JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Anyone have recommendations on that?

Any used .22LR sidearms that are reliable and come up used with any frequency?
I wouldn't get a Bearcat myself, but I don't like single action revolvers, YMMV.

I personally like my Sig Mosquito most of my .22 semi autos, then my Phoenix HP22, and my Ruger MK II third.

Flame away, gun snobs :rolleyes:

I wouldn't get a Bearcat myself, but I don't like single action revolvers, YMMV.
I like the thought of it, but since it would be my first, might make sense to get a double that isn't a double-only. That way I at least have the flexibility to use it either way. IF i learn that I just don't like single action, no problem. If I like it a lot, I can do that as well.

Starting to lean towards getting a pistol second, and then a revolver once everything else is sorted out. I want to get a revolver to play with, but play is not priority #1.

Yea I'd vote the 22/45 or the Mk III, with a Sig Mosquito running in third.

Go with pistol first, then revolver. People seem to have this mistaken concept that revolvers are more reliable. I know it goes against the common paradigm, but I'm pretty convinced it's actually the other way around, and the semi definitely takes the capacity category.

Congratulations on taking ACTIVE steps to take care of your family in a SHTF scenario!! :s0155:

Calibers and configurations are a matter of personal choice, but IMHO semi-auto pistols/rifles are best for "combat/self-defense" purposes.

IMHO your basic kit should consist of:

1. Rifle-

.22LR is good "starter" caliber and DEFINITELY useful (I could bring you to your knees with one... actually I'd take out your knees first ;) )... go for a 10/22 with synthetic stock (very low maintenance) for around $200 or less, and get some 25-rnd. magazines for it. (I have a couple 10/22's and love them!)

.223/5.56/7.62x39 great for defense/hunting at close to intermediate ranges... an AR is/can be spendy($600-$2,400+) AK's can be had for $350-$450. (I have several of both type of rifle.)

.308/7.62x51 or 7.62.54R are heavy hitters for the "final word" (save for .50BMG shooters) in SHTF and hunting for food. M14/Galil(spendy), a Remington bolt-action (moderately priced), or a bolt-action Mosin-Nagant (under $200) (I have an Israeli Galil in .308)

2. Pistol-

IMHO a semi-auto would be the best for a SHTF... faster reloads, larger capacity magazines means more shots between reloads.

9mm is adequate, .40S&W is better, .45ACP is a fantastic "combat round". (I have two autos in 9mm, and three autos in .45 ACP)

If you go with a revolver, IMHO a .357 is the best option, you can shoot .38 special for practice (cheaper and easier on your wrist) or run with the "pick a guy up and throw him back 6 feet" .357 loads that are out there. I like Ruger GP-100's and SP-101's, they are rugged, well made, and are reasonable in price. S&W, and Colt make sweet revolvers, but tend to cost more. (I have a Ruger and S&W in .357)

3. Shotgun

12ga. 3" chamber, in pump action makes a FANTASTIC and VERSATILE close-in weapon, plus you can bag birds for food with them. You can get a Remington-870, or a Mossberg-500 pump-action, used for under $200 and new for around $250-$350. I own several Mossberg-500's

The above mentioned calibers are going to be the most "common" and "plentiful" for you to pick up, and the reason I say you need a rifle, pistol, and shotgun is because I was trained (back in the day) to think of defensive zones in concentric circles... the outer circle is rifle use, the next one in is shotgun/pistol, the next one in from that is pistol/knife... after that its eye gouging, kicking/punching, and biting!

Once you get a piece, focus on stockpiling ammo for it and getting proficient with it before you focus on getting an additional piece... then stockpile some ammo for that once you get it. Don't focus on "how far you have to go", just chip away at it, set a couple bucks aside every time you are able (like not buying that soda/Starbucks and just drink water) and before you know it, you'll have a "comfortable" cache built up!

Hope that helps! :s0155:

Gotta be careful with surplus Mosin-Nagants, I had one that couldn't hit the broadside of a barn at 50 feet. ALWAYS TEST YOUR GUN. you never know if it shoots good until you try it. Also look into gun repair, it will help a lot. I know how to fix all my guns, and they will keep running as long as there is ammo to shoot. a no-brainer is a Yugo Mauser. get a nice M24/47 and 400-500 rounds for it, keep it clean, and it will never let you down.

The short answer is no. Yes, if manually feed and extract, but it would be a one hit wonder.

