JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This video captures what appears to be a real-life survival story from central/eastern Oregon and contains many good reminders. Here are a few things I noted:
  • I probably don't carry nearly enough water when trekking off the beaten path in summer.
  • If you carry multiple firearms in your vehicle and you find yourself having to walk out of a bad situation, you will either abandon them in place in hopes of retrieving them later, or they will become a LOT of extra weight to carry.
  • It is surprising how some small, favorite, seemingly insignificant food items can boost moral when facing adversity. In this case, some chilled coconut water.
  • A shovel is a necessary item, especially during fire season, and a small, folding shovel may not be adequate.
  • He did a good job knowing when to abandon one hopeless effort in exchange for another which would be productive rather than wasting precious time and energy.
  • Given the season, his choice to stop, rest, and most of all hydrate after having checked the most critical boxes was a wise one.
  • The most foolish thing this guy said was "Guess it's time to buy a new Jeep Rubicon"...

Great video. Thanks for sharing.

As prepared as he was, if that had happened when he was wandering around the homestead, and he lost his GPS and water in the fire, we probably never would have seen it....

[QUOTE="Defense Minister, post: 2210765, member: 11720"
  • It is surprising how some small, favorite, seemingly insignificant food items can boost moral..[/QUOTE]
I always try to bring hotdogs and marshmallows.

My wife wants a Jeep REALLY badly.... but they're a frakin junk pile made by Fiat...... NO DICE!! Every Chrysler product I've ever owned gave me nothing but headaches.... every one of them.
I know someone who has one and they said 'everything is just wrong' with the Jeep. Mostly the interior was what they were talking about.

My SIL had a new Grand Cherokee and it was pretty nice, but he fell out of love with it pretty fast.

My wife wants a Jeep REALLY badly.... but they're a frakin junk pile made by Fiat...... NO DICE!! Every Chrysler product I've ever owned gave me nothing but headaches.... every one of them.

I worked on cars when I was in my teens and early twenties - I've never considered owning a Chrysler product as a result.

The only exception I MIGHT consider these days would be a late model (early 2000's) diesel Ram truck.

I've had plenty of Jeep's, both Wranglers and older Cherokees, and loved every one of 'em.
But....they totally blew it when they went away from their workhorse straight six and went with basically a v6 minivan engine. I can't speak to this guy's issues (and there are many), but I do know they'll never see another penny from me.

As the owner of a 1998 XJ Cherokee with the inline 6 (and having owned a 1987 XJ Wagoneer and another 1990 XJ Cherokee with the same engines), I'm a fan of Jeeps. Granted, they have their quirks and I haven't checked out the new ones, but all of the ones I've had have done good by me. Someday I might pick up a TJ, CJ5, or Scrambler, but that will likely be once the kids are a bit older. The XJ lets our family of 4 go wherever we need or want to go.

As for this guy's story, it sounds like he got fairly lucky. His relaxed attitude during the whole thing is almost enough to make the skeptic in me think he was expecting it, but the hassle and expense of the ordeal would be way too much trouble for any sane person to put themselves through. Regardless, a good reminder to always go prepared.

My wife wants a Jeep REALLY badly.... but they're a frakin junk pile made by Fiat...... NO DICE!! Every Chrysler product I've ever owned gave me nothin8g but headaches.... every one of them.

I know someone who has one and they said 'everything is just wrong' with the Jeep. Mostly the interior was what they were talking about.

My SIL had a new Grand Cherokee and it was pretty nice, but he fell out of love with it pretty fast.

It's a Jeep thang...you wouldn't understand;)

I'm being sarcastic.

My numb-nuts son-in-law likes Chrysler products, for some reason. First it was a Dodge Magnum wagon, he didn't have that one long. Next, it was a Dodge Ram pickup allegedly for "work." That thing fell apart quickly, brakes were a weak point. He got rid of that and next came a Dodge Grand Caravan mini van. Oh what a piece of trash that was, very many things went wrong with that, all starting just after the warranty ran out. Okay, so product no. 4 was a Durango. When he first showed up driving the Durango, I said, "Why do you keep buying Chrysler products??" He answered, "Oh, I've had pretty good luck with them." I have to admit, the Durango has turned out to be not too bad.

Just my opinion, I haven't liked much to come out of Chrysler since Cerberus took over. Daimler Benz and Fiat drove them further into the ground. If they hadn't bought the Jeep name, they'd be out of biz long ago. My ideal Chrysler product is a 1968 Dodge Coronet with the 383 engine, plain four door sedan will do.

But....they totally blew it when they went away from their workhorse straight six and went with basically a v6 minivan engine. I

My opinion, I don't think any of the Chrysler front wheel drive power trains are designed to last long. So a V-6 minivan engine in a Jeep wouldn't be my choice. One of Chrysler's historic strong points has been inline six engine designs.

Re. what to leave and what to carry out when your ride craps out. Okay, I've thought about this many times, never yet had to do it. If my vehicle breaks down or gets stuck in the woods, I'm not carrying out more than one firearm. Anything of value in the car including extra guns will be hidden in the woods away from the car. I know just enough about craziness that if you leave your vehicle unattended in the woods or the desert, you really shouldn't have high expectations of finding it intact when you get back to it. So guns left in a car have a pretty good chance of winding up in the hands of a tweaker. Hidden in the woods, some chance of being found but much less than if left in the vehicle.

Water. Most people who make a simple trip to the gravel pit don't have enough along with them. Food, carry a can of sardines in your vehicle. They will last a long time, don't take up much space, and taste pretty good when you're hungry. Take a flashlight. Never can tell how long that hike out to civilization might take.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top