JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What caliber is it? I've had porting on some of my larger caliber handguns. While not a huge difference, its helped. If it was a shield in 45, it might be a useful idea.

I found a gremlin sized lint ball in a chicks belly button once. My OCD made me grab it with tweezers. Smelled foul.
If it had teeth it was a teratoma.

th?id=OIP.n6zjK0PqcNcs3gRMZsaOigHaHO&w=164&h=160&c=7&o=5&dpr=1.5&pid=1.jpg

lol

And I thought Operation Fartjar was disgusting... (Seriously, guys, you had to be there to appreciate it.)

EDIT: Story over in Dark Humor. Dispose of food/drinks and make a head-call before reading; if you laugh so hard you shart yourself it's On You.

Last Edited:
Speaking for myself, I carried a Ported Revolver for many years and having to fire, at night, during yearly Qualifications I didn't find the extra flash to be significantly distracting. I did find the Recoil reduction to be a real advantage. Especially, for follow-up shots.

The only way you'll know is to try it.

The 'ported vs non ported' flash is, JMHO, pretty much a non issue. There will be flash, and it can either be in one big ball right in front of your front sight coming coming out of one hole, or mostly the same amount split between 3 holes. Ammo selection will have more of an effect on flash than porting. What may be an issue is if you need to fire from a defensive retention position and the ports are close enough to your body to cause issues with getting burned or throwing something into your eyes.

My wife carries a PC Shield 9mm that is ported. The recoil reduction is huge for her and she really shoots much better with it. The PC trigger is much better than stock so I'm sure that helps too. I have shot it at night and the muzzle "flash" is virtually non existent on the 9mm. I'd bet 99% of the guys crying gimmick have never shot one.

So Cabelas has a new M&P Shield that comes ported for slightly more $$.
So for carry what are the advantages or disadvantages ?

Thanks
The very slight reduction in muzzle flip is not worth the loss in velocity imo.
Think about the fact that in a gun fight the recoil and noise isn't an issue . For an everyday range gun the slight reduction might be welcome but in the moment it could be a 44mag and it's going to bbe the he last thing on the mind . On such a short barrel I think you need all the velocity you can get and the porting may help on range days . The extra money for porting on that particular handgun would be better spent on training ammo imo

Too much risk for me. Even my constantly holstered EDC pistols get all kinds of gunk in the barrel. Ports IMO would just exacerbate the issue.

Unless its a competition firearm or a ported revolver needed tame a ridiculous caliber caused muzzle rise, I dont see a point.

Id pass on it especially since its extra money. Thats another box or two of ammo, perhaps extra for a carry holster..etc.

The general concern about a ported gun for concealed carry is the possible greater muzzle flash that could disrupt your night vision. However, much can vary depending on the ammo used. It's possible that it may not be much greater than with a standard gun. But you would probably have to be willing to buy it and hope for the best as I doubt any of the ranges have one in their rental counter. Might be worth calling around to see.

Note that finding a holster for it might be challenging too.

Agreeing with those who voted against ported firearms for EDC. For me the open port seems an easy route for all sorts of unwanted debris to drift into the pistol unawares. If anyone has clean pockets good on ya. Some of us use pockets for alot of stuff and they get dirty and lint filled. I'm sure a ported pistol would work fine for EDC but I'm not going to take that chance. That's just me.

I've been carrying and shooting a ported 44 magnum for the better part of 20 years. The porting has never caused me any issues diring night fire exercises.
Curious as to how much louder it is than a non ported 44 mag. I have been considering one for carrying in the woods, but don't want to blow an ear drum should it be needed out there. I was helping a buddy track a wounded bear today through dense timber, with my .45 colt and the thought of having to fire that in that thick stuff without ear plugs was almost as frightening as the thought of getting mauled.

Curious as to how much louder it is than a non ported 44 mag. I have been considering one for carrying in the woods, but don't want to blow an ear drum should it be needed out there. I was helping a buddy track a wounded bear today through dense timber, with my .45 colt and the thought of having to fire that in that thick stuff without ear plugs was almost as frightening as the thought of getting mauled.

Well, it IS a 4" 44 magnum, so it's incredibly loud straight outta the gate. I've never fired it without hearing protection, but I don't really notice a difference between it and my non-ported 4" 44 magnum.

What you were looking at is the Shield Performance Center. Besides a ported barrel it has fiber optic sights, a better trigger and is 2 ounces lighter than the standard model.

If you ask six people, all six will give you a different opinion on the ported barrel. Some people notice the diffrence, some don't. Some think it is just a gimick to collect dust, others have never had the issue. If you google a few reviews, the general opinion seems to be that it helps with the follow-up shot. Personally, my big meathooks don't notice that much of a difference. The main reason I picked one up is that I didn't have to swap out the trigger or the sights right out of the box and I liked the look of it, aesthetics are important. :cool:

So the question comes up why would S&W build a carry pistol that has obvious side effects to its use?
The Shield is fine left alone so why add these if they don't improve anymore then they hurt.
Why? Shooters pay for ports. Like rails. In the daytime, flash is not a problem, even though the slightly reduced muzzle rise is more marketing than meaningful. But hey, if Doug Koenig uses ports...

The 'ported vs non ported' flash is, JMHO, pretty much a non issue. There will be flash, and it can either be in one big ball right in front of your front sight coming coming out of one hole, or mostly the same amount split between 3 holes. Ammo selection will have more of an effect on flash than porting. What may be an issue is if you need to fire from a defensive retention position and the ports are close enough to your body to cause issues with getting burned or throwing something into your eyes.

Thank you, saved me a lot of typing. This is why ports are lame on a CCW piece.

So the question comes up why would S&W build a carry pistol that has obvious side effects to its use?
The Shield is fine left alone so why add these if they don't improve anymore then they hurt.

Some people are more likely to be day time activity people and usually in bed by 9pm for that job at 8am.

Ported wouldn't much affect this type of carry person. The shields barely have much a kick or bark to them, especially if leaning towards a 9mm. Not to mention you'll have to practice around high pressure gasses escaping from your front end so this changes up a little in the self D game.

Non ported would be beneficial to the night time owls for obvious reasons.

Is it a 2.0?

Why? Shooters pay for ports. Like rails. In the daytime, flash is not a problem, even though the slightly reduced muzzle rise is more marketing than meaningful. But hey, if Doug Koenig uses ports...
But Doug Koenig is *paid* by the fraction of a second and the fraction of an inch, and never shoots a nighttime match... if it don't work for you groggy, half asleep and with the usual wake-up-time crud in your eyes when the 2am kick-in-the-door comes, it don't count, simple as that.

Sorta like how putting two rounds into one hole is a neat trick on the range though admittedly one that takes tremendous skill, but it don't work so well when you need to make more than one hole in a target to induce bleed-out.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top