JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A couple of my own responses to this marvelous video (thanks for posting);
1) impressively prepared survival gear;
2) importance of retrieval/CONTACT/LOCATION planning;
3) adequate kit for overnight stay while making video of the process;

Jeep comments: I've had 5 Jeeps over the last 50 years. Granted the 1st one was a 'learner Jeep' CJ2 1945.mil.gov model in the Kennedy era. 2nd was a marvelous 1954 Overland wagon someone had installed Ford 6; with the 5.88s it would climb anything although with valves rattling beyond about 50mph the open road was tedious; the J2000 was grand and beefy muscle but with enough electrical gremlins it put me off the entire Marque for 20 years; 2007JK was pleasant & reliable serious upgrade; 2015 JK Willys Wheeler perfect for my lifestyle with absolutely no issues as of 42000 mile mark. I regard it as the high-watermark offspring of the uneasy marriage between Mercedes & Chrysler before the divorce and before Fiat ineptness had contaminated the entire lineup. The 265hp V6 and 5 speed auto are giving great performance for my daily use in any case.

I'll have to integrate the lessons of this video into my upgrade plans.

Does he know why his Jeep burned yet? Driving in too deep of brush or something like that caught a piece of brush that started burning with a hot engine?

Looks like private property. He was trespassing . He should be in jail. He caused it all. City people, stay home! We don't want you here! You have no reason to be over here. Not meaning to be nasty just telling it like it is. And everyone wonders what causes wild fires.

There's been a number of fires related to electrical sources, some of which reportedly related to 'owner-installed errors'; also there's been some due to leaky transmission oil line fittings. I'd be quite interested in learning the cause his Mr. Outback's problem.

He caused it all.
While I understand the sentiment/hostility toward 'city people', I'm unsure of which of the various charges you make are factual. Glass Butte is a well known area that is often visited by many over the seasons; the sheer number of ruts & 'roads' suggest such use. Seeing the lack of 'no trespassing' signs in the wide open spaces of the High Desert doesn't guarantee public access, agreed. Regarding fires caused by vehicles bursting into flames, BLM/etc has ways to close such ranges, and the lack of !ahHA! reports from outraged eco-groups from more than rare events such as this being cause of fires suggests frequency of occurrence is low.

'Telling it like it is' surely must include the story of the intrepid tourist from afar, of varying degrees of competency for exploration of their own state unpaved areas. Such unwelcomed visitors are held to scorn and disdain, yet who can realistically argue suppressing their journey, and under what legal basis?

That he actually removed the burned out hulk of his outfit, at great effort, where there remained debris from many decades past of at least 1 actual homesteader/resident, who abandoned his place leaving junk strewn about, begs to have that story illustrated as well. That his vocal concern for avoiding range fire and that he took what steps he could to prevent spread is another mark in his responsible use of the area. Further, what damage ensued, other than to his own gear?

Just wondering, as I too wander about in the Outback now & then.

Last Edited:
My dad bought a 1969 Dodge Charger, brand new. Then had two more engines installed under warranty. It cost him time and aggravation... that car was a LEMON!!

I owned a semi-restored CJ2. The original 4cyl engine needed a bit of work. But once running it was reliable. Not much top speed, but low would climb a tree!! The body had so much rust that I could have stuck my feet down thru the floorboard to move Fred Flintstone style. The rear fenders were diamond plate, and the rest had a real purdy powder blue paint job. I sold that one after trying to drive to work on the ice... short wheelbase, big tires, hang on!!!

The ex and I bought one of the Cherokee wagons that was sporty... I don't remember what year but it was full size and the fenders stuck out. Had a V8 with bad valve guides/seals, and a 3sp on the floor. Back country ride was durn good. Despite the engine, I really liked that car and was sad to see the ex get it in the divorce.

