I bought a used 10-22 21 years ago. Over time I dropped a Clark trigger kit in and bedded the barrel with a business card at the barrel clamp. With a large Tasco World Class scope and bulk ammo I could hit ground squirrels at 135 yards.
Last year I installed it in a pistolgrip stock, added a Picatinny scope base and a P-rail VFG up front to mimic a tacticle carbine.
Last year, after an uncounted number of rounds, I had to replace the hammer spring and firing pin. It still functions perfectly and shoots tight groups. A new replacement barrel is $35.

Now I just have to find time to get to the range. Which range, I'm not so sure, but from everything I have read here about plinking spots, I don't want to waste the gas getting there... Will probably just go to English Pit since that's close to home. Unless anyone has better ideas.

Any recommendations on what to feed my Ruger? I've read that some find it to be on a by-gun basis, whereas others mention specific manufacturers from the start.

FNG here, so hey everybody!

I've owned my 10/22, Marlin 795, and Smith 22A for about five years, and out of the dozen or so bulk paks I've tried the Ruger and the Smith seem to be most reliable (very) with Federal Champion and Auto Match (The Marlin just eats everything.).

Rem-DriLube keeps em' happy.

I've never been to The Pit (live here in Fishers Landing) - be interesting hearing about your experience. Shot up at Larch a half dozen times, but it's a drive and can get sketchy quick.

I'm going to get heckled for this, but if I had to bug out with only one of the guns I own (22LR, .380, 9MM, 357mag, & 12ga), it'd be the 10/22.

Safe, happy shooting!

I would prefer synthetic and blued over stainless. Depends on the SHTF scenario I guess. Stainless barrels aren't exactly stealthy.

I'm going to pick up a 10/22 very soon myself. I have a Savage model 60, and the damn thing fails to feed a LOT, on various different types and brands of ammo. Gonna get rid of it. Plus, finding extra mags is practically impossible. 10/22 after market parts, extra mags- easy to find anywhere.

Be aware that English pit is very particular about shooting rimfire. A couple of the guys there are very cool, and at least one is pretty much a jerk all the time. They only allow rimfire in one of the three ranges, due to the unfortunate tendency .22LR has to richochet. Make sure to let them know you plan to shoot it before you start so you get on the correct range.

They also don't like you firing shotguns on the rifle range.

I have my "all weather" (stainless with plastic stock) 10/22 with a sling, see-thru scope mounts and a 4 power scope, and a few tactical innovations 25 round mags (ruger makes their own hi-cap mag now) and I can't think of any good reason, including SHTF to NOT have it around.

Like I don't have enough 10/22's.

But a blued/synthetic one plus 4200 rounds of Federal HP's, out the door for under $290?
I don't need an excuse. Heck, this could make a trusted neighbor mighty grateful some day.

Yeah, while @ BiMart yesterday I scored me one of them -$168.00 10/22's and four boxes of -$14.00 .22LR rounds, but I also got an ammo can of 420 rounds of XM855 5.56/62gr (green tip) on stripper clips for under $140.00 that was going for $160.00 (for the last month or so).

Not too shabby!

Not trying to stray from the point of the thread, but after you get your 10/22 consider putting a scope, get a few QUALITY 25 round mags, and at least 1000 rounds of ammo (cost of ammo about $30). Then consider getting a .410 or 20 gauge shotgun. If you don't have a lot of cash, you can pick up a single shot H&R from any of the "marts" for a little over $100. If you can afford a pump, get a pump but then you're looking at at least $250 brand new. Easier to hit a bird or moving target with a shotgun. You can shoot slugs out of a shotgun and you can take a deer generally between 50-100 yards, possibly further depending on shotgun and ammo

Not trying to stray from the point of the thread, but after you get your 10/22 consider putting a scope, get a few QUALITY 25 round mags, and at least 1000 rounds of ammo (cost of ammo about $30). Then consider getting a .410 or 20 gauge shotgun. If you don't have a lot of cash, you can pick up a single shot H&R from any of the "marts" for a little over $100. If you can afford a pump, get a pump but then you're looking at at least $250 brand new. Easier to hit a bird or moving target with a shotgun. You can shoot slugs out of a shotgun and you can take a deer generally between 50-100 yards, possibly further depending on shotgun and ammo

True, but for an accurate, cost effective survival rifle that has little weight and size- a .22lr rifle is hard to beat. Although 10/22s aren't perfect, they're widely used and are made very well. I'm sure that everyone single one of us can come up with a better rifle more suited to their preferences and needs...nevertheless, it is hard to beat a simple .22 for SHTF.

Anyone who purchases one isn't making a mistake, by any means.

True, but for an accurate, cost effective survival rifle that has little weight and size- a .22lr rifle is hard to beat. Although 10/22s aren't perfect, they're widely used and are made very well. I'm sure that everyone single one of us can come up with a better rifle more suited to their preferences and needs...nevertheless, it is hard to beat a simple .22 for SHTF.

Anyone who purchases one isn't making a mistake, by any means.

+1 :s0155:

Be aware that English pit is very particular about shooting rimfire. A couple of the guys there are very cool, and at least one is pretty much a jerk all the time. They only allow rimfire in one of the three ranges, due to the unfortunate tendency .22LR has to richochet. Make sure to let them know you plan to shoot it before you start so you get on the correct range.

They also don't like you firing shotguns on the rifle range.

Actually, the 'jerky' guy has been gone since April, 2011. And, shotguns are always able to be shot in a defensive fashion on our 50 yd large bore rifle range. Sorry, but we don't allow clays. While clays claim to be biodegradable, it must take 10-15 years. (We tried some about 4 years ago just to monitor them - they are still solid.) Does anybody know of a way to cause them to break down any quicker?

I love my 10/22 for all of the reasons you and other people mentioned. I probably wouldn't make it my primary shtf weapon though. I'd probably invest in a larger caliber in the future. But if I was working with the budget you outlined, I'd probably get a good shotgun first. It's a good all around gun with more stopping power than the .22 and ammo is still cheap. Bi-mart usually has some really good deals. I think they also have a good deal on a Remington 700 right now too which I'd check out if I had the money right now. But I'd say if a 10/22 is what you're looking for at the moment, go with it. You won't regret it, and it's a good rifle for the family to learn on or shoot if you're planning on it. :)

I have heard the ruger 10/22 dubed "The little carbine that could". Perfect! I just picked one up, synth stock and stainless barrel for 175. Now I just need to find a Hi Cap mag for it.
Oh man, what a killer deal. I paid nearly twice that some time ago in the People's Republic of California - but it happened to be the last year of the all-metal trigger group, so it worked out nonetheless.

One thing about .22 is the subsonic capability, allowing you to switch from Warning Mode to Stealth Mode at will. I can't imagine how unnerving it would be to a bad guy skulking around to hear the crack and splat of a nearby round with no hint of where it came from.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top