I like where you're going with your arsenal. Personally, I'd move the .308 to number 4, and add a .22LR pistol in there somewhere, but everyone has their own ideas when it comes to the "perfect" arsenal.

I go back and forth on the 223 or 308 as to which I should get first. It probably would be the 308 I would lean more towards a hunting rifle that way its a little cheaper. The 223 would be my zombie AR style rifle and will be more expensive 800 to 1000 I guess. I'm a leftie so it will probably be stag arms. You mentioned a 22 pistol, I do have a Chiappa 22 (1911 look a like) right now, but I think I will sell it and put that money toward a better 22 pistol.

Thanks on the info about the 22 shorts:)

rlyeezz2 - thanks for the heads up.:s0155:

I've got a bunch of .22's including 10/22's in various states of customization, but this one is my favorite .22 rifle:
<broken link removed>
Every time out I remember why it's my favorite rifle to shoot, bar none. It makes me wonder why I'm so heavily invested in 10/22's.
If you get a Papoose for SHTF use, be sure to go for the stainless/synthetic one. Mine was threaded by Tornado Technologies to accept a can.

Order is placed, I should have the stainless/synthetic 10/22 by some point next week. Time to start looking for local ranges...

Hey all great info -

I intend to buy a 10/22 now, a long time ago i didn't like them but now they are so available and relatively cheap. If you can buy a Stainless model I know BiMart has it for
229.00. Buy several mags. And like it has bee said the ammo is cheap you can get a box of 500 for about 16.00.

Currently I have a BAR-22 (good rifle for plinking) but I don't want that for a SHTF gun. It has the tubular mag and would be a pain to reload quickly and to get the tube back in. Not only that your hands are down near the barrel when reloading and if you in a hurry you don't want to "accidently" injure yourself so I will be replacing that with a stainless 10/ 22.

As far as a self defense against the 2 legged vermin, yeah a higher caliber would be better but, I don't know of any bad guys coming at me saying "Oh its only .22s I can keep going" Yeah you throw 25 pieces of lead at me at 1300fps I'm thinking twice.

Someone please answer this for me - Can you shoot 22 shorts out of the 10/22? If so that is alot quieter.

I to am in the process of setting up my "battery" and here is my goal: 1 9mm pistol, ammo is cheap and I am better with it. 2. Stainless 10/22 3. home defense shotgun 18 and 28 in barrel 4. 223/556 cal rifle (probably AR style) for fun and protection and 5. 308/762 for hunting.

TTUL
No my friend, a .22 short doesnt have the capacity to actuate the semi auto correctly. Even if you work the action manually, (the 10/22 doesnt offer the ability to lock the bolt for single shots) you run the very real risk of lodging the bullet in the barrel, and we all know what happens when you fire the next round,, ouch! A 10/22 is an excellent choice in a survival situation. I have five of them in the stable with 5K of ammo for each. The ammo is cheap, light and quiet. Try to carry 5K of .223 and bigger on your back with all the rest of your gear. Im not saying that I dont have others that are go to weapons if and when the need arises, but the little 10/22 is hard to beat.
When you mention a 9mm, your on track there also. In a 12 gauge, look at #4 buck shot, 27 .20 cal. slugs per round, very lethal at 50 yards. For bird shot, I like #4. In .223, I have and use many different rifles, the skys the limit on price here so keep in simple, possibly a Ruger mini 14, they are fairly accurate and reliable. If your looking for that .762, take a close look at
the venerable old .30-06, hard to top and ammo is available for fairly cheap, and it will take down any animal that walks on two or four legs on the planet.

I love the 10-22, with a drop-in trigger upgrade it becomes a great shooter and they last forever I shot mine so much I had to replace the fireing pin and some springs! we are talking 10's of thousands of rounds over a 22 year period and the rifle was used to start with.
I would suggest a Kel-Tec SU 16 for the 223 or a Kel-Tec 2000 carbine in
9mm that accepts the mags (Glock) your handgun uses

Congratulations on taking ACTIVE steps to take care of your family in a SHTF scenario!! :s0155:

Calibers and configurations are a matter of personal choice, but IMHO semi-auto pistols/rifles are best for "combat/self-defense" purposes.

IMHO your basic kit should consist of:

1. Rifle-

.22LR is good "starter" caliber and DEFINITELY useful (I could bring you to your knees with one... actually I'd take out your knees first ;) )... go for a 10/22 with synthetic stock (very low maintenance) for around $200 or less, and get some 25-rnd. magazines for it. (I have a couple 10/22's and love them!)

