JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anticipating "try both at the range to know," which I might do, hopefully soon, I am trying to weigh either variety of sub compact design for concealed carry.

I have a Smith 686+ right now for home.

Don't like the recoil much with .38 special, but it's not a deal breaker, in itself.

The recoil plus the double action, though, is kind of a distracting situation if I were to try to follow up with a second, third round.

On the other hand, I had a .22 ruger Semi Auto a while back, where the slide coming back also proved unpleasant. Too many times my thumb/index junction caught the brunt of it.

I am partial to revolvers (no internal lock) mainly because they are simple to operate.

I am close to plunking down the $500 for a Smith 442, but as they are aluminum, in part, I figure the recoil could be a problem.

I stopped by The Place to Shoot also Sporting Systems today, and both clerks were adamant that I'd need min. .380 for my purposes.

I am kinda skinny but not a weakling. Could just need to get more comfortable with the revolver.

Anticipating "try both at the range to know," which I might do, hopefully soon, I am trying to weigh either variety of sub compact design for concealed carry.

I have a Smith 686+ right now for home.

Don't like the recoil much with .38 special, but it's not a deal breaker, in itself.

The recoil plus the double action, though, is kind of a distracting situation if I were to try to follow up with a second, third round.

On the other hand, I had a .22 ruger Semi Auto a while back, where the slide coming back also proved unpleasant. Too many times my thumb/index junction caught the brunt of it.

I am partial to revolvers (no internal lock) mainly because they are simple to operate.

I am close to plunking down the $500 for a Smith 442, but as they are aluminum, in part, I figure the recoil could be a problem.

I stopped by The Place to Shoot also Sporting Systems today, and both clerks were adamant that I'd need min. .380 for my purposes.

I am kinda skinny but not a weakling. Could just need to get more comfortable with the revolver.
I'm taking my new (to me) S&W 646 Performance Center to the range tomorrow to try out. I may end up using it for CC but may not as it's a limited production gun. Very pretty and super ergonomics, will report back with range report.

In general, I assume you may not have shot handguns a lot. Not taking a cheap shot at you, just guessing.
If this is true, go shooting more. Revolvers are definitely a very reliable platform . Just put in the trigger time and get used to the mechanics of shooting double action.

If your 686+ has too much recoil for you with .38 special loads, I'm gonna be the guy to advocate for a .22 revolver, specifically a model 43c from smith as it has an 8 round capacity and .22 is a whole awful lot better than nothing. You won't want to shoot when it matters if the gun you're carrying is unpleasant for you

In general, I assume you may not have shot handguns a lot. Not taking a cheap shot at you, just guessing.
If this is true, go shooting more. Revolvers are definitely a very reliable platform . Just put in the trigger time and get used to the mechanics of shooting double action.
I just put down the membership fee for wife & myself at The Place To Shoot, so now that it's affordable I may have different reports to give.

If your 686+ has too much recoil for you with .38 special loads, I'm gonna be the guy to advocate for a .22 revolver, specifically a model 43c from smith as it has an 8 round capacity and .22 is a whole awful lot better than nothing. You won't want to shoot when it matters if the gun you're carrying is unpleasant for you
I am going to consider the 43c.

How much of a difference will the .22 mag make in the 351c?

It's a minimal gain in such a short barrel.
Cool gun , lots of people want, including me. But not a good carry choice as your primary.
A .22 on your hip beats a .357 in your safe. I agree it's not ideal, however, a shot right in the face with several .22s will get the point across nicely I think

A .22 on your hip beats a .357 in your safe. I agree it's not ideal, however, a shot right in the face with several .22s will get the point across nicely I think
Totally agree, but seeking out and buying a rather niche little gun isn't a good plan.
The double action pull on a brand new, double action rimfire is almost guaranteed to be stiff as coed summer camp morning wood.

.38 specials out of the 686+ are pussycats, unless your running +P's. If that recoil is on the edge of uncomfortable, it'll just be magnified in the 442, considering it weights a paltry 14 oz.

As @Certaindeaf said, 148 gr wadcutters are going to be softer recoiling, and could be pressed into service for self defense. Standard 130 fmj in .38 special are not awfully punishing either. When you get into the 158 gr range, now you'll start feeling recoil.

I practice with the full range of options through my 642 and carry Gold Dot 125 gr +P jhp's and find them quite manageable. But everyone has different sensitivity to recoil.

If you've not shot much handguns, I'd recommend shooting more, try lots of different handguns, different calibers and see what consistently works best for you.

If you are going to try out a few different guns, may I recommend shooting the Browning 1911-380. I've got one and everybody that shoots it from a teen aged girl to full grown men and women really like it.

It's a minimal gain in such a short barrel.
Cool gun , lots of people want, including me. But not a good carry choice as your primary.
I think I get what you're saying, but niche or not there are 8 rounds to work with.

There had been a post in a similar thread about accuracy per shot, when using a smaller caliber snub that I have taken to heart. I am inclined to work on that. Could get bored shooting .22s, though. I'm sure I'll be posting about that once I figure it out.

Appreciate the input from all, above. I will stick with the revolver and try calibers out.

If you are going to try out a few different guns, may I recommend shooting the Browning 1911-380. I've got one and everybody that shoots it from a teen aged girl to full grown men and women really like it.
Like most, I do love the looks of the 1911, but two factors are a problem: I am loathe to trust the complexity of a semi auto, and also the concealability of it could be a problem. I live in Portland. They notice something like that and they're likely to freak out.

4590b05d33284fa2225db5c5311ff42e_4.jpg

Side quest for extra points.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews