JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Good news: helps tame muzzle rise for short barrels and/or hot loads.
Bad news: much worse blast and flash; if used at night forget about seeing anything for a few minutes.

Bear in mind I have really light-sensitive eyes, but I personally would not want a comped sidearm if there's ANY chance I might be out with it at night. When I was spec'ing out a Longslide build in college and considering a comp, the last option to be dismissed was a King's bushing-comp, and it only stayed in the running because it could be quickly and easily swapped for a regular bushing as sunset drew near with just a quick trip to the john.

Sweet vents yo!
tvrsagaris-ubg.jpg

On a serious note, I've shot small guns with ports, I could not feel much of a difference. Much of the recoil isn't from the round leaving the barrel, it is from the weight of the slide going full battery rearward on a light little gun. They also add flash to the line of sight.

Comps, ports, and vents are great, but I think they are more suited for competition use then concealed carry.

So Cabelas has a new M&P Shield that comes ported for slightly more $$.
So for carry what are the advantages or disadvantages ?

Thanks
I don't know why you would want to monkey with it for a carry piece.
A range toy or a competition piece, that's different.
And keep in mind that your carry piece could end up in an evidence locker for a long time.
Don't carry anything that you can't part with.

Diamondback and others have made the number one point on ports, on a CC weapon, those ports are going to flash and blind you when you most need to see, not good! I say skip the ports and run a standard set up and find a good couple of low flash loads speciffically for a short barrel and your good to go! If it dosnt allready have nite sights, spend the difference and add them! :D

So the question comes up why would S&W build a carry pistol that has obvious side effects to its use?
The Shield is fine left alone so why add these if they don't improve anymore then they hurt.

So the question comes up why would S&W build a carry pistol that has obvious side effects to its use?
The Shield is fine left alone so why add these if they don't improve anymore then they hurt.

Mark them up and sell them as "special".

Back in the Sand Box, we shoved a soft ear plug in the muzzle of our pistols to keep the Sand and Moon Dust out of our barrels, worked a charm, just shoot and it comes right out with no issues and dosnt change POI! Alternately, a piece of electricians tape worked well too!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top