JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well I could practice double taps...but it would be a it awkward with what I usually shoot...:D
Andy

Andy to assailant: "Hold fast, ye brigand, whilst I reload to give ye the second tap upon ye olde noggin..."

Last Edited:
Andy to assailant: "Hold fast, ye brigand, whilst I reload to give ye the second tap to ye olde noggin..."
Well ifin' one of them guns don't work...there is always this , easy to do double tap with for sure... :D
I did go to the Samurai Sword school...it was run by John Belushison... :D
Andy

Well ifin' one of them guns don't work...there is always this , easy to do double tap with for sure... :D
I did go to the Samurai Sword school...it was run by John Belushison... :D
Andy
IIRC isn't the katana rather like the Gurkha kukri, where the weapon and sheath are designed so that just unsheathing it immediately goes straight into an attack? (It's been said of the kukri in particular that once it's drawn in anger momentum alone will see that it draws blood, whether your attacker's or your own.)

IIRC isn't the katana rather like the Gurkha kukri, where the weapon and sheath are designed so that just unsheathing it immediately goes straight into an attack? (It's been said of the kukri in particular that once it's drawn in anger momentum alone will see that it draws blood, whether your attacker's or your own.)
Yes indeed...all John Belushi aside...how you draw the Katana is part of the attack strike / stroke of the sword...most fights would have probably been over within seconds.
Andy

As long as I can remember way back in the 90s when I was a Navy Resevist in a Detention Unit. The LEO/Military use of deadly force was always. 2 to the body, 1 to the head. Now LEOs empty an entire mag.
Wow things have really changed, when I was on restriction at the Sand Point Detention Unit back in '78 they didn't let us have guns.

The difference between one shot and two shots is 0.17 second(ish). That's a very small price time-wise to double your chances of hitting something important. 2 to the body + 2 to the head + 2 to the crotch makes a compelling argument to the perp to cease and desist Imo, even if body armor is a factor.

For a reference of how much time that is, the time for your eyes to focus on the front sight is about 0.5 seconds, unless you are older then it takes longer.

Last Edited:
The difference between one shot and two shots is 0.17 second(ish). That's a very small price time-wise to double your chances of hitting something important. 2 to the body + 2 to the head + 2 to the crotch makes a compelling argument to the perp to cease and desist Imo, even if body armor is a factor.

For a reference of how much time that is, the time for your eyes to focus on the front sight is about 0.5 seconds, unless you are older then it takes longer.
Why waste time and ammo...just go straight to the head and get it over with.

Why waste time and ammo...just go straight to the head and get it over with.
I would say if the shooter is confident enough to do that on a moving target then that's great. A tiny movement of the head by the perp = a miss whereas movement of the torso and crotch is lot less. Clint smith's swinging targets drill shows that really well. In that drill following the head with a pistol requires a person to move the pistol a lot and stay on target while doing so. The body very little movement. The crotch basically no movement.

Last Edited:
I would say if the shooter is confident enough to do that on a moving target then that's great. A tiny movement of the head by the perp = a miss whereas movement of the torso and crotch is lot less. Clint smith's swinging targets drill shows that really well. In that drill following the head with a pistol requires a person to move the pistol a lot and stay on target while doing so. The body very little movement. The crotch basically no movement.
I'm good with that, and you make my point on the other side of the coin...still begs the question...how viable is the Mozambique Drill in reality?

In theory it sounds great...

If the head is that hard to hit, why waste the ammo...keep shooting at what you can reliably hit instead.

I think there are way better drills that get more training use than that one.

I'm good with that, and uou make my point on the other side of the coin...still begs the question...how viable is the Mozambique Drill in reality?

In theory it sounds great...

If the head is that hard to hit, why waste the ammo...keep shooting at what you can reliably hit instead.

I think there are way better drills that get more training use than that one.
Mozanbique drill is not for me. To me it is a formulaic response to a dynamic threat. And what's the chance of a real world encounter meeting the conditions of practice? (Probably very low). For me personally I focus on the ability to hit the three target zones as needed, in whatever order needed because you never know what the situation will be. Practicing that to the point where the subconscious does the acting, not the thinking part of the brain, is what I'm after (note I'm not saying don't think, I'm saying the subconscious is capable of reacting much faster, accurately, and more smoothly).

Mozanbique drill is not for me. To me it is a formulaic response to a dynamic threat. And what's the chance of a real world encounter meeting the conditions of practice? (Probably very low). For me personally I focus on the ability to hit the three target zones as needed, in whatever order needed because you never know what the situation will be. Practicing that to the point where the subconscious does the acting, not the thinking part of the brain, is what I'm after (note I'm not saying don't think, I'm saying the subconscious is capable of reacting much faster, accurately, and more smoothly).
I've gone full circle on the Mozambique. It was de regeuiere in the 80s and 90s, and it's still a very good drill I am still a fan of it, but I've also played with others. Iv'e gone further and adopted the Oswald Drill (three to the chest and then close and do a point blank to the head).

The fact of making two shots on a target, then shifting is highly valauble. If you are just shooting at a fixed target and never moving, you are not replicating the real world.

So say we all.

AF0CB57D-B8C4-4C63-ABC3-30AB808FBB3E.jpeg

1F164EF7-478F-41AD-B8E6-8C93DA2A3596.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR