JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm just curious because I would have opted to put a VFG on my rifle but after seeing this I went with a handstop just for legality purposes.
If its an actual rifle its fine. Only an issue on pistols.

Fun fact, ATF said it has to be a 90 degree angle to be a vertical foregrip, but there are VFGs that aren't a 90 degree angle. But ATF would say no. The famous government consistency, right?

View attachment 804176
Pistols. Not rifles.
The debate was based on length of pistols over 26"

PCC
  • Pistol
  • Caliber
  • Carbine

Does not specify length
A PPC is a pistol caliber RIFLE, though most will equate a PCC to any pistol caliber platform not looking like a traditional pistol.
A Carbine by definition is a 16" barrel ~ish. 16" barrel puts it at a rifle.
Now I'm curious to see what a pistol over 26" looks like! Lol

Seems silly to have a vertical foregrip on a pistol in the first place lol

Stand by.......

Z43-P Pistol.jpg

I have one of these. Z43-P which is a licensed copy of the HK 33K They were imported as a pistol to get around the GHWB 1989 import ban on "non-sporting rifles". End users submit a Form 1 and add the shoulder stocks after approval.

-E-

Edit...I was just reminded by a friend that I'm "a little short" of 26". 23.3" to be exact.

Last Edited:
Plenty of braced ARs that fit that definition :rolleyes:

The 26" OAL "rule" is only in the case of what the ATF defines as "concealable" for AOWs and by association, pistols/handguns :rolleyes:

Understand however.. its measured with the brace removed or fully collapsed in the case of the buffer tubes.

Edit. What the ATF has ruled and consistently so.. is that if a "pistol" is over 26" overall length, it is not an AOW, and is not considered a "rifle" if the braced firearm is not designed to be fired from the shoulder

However, in one of the definitions, it can defined as a "Firearm" under the NFA.. if the ATF and House/Senate decrees that all AR receivers are "rifle receivers", with retroactive/no-grandfathering clause :confused:

Stand by.......

View attachment 804182

I have one of these. Z43-P which is a licensed copy of the HK 33K They were imported as a pistol to get around the GHWB 1989 import ban on "non-sporting rifles". End users submit a Form 1 and add the shoulder stocks after approval.

-E-

Edit...I was just reminded by a friend that I'm "a little short" of 26". 23.3" to be exact.
Interesting! At first glance you wouldn't put this into the pistol category! That's a good looking piece for sure!

Supposedly any firearm under 26" which most PCC's are
I'm not sure that's correct. For the federal rule, last I checked, an SBR is a rifle with a barrel shorter than 16" and/or an overall length of less than 26" with the stock fully extended. My Tavor x95 needed a few odd mods before it could be imported as a carbine, including a spacer in the buttstock to get the OAL up. Why they didn't just make a 17" barrel when they already had to make a longer barrel to replace the 13 with has always been a mystery to me.

The CA rule (again, AFAIK) is 30" and the shortest fireable configuration. I'm not in CA.

If your carbine is legal, AFAIK it's perfectly OK to put a VFG on it, and if it's a legal SBR, it's still legal to put a VFG on it. Pistols cannot have a VFG, AFAIK.

Perhaps I'm too much of a WWII fanboy but modern pistol caliber carbines look terrible. Beyond the classic lever actions or WWII firearms the choices available are something out of a 1950s Sci-Fi movie or a boring copy of an AR type platform.

Examples:
Beretta CX4-Storm
Hi-Point Carbine
CMMG Resolute
Just Right Carbine
Vector Gen II
IVI Tavor
Ruger PC Carbine

I've fired a few of these and they are actually pretty fun. But aesthetically, I think they look like ridiculous Sci-Fi guns.

Maybe I should start a company that makes M3 Grease gun repos to compete with these carbines.

What are your thoughts?
Not a grease gun.:(
How about something comfortable to shoot that is accurate past spitting distance.:s0092:

So...What's wrong with bringing back the original M1 Carbine ?:s0092:

Other than it is illegal to hunt anything other than varmints with it in most states. 16 gr. of 2400 and a Speer Half jacket did everything I asked of it.:s0023:

I like the old school PPC look and the new space gun look. Probably my all-time favorite is the MP5. Big fan of the Scorpion and the MPX and a lot of similar guns. But what I'd really like to see is an affordable remake of the the PPSH-41 in 9mm. It's pretty and homely all at once. Like me. :D

Plenty of braced ARs that fit that definition :rolleyes:

The 26" OAL "rule" is only in the case of what the ATF defines as "concealable" for AOWs and by association, pistols/handguns :rolleyes:

Understand however.. its measured with the brace removed or fully collapsed in the case of the buffer tubes.

Edit. What the ATF has ruled and consistently so.. is that if a "pistol" is over 26" overall length, it is not an AOW, and is not considered a "rifle" if the braced firearm is not designed to be fired from the shoulder

However, in one of the definitions, it can defined as a "Firearm" under the NFA.. if the ATF and House/Senate decrees that all AR receivers are "rifle receivers", with retroactive/no-grandfathering clause :confused:
This is my understanding from way back. If your pistol is over 26" in length, fully extended or unfolded, it is a Firearm, and therefor can have a VFG. But don't take my word for it.

My 2 current favorite PCCs I own are my PPSh in the one true 7.62x25 and my DI AR in 7.62x25. The AR is close to getting a SBR stamp and being chopped to about 8".

Hopefully I'll start my Suomi M31 build and have that as a PCC soon.

In the end, I have yet to have anyone not enjoy trigger time behind one of my PCC's, especially when suppressed. Almost all hand the PCC back with a big ear to ear grin on their face.

Looked at them, shot them, still don't want one. And no, a suppressor will not change my mind, I find them to be a waste of money.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads