JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think he said a full-size .22 semiauto pistol hurts his hand.
Right. Hard to imagine that being anything except improper grip.

@duldej -- Assuming you are right-handed, your right hand is wrapped on the grip. A full size .22 semiautomatic is designed so that the slide is not going to impact your right hand. The problem is misplacement of left hand. It should not be wrapped around your right wrist. Likewise it should not be placed so that left thumb is wrapped around right wrist. Either of these positions can lead to your left hand or thumb getting bit by slide. Left thumb should be on left side of gun. Some .22 target pistols even have a shelf on the left side of gun grip for left thumb to rest.

An advantage of semi auto is some of the recoil energy that would otherwise go into moving the gun instead goes into cycling the slide. This especially matters with shotguns, where many who prefer semi autos do so because they have much softer recoil than shotguns with other action types.

I'm throwing 1 more guess in here. The indoor range itself may have something to do with perceived recoil aversion.
Hear me out. The blast is way more noticeable inside than outside, especially if the range has any or all of these: low ceiling, heavy partition walls, lots of exposed steel and concrete.

Have you done much shooting with handguns outside?
Yes, indeed, the .38 shooting was in an indoor range. Done psyched myself out.

Shot the .22 outdoors at Folsom in Sacramento. Was too boring to continue. But the outdoor setting couldn't be beat.

Yes, indeed, the .38 shooting was in an indoor range. Done psyched myself out.

Shot the .22 outdoors at Folsom in Sacramento. Was too boring to continue. But the outdoor setting couldn't be beat.
Shoot the 22lr at steel at 30+ yards, that will change your mind.

An advantage of semi auto is some of the recoil energy that would otherwise go into moving the gun instead goes into cycling the slide. This especially matters with shotguns, where many who prefer semi autos do so because they have much softer recoil than shotguns with other action types.
I figure I am lo-fi in that regard. Like to see the bullets in the cylinder when needed & absent when not.

Can flip it back open to check if I forget.

With semi autos too much goes on behind the scenes for my comfort level. Slides dispensing casings, rechambering a round, being again ready to shoot. A spring pushing up all subsequent rounds. I don't trust all of that. Maybe at some point, I will.

Plus in terms of aesthetics. I marvel at the 686, its being so good at what it does, no frills. Like a quality car vs. those disposable offerings on the road these days. Pride of ownership should factor into both cars & guns.

I mainly just tolerate the looks of semi autos. They don't put much into their presentation these days. The manufacturers must think that as long as they've got the latest technology in their gun, and if they test with good specs, they're golden. Less recoil, in this sense, being just another technological advance.

So perhaps like you, I'm going to stay the course & put up with my punishment until I get good at it. Getting a better stance & grip will surely help. The inspiration is there though.

Fair enough! But this part

You might already know this but that flipping the revolver open and then snapping your wrist to flip it closed is a terrible thing to do and can bend the crane (that's the arm at the front of the cylinder that the attaches the cylinder to the pistol) and can even bounce rounds out of the cylinder enough to prevent it from closing

If .38 special is too much recoil I would recommend a .32acp. Most folks have a thought that it is underpowered. It might be for every situation, but it packs more of a wallop than a .22 with much more consistent ignition and minimal recoil. It also has been used extensively in Europe for police and military sidearms.

It is a caliber that does not take long to adjust to. Side note, if you ever want a suppressor, .32acp suppresses very well as it is naturally subsonic. You will really only find it in semi autos in a practical sense. (There are some .32acp revolver conversions, and a very few revolvers in .32acp that exist but they are the exceptions)

Beretta has made numerous good options over the years as has Mauser (the 1914 is a supremely fun little gun to shoot) FN and Colt, among others. 7.65 is how some European autos are marked. Same caliber.

I figure I am lo-fi in that regard. Like to see the bullets in the cylinder when needed & absent when not.

With semi autos too much goes on behind the scenes for my comfort level. Slides dispensing casings, rechambering a round, being again ready to shoot. A spring pushing up all subsequent rounds. I don't trust all of that. Maybe at some point, I will.

Plus in terms of aesthetics. I marvel at the 686, its being so good at what it does, no frills. Like a quality car vs. those disposable offerings on the road these days. Pride of ownership should factor into both cars & guns.

I mainly just tolerate the looks of semi autos. They don't put much into their presentation these days. The manufacturers must think that as long as they've got the latest technology in their gun, and if they test with good specs, they're golden. Less recoil, in this sense, being just another technological advance.