.223/5.56/7.62x39 great for defense/hunting at close to intermediate ranges... an AR is/can be spendy($600-$2,400+) AK's can be had for $350-$450. (I have several of both type of rifle.)

.308/7.62x51 or 7.62.54R are heavy hitters for the "final word" (save for .50BMG shooters) in SHTF and hunting for food. M14/Galil(spendy), a Remington bolt-action (moderately priced), or a bolt-action Mosin-Nagant (under $200) (I have an Israeli Galil in .308)

2. Pistol-

IMHO a semi-auto would be the best for a SHTF... faster reloads, larger capacity magazines means more shots between reloads.

9mm is adequate, .40S&W is better, .45ACP is a fantastic "combat round". (I have two autos in 9mm, and three autos in .45 ACP)

If you go with a revolver, IMHO a .357 is the best option, you can shoot .38 special for practice (cheaper and easier on your wrist) or run with the "pick a guy up and throw him back 6 feet" .357 loads that are out there. I like Ruger GP-100's and SP-101's, they are rugged, well made, and are reasonable in price. S&W, and Colt make sweet revolvers, but tend to cost more. (I have a Ruger and S&W in .357)

3. Shotgun

12ga. 3" chamber, in pump action makes a FANTASTIC and VERSATILE close-in weapon, plus you can bag birds for food with them. You can get a Remington-870, or a Mossberg-500 pump-action, used for under $200 and new for around $250-$350. I own several Mossberg-500's

The above mentioned calibers are going to be the most "common" and "plentiful" for you to pick up, and the reason I say you need a rifle, pistol, and shotgun is because I was trained (back in the day) to think of defensive zones in concentric circles... the outer circle is rifle use, the next one in is shotgun/pistol, the next one in from that is pistol/knife... after that its eye gouging, kicking/punching, and biting!

Once you get a piece, focus on stockpiling ammo for it and getting proficient with it before you focus on getting an additional piece... then stockpile some ammo for that once you get it. Don't focus on "how far you have to go", just chip away at it, set a couple bucks aside every time you are able (like not buying that soda/Starbucks and just drink water) and before you know it, you'll have a "comfortable" cache built up!

Hope that helps! :s0155:

All excellent advise! The part about the Gallil in .308,,,:s0152: I NEED! I have two in .223, those are some of the most dependable units on the market, bar none. Well done Stomper, nice;)

All excellent advise! The part about the Gallil in .308,,,:s0152: I NEED! I have two in .223, those are some of the most dependable units on the market, bar none. Well done Stomper, nice;)

I almost "lust" after Galils, and have contemplated getting a couple .223 Galils, but I'm so flush with AR's (and they are great weapons anyway) that I had to draw the line and just say, "no" to the .223 Galils... so I will be content with my IMI in .308... LOL

BTW- I just got 500 rounds of very nice looking Malaysian surplus .308 delivered to my door today from Surplus Ammo... man, I need to get more stripper clips! Gotta feed the pig... WOO HOO!!

Teaser picks... ;)

FinishedGalil-1a.jpg
FinishedGalil-3a.jpg

OK, sorry for the thread hi-jack!!

Just bought a 10 22 with a bull barrel and a cool adjustable stock.Great shoot so far.Benn on this track for a while
so I googled 10 22.

The Masaad was using them against the Palestinians for a quiet sniper type riffle
I guess it could be a man stopper. A marksman with a tuned up 22 rifle and the right rounds to the head would do the trick.

Oh and it would be a great dinner getter too

Is the Galil any good? I already have SA M1A with 6x40 scope, but it's very heavy & bulky.

In a word, YES. Its based on the AK 47 yet improved to a point that it's almost a curse word to compare the two. If your looking for light weight battle rifles though, this isnt her. They come in @ over eight pounds dry. The two that I have in .223 have been reliable to the point that they are 1st on the grab list over the several AR'S, Mini's and AK's that sleep together with them. To be completely honest, I have never had one FTF, and it doesnt seem to matter what you feed them.
I have no experience with the .308, (perhaps Stomper can chime in here) but if they are anything like the .223's they are indeed worth looking at. Do a google search FMJ, they are not cheap knock off's, but I've been really happy mine.
If "apf" is looking for that one to put away for a SHTF possibility, this one in either caliber would get the job done well.
Just my 2 cents.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top