JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sounds like it was downgraded due to no lane assist and no automatic emergency braking. If I'm off road, automatic lane assist and automatic braking are pretty much the last thing I would want.

So it doesn't meet the euro union's safety guidelines? I say that is a plus! Piss on the euro union's rules about having automatic lane assist and automatic braking. It would just increase the cost for something not needed or wanted probably by most. Not to mention unneeded complexity which is one more thing to break later.

From the article:

"It is truly disappointing to see a brand-new car being put on sale in 2018 with no autonomous braking system and no lane assistance"

Last Edited:
Sounds like it was downgraded due to no lane assist and no automatic emergency braking.

A number of Consumer Reports ago, the Big Issue was literally "not ENOUGH cup holders".....

While agreeably there are areas of design lagging behind the 'competition', never in those anguished pages was there reports of actual off-roading beyond a possibly slick driveway, or rural life style uses that might not be longing for self dimming mirrors or headlights switching on automatically. I for one was overjoyed when air conditioning, automatic transmission and removable hard top panels were available.

The various Jeep forum sites list ample reasons and complaints for dissatisfaction with the Marque. Still somehow whatever the flaws a growing market continues.

The more gadgets they put on vehicles dumb down the driving public, ie: self parking cars, lane alert systems, WiFi, etc......

JMO
That's a fact. If I was allowed to publicly discuss details of my job (confidentiality clause, blah blah blah) you'd lose what's left of your confidence in the human race.

That's a fact. If I was allowed to publicly discuss details of my job (confidentiality clause, blah blah blah) you'd lose what's left of your confidence in the human race.
Nuff said. You don't need to elaborate much.

We can take what we know and use the factor of 10 to make some accurate assumptions.

For what it's worth, this guy has always been a nice guy when I've talked to him. He isn't a rube or a jerk, or at least that hasn't been my experience with him. I see no issue with what he was doing.

I agree that he probably lit some dry grass with his exhaust or something, but in my experience, once that magnesium starts, there's no stopping it. He attempted to put out the flames and when that failed, he had the wherewithal to keep it from starting a range fire.

He got his necessary survival gear out of the vehicle, sent his coordinates, and got out. Plus he went to the expense of finding a wrecker to go get the wreck.

Not sure why so many people are so quick to criticize the guy because they don't like the "glamping" aspect of his gear or something.

I just feel bad he lost his rig and worse yet, had to sit and watch it burn. Hind sight is always 20/20...

Bought my wife a new Grand Cherokee in 1997. It was really nice looking. But that did not count for much for the number of times it broke down on the road and had to be towed. We now drive Toyota's. My 4R will go just about anywhere and so far, it has always gotten me home.

I don't think it's much of a "survival story" as much as an inconvenience story.
I mean, the guy had all the gear in the world and made a cell phone call to be brought to town.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top