JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
In Arizona a person with a Concealed Carry Permit can skip the wait period when
buying a handgun. What is the law in Washington regarding that?
I think I know the answer but...

Thanks

Thanks for the confirmations.

How long is it taking these days?

Is it still the law that if no response after 10 days the gun may be released?

I did not explain my followup question clearly. Let me rephrase.

Does anyone know the law as it relates to a failure by the state to
respond in the 10 day wait period?

I dont think that law was amended at all...

Even before, some shops wouldnt release after 10 days regardless of how the law reads...

At this point, the 10 day waiting period begins AFTER you have passed the check and NOT from the time filed. So in the case of no response, if your FFL will release after no response 10 days later... you still have to wait 10 days after that.

Im not clear if the law states calendar days or business days... but Tropics in Vancouver counts business days.

I submitted my background check on 12/30/23 and am able to pick it up on 1/17/24

In Arizona a person with a Concealed Carry Permit can skip the wait period when
buying a handgun. What is the law in Washington regarding that?
I think I know the answer but...

Thanks
It's useless here. Idk about our new state patrol 4473 system, but the nics federal one has no use for ssn. It delays you regardless of ssn so just leave it off for the other 49 states

This is the kind of question to ask the FFL BEFORE money changes hands. While the state law says one thing, the law does NOT say the FFL has to do this. This has been beat to death here ever since we lost the pay and go. Some FFL's would let the gun walk after the wait. Wife and I had this happen twice but it was a dealer we had been using since they opened. Other FFL's would not do this. All too often what would happen is someone would pay for a gun, then weeks later get all upset because the shop would not let the gun go. So again, no matter what someone on the net tells you. Go to the FFL and ask them before cash is spent. How are they going to handle it if there is a delay.

The 10 BUSINESS day waiting period begins at the the time of sale. That day of sale doesn't count, 10 buiness days must elapse, and that's full calendar days

There is NO 10 day discretionary release anymore, every release requires an APPROVAL. Where an NICS "OPEN" status USED to allow us to release or no response from an LE agency too...we could release at our discretion. Not anymore. The 4473 is still good for 30 calendar days and expires day 31, so if WSP takes 31 days to approve, we have to restart the process and submit another background check (+fee). That's Federal Law and WSP still does not understand that. I have it in writing from WSP saying the approval IS valid for 30 days. Nope, the 4473 is valid for 30 days, it's on the form.

Last Edited:
The 10 BUSINESS day waiting period begins at the the time of sale. That day of sale doesn't count, 10 buiness days must elapse, and that's full calendar days

There is NO 10 day discretionary release anymore, every release requires an APPROVAL. Where an NICS "OPEN" status USED to allow us to release or no response from an LE agency too...we could release at our discretion. Not anymore. The 4473 is still good for 30 calendar days and expires day 31, so if WSP takes 31 days to approve, we have to restart the process and submit another background check (+fee). That's Federal Law and WSP still does not understand that. I have it in writing from WSP saying the approval IS valid for 30 days. Nope, the 4473 is valid for 30 days, it's on the form.
Small tangent, but related to Washington laws, and I consider you to be the best FFL in the state. Are you selling AR9 uppers still, or no? Can people order them?

I thought you were the legal expert? 🤣

I can't wait for the reply to this highly relevant question.
The question seems relevant enough that its beat to death here weekly since the law went in. The law so poorly written few seem quite sure what the hell it really says. Many here seem to want to scream for boycott of any company that will not sell stuff to WA any more as if its the Co's fault that we did this here. Easy to tell others to take all the risk. As this shakes out in the courts many will just decide to not poke side show bob. Now as to what each dealer will do or won't do? Suppose it is great to know for anyone who is now trying to buy something they can't find any more here. I just hope all those getting real exercised about this also stay that way when it comes time to vote this year and every election after.

Small tangent, but related to Washington laws, and I consider you to be the best FFL in the state. Are you selling AR9 uppers still, or no? Can people order them?
We placed barrels, handguards and small parts back on the shelf this morning, resetting the store and reordering all the common items. Any parts we have available are for the repair and maintenance of existing firearms. Please email chase @ sporting-systems.com for more direct assistance.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top