Ported vs Non Ported for Carry ?

Discussion in 'Defensive Carry & Self Defense' started by DuneHopper, Apr 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson
    Everson, Wa.
    Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

As pointed out above and shown to great effect in the picture of post #59...ports tend to get "flashy"...which can turn you into a bullet magnet...as well as making it hard for you to see at night or in low light....

Also speaking for myself , from my experience , and in Captain O's defense...having been in combat a few times...you can have "tunnel vision" , as in seeing only what's in front of you...and at times "see" only what the mind thinks it "sees"...not what is really there...just something to keep in mind....
    Andy

2. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Mmm, pizza, CHOMP!
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Not to mention the supercharge of adrenaline-dump...

AndyinEverson and Kruejl like this.
  3. Kruejl

Kruejl
    Hillsboro
    Moderator of the Coriolis effect Staff Member Lifetime Supporter Gold Supporter Silver Supporter

When we practice silhouette drills and such, we train to NOT have tunnel vision because yes, it's a real thing. And it's hard to train yourself to be aware of your surroundings and not just the target in front of you. I too have held someone at gunpoint. Hammer back, trigger staged. Yeah, lots of things going on and yep, tunnel vision.

AndyinEverson likes this.
  4. Captain O

Captain O
    St. Helens, OR
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I'll confess I was "scared to death" and adrenaline dump had me shaking like a dog eliminating razor blades. I wasn't having a good time and the uniformed police officers that were my "backup" were helping me clear the Sunshine Dairy in Portland when the local "Animal Rights" idiots were vandalizing the place. I was an Armed Security Officer and it resulted in a ream of paperwork and a fool that barely missed being shot by yours truly.

Yep, I was nervous as hell.

5. Tangent123123

Tangent123123
    Battle Ground
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

I have the M&P Performance Center with the ports and to be 100% honest, I don't find much of a difference between mine and the standard shield. Maybe I'm not a skilled enough shooter, but I don't notice much of a decrease in muzzle rise nor do I notice a ton of extra flash. But I don't go shooting in the dead of night or rolling around in the sand with it either.

The main reason I purchased the Performance Center is that's it came with a nice trigger and the better sights straight out of the box. The porting also looks really nice.

Here is a side by side. You can see the difference in slow motion:

6. jlhopwo

jlhopwo
    Portland, OR

Prosecutor: “So Joe-Bob, please tell the jury where you bought this specialized assassination weapon.”

EPS, DuneHopper, mkwerx and 1 other person like this.
  7. Decoy

Decoy
    Gorge

Ok I will give my two cents worth.

First of all compensation gained from popper holes is fractional where a compensator with side walls will reduce recoil. Based on the speed and pressure of the gas unless the holes have a hybrid design (10 degree angle on the hole) the gases can not escape fast enough to relieve the pressure, like pushing turds in a tunnel. When you blow up a ballon the air expands out, not straight.

Compensators have walled areas that the gas hits and thereby drives the gun forward and the gas then is directed up,which helps keep the muzzle down. The larger walled area the greater the compensation, the only flat area in the holes are the tangent of the hole which is a small area. The flat areas in effect attempts to netrualize the recoil so you turn you enemy gas into a helper gas.

Magnaporting on the revolvers is more effective than a straight hole since they are a elongated hole with more area.

Compensated barrels like the Schuemann HYComp have two compensators machined internal to the barrel and do significantly reduce recoil. They add flash but I train at night with it and do not notice it. They are louder but a little ringing in the ears is a easy trade for the increased split times I see with this setup which could give me the time needed to walk away in one piece. They also have a ribbed barrel that your front site mounts on which reduces muzzle flip (weight on the barrel not the slide) and since the sight rises like a revolver it doesn't leave your focus plane.

As far as I am concerned the popple holes are only good for making your gun dirty Some people believe in them so if you are in that category then go for it, it can't hurt and do what makes you feel comfortable by all means. They do reduce the gas leaving the muzzle which does help, hot gas hitting cold air. Every action has a equal and opposite reaction.

Do you need compensation?

Well that depends on your shooting ability, have you shot enough that it will make a difference? Being a competitive shooter I put a timer on my my splits and determined for me if it makes sense.

You do need a high enough power factor on your loads to drive a comp. When I shoot 3 gun with my comp gun the required power factor for 9mm is 125 but in order to drive my comp I load it at a 148 power factor and it shoots flatter than the minor loads.

Used to shoot completions at night when I lived in Florida and never noticed the flash unless it was from someone else's gun. I think it is a advantage in a self defense situation. Kinda like a flash bang if you aren't expecting it, pretty sure it will freeze most thugs in their tracks.

When I am doing training classes I always ask "What's the best gun for self defense?" I have gotten a truck load of answers based on opinion. One old lady got it right, she said her 8" 44 mag. I asked her why and she said because she learned on that gun and it's what she shoots best! Putting rounds on the target is your first priority, how accurate, how fast, how big of holes, how scary or impressive the gun looks are all secondary.

Sights are not as important in most defensive shoots as your trigger control and trigger break is. If you don't practice, it doesn't matter where your sights started at, if you don't control the trigger they will move. Practice your draw and mechanics and you can shoot 18 x 24 plates without using your sights from 8 to 25 yards.

So to sum it up, I tell folks to spend money on ammo, practice and instruction and use what you are most comfortable with. Once you are smoking the hole look to improve your equipment when it makes sense.

Not in any means trying to offend anyone but these are the facts as I know them. Like I said, my two well maybe 30 cents worth

edzz likes this.