So perhaps like you, I'm going to stay the course & put up with my punishment until I get good at it. Getting a better stance & grip will surely help. The inspiration is there though.
While not as visible, Most semi autos are far simpler than a revolver. BTW, most of the semis I collect range from 70 to 115 years old. Over a century of reliability on some of those guns. A couple fought in the great war and WWII. I like to carry a bit of history with me. And yes, I unrepentantly carry 100+ year old sidearms routinely.

Fair enough! But this part

You might already know this but that flipping the revolver open and then snapping your wrist to flip it closed is a terrible thing to do and can bend the crane (that's the arm at the front of the cylinder that the attaches the cylinder to the pistol) and can even bounce rounds out of the cylinder enough to prevent it from closing
Right. And flipping the revolver cylinder closed can also damage the cylinder stop or the notches on the outside of the cylinder that interface with the cylinder stop. Close a revolver cylinder by grasping it with fingers and gently closing cylinder and turning it to correct position.

Kind of a unusual situation, if I understand if correctly. A S&W 686 with 38spl loads is too much recoil, a 22 is not acceptable and semi auto are not open to consideration but light weight seems attractive, even though never shot these firearms. heavier firearms reduce felt recoil-THAT IS A FACT! Possibly a S&W model 48 in 22 magnum might be a consideration.

Kind of a unusual situation, if I understand if correctly. A S&W 686 with 38spl loads is too much recoil, a 22 is not acceptable and semi auto are not open to consideration but light weight seems attractive, even though never shot these firearms. heavier firearms reduce felt recoil-THAT IS A FACT! Possibly a S&W model 48 in 22 magnum might be a consideration.
The 686 is an L frame, they have a slightly higher bore axis than the 66 or Ruger "Six" series and the higher bore can translate to more twist and perceived recoil. For me I find that small difference unpleasant. Not a lightweight by any stretch, a 3" Ruger SP101 would be a good choice. The weight and low bore axis translates to one of the softest shooting small revolvers out there

For those that don't know, the bore axis is the relationship between a line running through the pistols bore and (roughley) the top of your wrist as you are holding the gun. Pretend you are holding a pistol and rock your hand upward like you had just fired a shot, see that point where your wrist bends at your forearm? That's pretty much the point we are talking about. The higher the bore axis the more leverage the pistol will have to twist in your hand up under recoil. All else being equal there is just as much recoil between two pistols with different bore axis, but the one with the lower one might feel like it has less recoil because it twists up less in your hand

BoreAxis.jpg

Lots of helpful posts later, it occurred to me that it was probably both the weight of the 686, my poor stance & grip (one handed), plus the acoustics in the indoor range that were more at issue than the actual recoil.

Like I said a few posts back, I psyched myself out, and figured, at the time (~8 yrs ago) that was due to the recoil. In retrospect, I blame my unpleasant experience on the above factors, which is still on me, but probably not due to sheer recoil.

Economically debating today whether to trade the 686 for the 442 or buy the 442 outright.

The 442 remains a popular handgun after 70+ yrs and if @OldBroad44 can shoot it, others, I am willing to learn it.

As indicated, I signed up for 1 of several lessons in the next few weeks so as to learn stance & grip.

The instructor will not steer me wrong.

Lots of helpful posts later, it occurred to me that it was probably both the weight of the 686, my poor stance & grip (one handed), plus the acoustics in the indoor range that were more at issue than the actual recoil.

Like I said a few posts back, I psyched myself out, and figured, at the time (~8 yrs ago) that was due to the recoil. In retrospect, I blame my unpleasant experience on the above factors, which is still on me, but probably not due to sheer recoil.

Economically debating today whether to trade the 686 for the 442 or buy the 442 outright.

The 442 remains a popular handgun after 70+ yrs and if @OldBroad44 can shoot it, others, I am willing to learn it.

As indicated, I signed up for 1 of several lessons in the next few weeks so as to learn stance & grip.

Just buy the 442 outright, selling the 686 is something you'll regret down the road.

With all due respect....
Instructors have their likes , dislikes and to use a trendy term , bias....
They may or may not steer you wrong.

I would suggest that you keep the heavier 686... And learn to properly hold and shoot it.
Rather than buy a lighter and perhaps more perceived recoil feeling 442.

Ironically...the above shows my likes and bias...:D
Andy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews