JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So. I got me a kimber k6s 3in and it's supper nice to carry. But it's not supper nice to shoot. I have a Glock 21 that's supper nice to shoot but kinda sucks to carry. I will carry the Glock nine times out of ten. I like my revolvers but my semi guns carry and shoot better.

Carry the gun you're comfortable shooting and find a good holster for it. I'm 6ft 190lbs and built like a pencil, but with my cross fire( I think that's what it's called) in the waste band holster. I can comfortably conceal and carry a full sized Glock 21 every day.

However I will suggest a lighter pistol. The Glock 21 with a full mag is a god damn heavy hunk of lead and I've been looking into the s&w shield 45. But I also have a ruger lc9 that is a work horse.

So. I got me a kimber k6s 3in and it's supper nice to carry. But it's not supper nice to shoot. I have a Glock 21 that's supper nice to shoot but kinda sucks to carry. I will carry the Glock nine times out of ten. I like my revolvers but my semi guns carry and shoot better.

Carry the gun you're comfortable shooting and find a good holster for it. I'm 6ft 190lbs and built like a pencil, but with my cross fire( I think that's what it's called) in the waste band holster. I can comfortably conceal and carry a full sized Glock 21 every day.

However I will suggest a lighter pistol. The Glock 21 with a full mag is a god damn heavy hunk of lead and I've been looking into the s&w shield 45. But I also have a ruger lc9 that is a work horse.
In my pursuit to find the "older age" holy grail of carry guns a did a stint with the Shield .45. Concealed well, certainly more than accurate enough and was considerably lighter on the hip than the Combat Commander.

Then the Sig P365 caught my eye at the beginning of the plandemic. That's been a sweet carry, and it's light enough I can carry 46 rounds in addition to the 12+1 already onboard the pistol. She's certainly accurate enough for self defense work and has since become the recipient of a can and optical sight.

And lastly, I was intrigued by the Airweight S&W 642, so much so one followed me home. That 5 round .38 Special +P capable revolver just simply disappears into the waistband. At a mere 14 oz unloaded, I honestly have to say it's the only non-intrusive firearm I've ever carried. And I e been carrying for about 35 years.

That revolver and four reloads should be able to get me out of just about any unfortunate situation I find myself in. Considering I avoid lots of locations and situations that could be detrimental to my health, happiness and well-being.

After shooting the Glock 19, effortless to shoot, and where all my attention is spent sighting and shooting the target, with the 9mm blast being a nice boon, I am kicking around the G43, or the G43X, depending on concealability of the G43X.

Probably will eyeball/grip them both at the shop to tell. Will entail a sort of educated impulse buy at point of purchase, as the Smith 442 is what I had signed up for.

Some thought has gone in to the issue of accidental discharge, and I suspect the G43s, with their Safe Action trigger, could be better than the 442, which just has a heavy trigger.

I pulled this from a recent article and found his choice for a sidearm interesting. I'm guessing he's proficient and intends to end things quickly.

IMG_3225.jpeg

After shooting the Glock 19, effortless to shoot, and where all my attention is spent sighting and shooting the target, with the 9mm blast being a nice boon, I am kicking around the G43, or the G43X, depending on concealability of the G43X.

Probably will eyeball/grip them both at the shop to tell. Will entail a sort of educated impulse buy at point of purchase, as the Smith 442 is what I had signed up for.

Some thought has gone in to the issue of accidental discharge, and I suspect the G43s, with their Safe Action trigger, could be better than the 442, which just has a heavy trigger.
You should have no issue concealing a G43X. Personally not a fan of the 43 simply due to the short grip. A quality belt and holster will make the 43X or 48 disappear.

Like most, I do love the looks of the 1911, but two factors are a problem: I am loathe to trust the complexity of a semi auto, and also the concealability of it could be a problem. I live in Portland. They notice something like that and they're likely to freak out.
It's really all about dressing for concealment, picking the right holster/belt combo, and, to some degree, your own size.

I carry a Commander-sized 1911 (full sized frame, 4.25" barrel) almost every day and no one notices. My wife didn't even notice until I showed her.

Carrying concealed in PDX isn't really an issue as long as you keep it concealed. If folks are flipping out, something went wrong and you aren't concealed anymore. Hopefully it's for the right reason(s).

Re: complexity: it's a battle-tested and proven design. Get a quality 1911, run a few hundred rounds of your defensive ammo (NOT "practice ammo" for reliability testing) and if it meets reliability requirements, you're set. Remember: many police departments had some of the same concerns about switching from revolvers to semi-automatics. Proper training and knowing your gun inside and out go a long way.

I just picked up the aluminum kimber k6xs 38 special for around the home pocket carry, and it will replace my 442 for that role. Very nice shooter, but so is the 442. I just like the extra round, and it still fits in my pocket just fine. The 442 will move to deep concealment and bug duty.

20230822_101124.jpg

The G43X is a great gun (heard from those that carry it). Small, decent capacity, and it's a Glock, so expect reliability. I prefer my P365 with a Wilson Combat grip. That's one of the things that I like about the 365, which is the ability to swap grip modules as I spend more time behind the gun and get a better feel for it. Started out with the standard grip and felt it was too small for me unless I wanted to be super spy concealed. Switched to an XL grip from Wilson and it's great. The beavertail, contour and texture really help with that initial purchase on the draw and keeps things from moving between shots. You won't be able to get that kind of versatility (that I know of) from the G43X.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top