The next Cherokee I had was a crummy that my current wife and I bought for $1000. Looked more like a Wagoneer than a sport model. We went everywhere in the mountains with that rig. Fishing, hunting, mushrooming, travel to backpack trailheads, exploring. Same valve guide problems but that rig just keep going. One time the headliner fell away and we found the area packed with sand... apparently sometime in it's former life it had been overturned in a river. Energizer Bunny of rigs!!! When we were ready, we sold it for $1000 about 12yrs after we bought it.
Photos&Scans 009.jpg

My last Chrysler product was a brand new (the only new car I've ever had!) 2004 Ram 3500 dually with the Cummins diesel. I bought it to haul RVs as a transport biz. The Cummins was good, if noisy, but the automatic trans was from Mercedes because the original trannies were failing consistently. The Mercedes tranny didn't help. I learned the rig was geared wrong for towing. 50mph in 4th gear, or 75mph in 5th gear... not good for transport biz. The electrical in that gave me fits with constant failures. Was glad to be rid of it!!!

Many trips out in the woods since we live here in NE Oregon. We are always prepared with shovels, water, fire, beer, etc. When I traveled to the mountaintop radio towers for work, I had a go bag that I kept in the rig, even tho we had food and water and sleeping bags inside the radio building, what if we never got there? On one fine winter evening, the old Chevy blew a water hose on the way back. We were only about 1/4 mile from the building, and we could have gone back and called the Sheriff dept or Search and Rescue for help, but we decided to walk out. I grabbed my day pack/go bag. In it was extra gloves, extra socks, a space blanket, myriad firestarters, a ring saw, TP, water, 4 knives, lightsticks, flagging tape, 4 small flashlights, a headlamp, and some other stuff. We left the rig about 12 midnight and were in town by 3am. Nice walk on packed snow, I would for sure do it again. :)

Last Edited:
Looks like private property. He was trespassing . He should be in jail. He caused it all. City people, stay home! We don't want you here! You have no reason to be over here. Not meaning to be nasty just telling it like it is. And everyone wonders what causes wild fires.
Have you checked out ifish.com? it's a really cool fishing site

Well the Jeep Rubicon is off my list.
Not the Jeep's fault. Weeds and dry grass against exhaust or wrapped around drivenline will burn. I've had smoldering grass/weeds on numerous vehicles over the years. U have to watch for it and check every once and a while when driving through weeds or grass. Not a vehicle fault. Human fault.

Not the Jeep's fault. Weeds and dry grass against exhaust or wrapped around drivenline will burn. I've had smoldering grass/weeds on numerous vehicles over the years. U have to watch for it and check every once and a while when driving through weeds or grass. Not a vehicle fault. Human fault.
His second to last video or so he's totally bushwhackin it over hill and dale for no reason other than for sits and squiggles.

So basically he put the "Rube" in Rubicon?:rolleyes:

Did we really need Inspector Clouseau van culture dotting our landscape and highways?

As an old Clouseau fan I don't understand your reference here, but do recognize the AMC era of Jeep. Thankfully it ended before extinguishing the Jeep flame completely.
They nearly did the same to Harley.

That the marque survived the corporate mistakes a bowling machine company infused into the rolling stock, was evidence of consumer demand for the product regardless of errors.

...so who then put the iCon in 'Rube-iCon'???
The saleman I-Con you..... Rube-I-Con you......

The idiot explains his biggest mistake he made at 23:10 no sympathy for him or the others that think it's OK to wander off the beaten path being ill prepared. Another smart phone addict that couldn't even put the damn thing down even when retrieving items from the rig.

Last Edited:
As an old Clouseau fan I don't understand your reference here, but do recognize the AMC era of Jeep. Thankfully it ended before extinguishing the Jeep flame completely.
They nearly did the same to Harley.

That the marque survived the corporate mistakes a bowling machine company infused into the rolling stock, was evidence of consumer demand for the product regardless of errors.
I was referring to the explosion of the Daimler Sprinter vans which have made their way here. They remind me of Clouseau's van when he was disguised as the telephone repairman.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top