JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The question seems relevant enough that its beat to death here weekly since the law went in. The law so poorly written few seem quite sure what the hell it really says. Many here seem to want to scream for boycott of any company that will not sell stuff to WA any more as if its the Co's fault that we did this here. Easy to tell others to take all the risk. As this shakes out in the courts many will just decide to not poke side show bob. Now as to what each dealer will do or won't do? Suppose it is great to know for anyone who is now trying to buy something they can't find any more here. I just hope all those getting real exercised about this also stay that way when it comes time to vote this year and every election after.
I disagree. The law - as it concerns private parties and gun parts - is exceptionally clear.

Only retailers and manufacturers have any (confusing) obligation regarding the legality of the buyer.

This is part of the problem, people here - such as my new BFF @RuckusReckus - believe that the laws that impacted retailers or the laws that banned complete "assault weapons" have banned or criminalized the parts - THAT IS SIMPLY UNTRUE.

The continued fear mongering and the bootlicking response of some retailers feeds that confusion/panic. The hand waving response here that there's a huge lack of clarity is a disservice to lawful gun owners trying to do their best to buy and sell responsibility. Further, the armchair lawyering and baseless accusations from folks like my BFF @RuckusReckus just make things worse.

There's so much FUDD going on here it makes me sick.

EDIT: either read the law in its entirety or consult an attorney…don't throw around claims and pontificate based on what you think you know.

California's gun owners went through this uncertainty with "off list lowers" for years while that AR ban made its way through the courts. Eventually more FFLs became comfortable selling lowers as long as they were not banned by make and model. This buffet of new anti-freedom legislation will cause the same process for everyone involved. The text of the statutes is different, but the turmoil is similar.

This is, of course, what the anti-freedom crowd wants.

A nuance the armchair/unlicensed attorneys here - crapping on WTB ads - have missed…just causing more confusion.

But hey, maybe trolling was the goal?
There are a lot of people missing a lot of nuances about the law. But it is great that the Sporting Systems guy knows his stuff.

I disagree. The law - as it concerns private parties and gun parts - is exceptionally clear.
I agree, it's pretty clear...

(23) "Import" means to move, transport, or receive an item from a place outside the territorial limits of the state of Washington to a place inside the territorial limits of the state of Washington. "Import" does not mean situations where an individual possesses a large capacity magazine or assault weapon when departing from, and returning to, Washington state, so long as the individual is returning to Washington in possession of the same large capacity magazine or assault weapon the individual transported out of state.

I agree, it's pretty clear...

(23) "Import" means to move, transport, or receive an item from a place outside the territorial limits of the state of Washington to a place inside the territorial limits of the state of Washington. "Import" does not mean situations where an individual possesses a large capacity magazine or assault weapon when departing from, and returning to, Washington state, so long as the individual is returning to Washington in possession of the same large capacity magazine or assault weapon the individual transported out of state.
And to further clarify - the "item" in question is an "assault weapon," (or "high capacity" magazine) not any other non-serialized part.

Thus…importing, selling or buying parts - even "assault weapon" parts - is not illegal.

EDIT: @RuckusReckus - are you following this? 😘

(1) No person in this state may manufacture, import, distribute, sell, or offer for sale any large capacity magazine, except as authorized in this section.

(1) No person in this state may manufacture, import, distribute, sell, or offer for sale any assault weapon, except as authorized in this section.

(1) No person in this state may manufacture, import, distribute, sell, or offer for sale any large capacity magazine, except as authorized in this section.

(1) No person in this state may manufacture, import, distribute, sell, or offer for sale any assault weapon, except as authorized in this section.
Yep. An assault weapon or a large capacity magazine…

Nothing in there about uppers, barrels, grips, trigger groups, etc.

Like I said, extremely clear. But you know some people want to pretend they know more than they do…or want to troll.

Small tangent, but related to Washington laws, and I consider you to be the best FFL in the state. Are you selling AR9 uppers still, or no? Can people order them?
Aww shucks, that's the nicest things anyone has said to me in quite a while. You'd be surprised how much negativity we catch from the 2A community, albeit most of them have no idea of the guns laws and such being passed.

Nothing in there about uppers, barrels, grips, trigger groups, etc.
The retailers are obviously spooked by the list of features enumerated as AW qualifiers. plus there is that other 'public nuisance' law that reads like FFLs could readily come under arbitrary and capricious scrutiny.

Brownells will sell a bolt or a trigger, but not a handguard, collapsible stock, flash hider, et cetera.

I think the only things truly banned are complete AWs and serialized receivers. Seems like you do too.

And I would also like to see less panic-botting, dumb questions born from laziness, and other nonsense about all this.

Only retailers and manufacturers have any (confusing) obligation regarding the legality of the buyer.
Then by all means, start a small business and rake in the cash. You are an expert at this, a LOT of people in WA want this stuff and can't find it. So take out loans and start making money. Instead of sitting at a keyboard put your money up since you would make a lot of sales. Why are you not doing this?

Then by all means, start a small business and rake in the cash. You are an expert at this, a LOT of people in WA want this stuff and can't find it. So take out loans and start making money. Instead of sitting at a keyboard put your money up since you would make a lot of sales. Why are you not doing this?
🤣🤣🤣

Nice job. You've just shown everyone how little you know about the law…

If I was a business, then the vague parts of the law WOULD apply to me.

But thank you for the compliment. I don't consider myself an expert but I do have the ability to read the RCWs - which, I guess a lot of folks have failed to do.

Yourself included…and who could forget my good friend @RuckusReckus - the king of baseless claims.

After being thoroughly confused by some of the replies I looked up the statute. Ten BUSINESS days from submission of application.
No "Pass Go" with a concealed carry permit. When the WSP approves you (about 4 business days into the process) you still need to wait
another 6 BUSINESS days. If as in my case you bought from an out of state dealer and waited for it to be shipped to your FFL those days
count for nada. If you were the successful auction bidder and waited still another 10 days for the auction to end (no early buy option at Gun Broker) then the total wait time is 30 days.

This new statute becomes effective Feb 28th, 2024 but as all the FFLs have done the paperwork to get into the new system they most likely started using it Jan1st even though they did not have to.

I am confused about why some websites selling concealed carry holsters are stating "Not Available in Washington".
Can that be right???

Enough!

After being thoroughly confused by some of the replies I looked up the statute. Ten BUSINESS days from submission of application.
No "Pass Go" with a concealed carry permit. When the WSP approves you (about 4 business days into the process) you still need to wait
another 6 BUSINESS days. If as in my case you bought from an out of state dealer and waited for it to be shipped to your FFL those days
count for nada. If you were the successful auction bidder and waited still another 10 days for the auction to end (no early buy option at Gun Broker) then the total wait time is 30 days.

This new statute becomes effective Feb 28th, 2024 but as all the FFLs have done the paperwork to get into the new system they most likely started using it Jan1st even though they did not have to.

I am confused about why some websites selling concealed carry holsters are stating "Not Available in Washington".
Can that be right???

Enough!
The AG here is VERY anti gun. This has caused some dealers in other states to just not want to deal with WA AT ALL. Sadly gun owners here did this to themselves. Now we have to wait and see if the courts toss this and or more gun owners will not sit out elections and turn this around. The AG here is trying to become the next governor. If he wins that seat? More laws like this are coming sadly.

1706824893838.png

Aloha, Mark

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews