JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
They are smart. I had peanut butter in outside mini fridge (I kept it there to bait traps). Overnight one time a racoon opened fridge, removed peanut butter jar, unscrewed the top, and ate his fill. Found it in the yard in the morning with claw marks all over it and fridge door open.
I had squirrels do that to me. Threw away a jar of peanut butter, emptied with lid on, and those buggers found it and unscrewed the lid.

Jeff Cooper is credited for coming up with the El Presidente back in the late 70s, which according to him was not anything to do with being tactical, it was all about dexterity. For over 40 years I've not heard of anyone replicating an El Presidente on the street.

The Mozambique on the other hand was supposed used in the wars, but as I stated above really serves no purpose. If you can reliably hit the head after two center mass, why waste the time...go for the head right away and save yourself some time, ammo and move on, especially if there's multiple targets. As I would suspect, everyone is doing it standing...add movement and see how well ya do...especially if both are moving.

Can one use the Mozambique as a dexterity skill builder....I suppose, large target to small target...changing gears type of drill, but there's better out there that would serve a better purpose for the street.

In the end, you do you. The OP asked about double taps, my opinion with what the encounters I've been in, and the people I've trained with...I'd go 3-5. And y'all know my opinion about the Mozambique.

In the end, just get out and train yourself...be efficient with your movement, your skills and accurate with all your shots. Whatever drill you do, keep all shots in the black of a B8

If ya come out and train with me...a word of warning...I turned 60 a couple weeks ago...try to keep up. Ha!

My buddy learned the hard way that raccoons will eat full grown chickens. He did bother properly secure his hen house and lost his 4 or 5 hens.

He thought he only had to worry about possible dog or coyote. :s0112:

He should have been out there like :s0035:
Yep they are meat eaters. Our hens are behind fencing but would not be hard for the wild dogs or the Raccoons to dig under. I have motion detector camera's out there and so far the critters are leaving the hens alone. As long as they do they can live here with me.:)

For us pesents that do not own full auto or live in WA like I do. Who practices double taps for a home self defense situation?
Personally I believe in the idea as part of the toolbox alongside singles and controlled-pairs, but good luck finding a range not run by Fudds who pee their pretty little pink panties at the mere THOUGHT of anything "tactical" or more applied than "paper circles or Bambi."

I started practicing quick 50 yard shots with a Glock 17 after Elisjsha Dicken dropped the Indiana mall shooter from 50 yards with a Glock 19. Dicken emptied his mag in seconds and landed (I believe) over 70% of his shots. It is impressive considering he was completely self-taught.

But yeah if you have a rifle handy, rifle > handgun 100% of the time.
So how's your kneecap?

Lol

For us pesents that do not own full auto or live in WA like I do. Who practices double taps for a home self defense situation? I have done this for several years and have got pretty compentent at it. Using an AR15 and .223. I can put 2 rounds in a 8" circle at 50 yards. The second round drifts becuase of reciol but you can still hold tight. Open to thoughts.
I was trained ala PD earlier in life to double tap with pistol and rifle. Works for me. Has worked for me. Two to the COM. Repeat as needed. The tap to the head is a no-no.

Last Edited:
I was trained ala PD earlier in life to double tap with pistol and rifle. Works for me.
As long as I can remember way back in the 90s when I was a Navy Resevist in a Detention Unit. The LEO/Military use of deadly force was always. 2 to the body, 1 to the head. Now LEOs empty an entire mag.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top