JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Personally, for all the reasons listed and one more do I prefer non-ported.. namely, if I have to contact shoot some creature or person, the directional plasma ball of my non flash reduced magnum or +P+ loads will kinda hurt the bad thing.. a heck of a lot.

The single stack carry segment of the market seems to be pretty dang competitive.
Walther had their PPS-M2 rebated down to crazy low prices not long ago.
This ported Shield option looks like market-driven bling to me.
Not a fan.

Last Edited:
Personally, for all the reasons listed and one more do I prefer non-ported.. namely, if I have to contact shoot some creature or person, the directional plasma ball of my non flash reduced magnum or +P+ loads will kinda hurt the bad thing.. a heck of a lot.
In other words you want "Light 'im Up!" to be literal rather than just figurative. LOL

But Doug Koenig is *paid* by the fraction of a second and the fraction of an inch, and never shoots a nighttime match... if it don't work for you groggy, half asleep and with the usual wake-up-time crud in your eyes when the 2am kick-in-the-door comes, it don't count, simple as that.

Sorta like how putting two rounds into one hole is a neat trick on the range though admittedly one that takes tremendous skill, but it don't work so well when you need to make more than one hole in a target to induce bleed-out.
How many Dale Earnhardt Monte Carlos have you seen on the streets? In 1972, 95% of S&W 29s were sold at grossly inflated prices to those who wanted somehow to be like Dirty Harry. Same thing with ports and scallops and rails and lights and lasers and Molle gear and 24/7 Tacticool. We can't be the hero, but we can emulate his gear.

As is shown regularly on Active Self Protection, getting the first round on target is your greatest assurance of surviving, if not winning.

Last Edited:
True, @po18guy --I guess my main thrust is saying you have to know the strengths and drawbacks of your gear, and decide what tradeoffs are acceptable to you personally. :)

For example, because I'm used to carrying huge, heavy laptop cases stuffed full of "mobile data warehouse" gear all day every day, slipping a 10", 8-10# AR15 pistol into my briefcase isn't as much of a big deal as it would be to somebody who doesn't have that background--my main concern in doing so would be how to handle the matter in interactions with your brothers of the Thin Blue Line, since its "mission statement" is "for cases when my 1911 isn't enough, and Passively Wait For The Cav is not an available option."

Still not a fan.
He knew his conclusion before he started, IMO.
Did he mention increased sound back onto the shooter ?
That's why muzzle brakes are not recommended for hunting, for example.

Basically the most cartridge and gun you can comfortably conceal. YMMV. I was carrying a 2" Taurus 85SS with Ruger ARX. Switched out to an AMT DAO 45 Backup with Hornady Critical Defense 185s. Anyone with a finicky 45, have a look at the Hornady FTX bullet in their Critical Defense ammo. A unique, semi-pointed shape that seems to solve all feeding ramp problems. If it feeds slowly by hand, it'll feed under pressure.

Still not a fan.
He knew his conclusion before he started, IMO.
Did he mention increased sound back onto the shooter ?
That's why muzzle brakes are not recommended for hunting, for example.

I agree. He was trying to prove a point.

A port is different then a break. Its up not back. I don't think they are necessary, but they don't really matter. Just get one if you want it

Porting is a waste of money on a defensive handgun. You won't notice the recoil and the increased upward muzzle flash in a nighttime combat situation is blinding.

If it isn't broken, don't fix it.
The loudness of the discharge, the recoil - everything we try to mitigate in practice is not even noticed during shots fired in anger. I have an AMT DAO Backup 45 with the notorious heavy trigger. But, during a fire fight, it will sound like it has a bump stock!

So the question comes up why would S&W build a carry pistol that has obvious side effects to its use?
The Shield is fine left alone so why add these if they don't improve anymore then they hurt.
its a sad reality that many people buy defensive guns because they look "tacticool".... S&W also builds a 1911 with slide cutouts just for looks, and the bbl isn't even ported. o_O

They sell them 9mm 40sw and 45 acp
I have heard several times that 45acp is not a high pressure round and does not make a difference in a ported barrel. Ports and comps only work in high pressure rounds like 9 and 40...

Note: I have no personal experience with that last part.... just what Ive heard many times.

Ok, we are talking about a comp ( or porting) on a 9mm right? A round without enough escaping gas to make it work. WTF! A 40 I could understand. Maybe it's time to rethink really lightweight guns? I have for years thought and taught light guns are great to carry but difficult to shoot accurately, I have never had any luck with ladies guns. Maybe you fellas with soft little lady hands have better luck, but I doubt your weak little wrists will hold up.

NSFW - Naughty Language, but another bit debunking the blast myth on a comped gun at retention position. Mute the volume if you don't like 4 letter words. Its worth a watch.

I agree. He was trying to prove a point.

A port is different then a break. Its up not back. I don't think they are necessary, but they don't really matter. Just get one if you want it
A brake is essentially the same concept as porting.
You're trying to brake (slow down) muzzle rise by directing gasses out the side and/or top of the barrel just before the muzzle.
Anytime you do that, more dB's are coming back to the shooter.

Only thing I have to add is when shooting my new-to-me Glock 22c last night, I couldn't tell much difference between it and, say, a compact 9mm and I really only saw an extra flash if I looked for it. If you want a ported barrel, go for it. Carry what makes you happy/comfortable

I'm sorry, but a port in the dark will always be a hindrance on a defensive handgun. I'd be willing to gamble that in the event of any firefight (the preponderance of which take place in the dark) you will not perceive any recoil than you would in a normal setting. In fact, the "tunnel vision" and tachypsychia that cloud your perception will likely negate any felt recoil.

hqdefault.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads