JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Since washington passed the ban on high capacity mag, which does not go into effect till july 1st, will you still be allowed to shoot there after the ban is in effect? the bill only regulates the sell, manufacture, and distribution of high capacity mag.

Good question. I've been asking the same. I carry a G45 with a 21 round mag. How does that work when I cross state lines?

There was a shiit-ton of chatter on this matter when the mag ban bill was signed 3 months ago.
Suggest a search in the Firearms Legislation and Activism forum, looking for the "Washington" flag.
You're looking for anything that says "mag ban" or "ESSB 5078" in the thread title.

Here's a slew of them:

Alternatively, search William Kirk's website (Washington Gun Law), which is full of YouTubes for gun owners in Washington.
He did several videos on ESSB 5078, and covered multiple scenarios, one of which must surely be yours.
I just don't have the time to go look it up, so you can.

the bill (law) only regulates the sell, manufacture, and distribution of high capacity mag.
Point of order: It's actually a law now, and no longer a bill.

You are not entirely correct in your assessment of what is covered under this new BS law. You left out the single most important facet of it as it regards your particular situation, that is, "importation". I suggest you focus your efforts of that aspect of the law, since that is what you will be doing...

Enjoi...

Last Edited:
With the typical disclaimer "I am not a lawyer" ect. My understanding is;
A person who lives outside the state of Washington will not be able to legally cross the state line with a magazine that holds more than 10 rounds. The higher capacity magazine must be inside of the state prior to the deadline...
It would be interesting to hear comments from individuals in Washington who provide firearm training courses or own gun ranges near the borders with Oregon or Idaho. Obviously, this may affect their situation. I have seen nothing that leads me to think people from out of state can legally bring those magazines to a shooting event, hunting, ect. But that's just my reading and understanding.

With the typical disclaimer "I am not a lawyer" ect. My understanding is;
A person who lives outside the state of Washington will not be able to legally cross the state line with a magazine that holds more than 10 rounds. The higher capacity magazine must be inside of the state prior to the deadline...
It would be interesting to hear comments from individuals in Washington who provide firearm training courses or own gun ranges near the borders with Oregon or Idaho. Obviously, this may affect their situation. I have seen nothing that leads me to think people from out of state can legally bring those magazines to a shooting event, hunting, ect. But that's just my reading and understanding.
You're pretty much spot on. It was mentioned by William Kirk of the Washington Gun Law website that competition events will not be excluded from the mag ban. When an out-of-state competitor considers this limitation, many USPSA/IDPA shooters will likely not compete in WA matches anymore. Reason being is they will be restricted to 10-rd mags while the in-state (WA) competitors would wield a significant advantage over the out-of-state competitors in regards to mag capacity, which goes directly to how many tactical reloads an out-of-state shooter would be forced to make in comparison to an in-state shooter.

Last Edited:
You're pretty much spot on. It was mentioned by William Kirk of the Washington Gun Law website that competition events will not be excluded from the mag ban. When an out-of-state competitor considers about this limitation, many USPSA/IDPA shooters will likely not compete in WA matches anymore. Reason being is they will be restricted to 10-rd mags while the in-state (WA) competitors would wield a significant advantage over the out-of-state competitors in regards to mag capacity and how many tactical reloads one would be forced to make in comparison to an in-state resident shooter.
That is my understanding also and it may affect gun ranges, firearm training courses, some hunting guides, in the state of Washington who cater to clients from out of state.

That is my understanding also and it may affect gun ranges, firearm training courses, some hunting guides, in the state of Washington who cater to clients from out of state.
Regarding the emphasized part above, a few firearms training outfits who are members here have already stated they will proceed with business as usual after July 1. I applaud them for their civil disobedience and resistance to this BS POS legislation.

Regarding the emphasized part above, a few firearms training outfits who are members here have already stated they will proceed with business as usual after July 1. I applaud them for their civil disobedience and resistance to this BS POS legislation.
Kinda like all of us Oregonians who have a Washington CHL and will continue on as normal in regards to mag capacity.

I certainly am not suggesting what any person or business should or shouldn't do. Simply trying to help explain what the new law states for those persons that inquired.

What if you're just passin' through, say traveling from Post falls, ID to Umatilla, OR? Would one still be guilty of importation if the gun is unloaded, cased, and not readily accessible? What if the magazine has previously traveled through Washington? It was technically there before the 'ban', left, then came back. Still no bueno?

What if you're just passin' through, say traveling from Post falls, ID to Umatilla, OR? Would one still be guilty of importation if the gun is unloaded, cased, and not readily accessible? What if the magazine has previously traveled through Washington? It was technically there before the 'ban', left, then came back. Still no bueno?
I believe it's still illegal. But how will they know?

What if you're just passin' through, say traveling from Post falls, ID to Umatilla, OR? Would one still be guilty of importation if the gun is unloaded, cased, and not readily accessible?
Yes. The mag(s) would be considered imported in that scenario, regardless of the location/status of the firearm.

EDIT:
In that instance, you would not be guilty of importation, as you would be protected under FOPA, as @Yarome has schooled me on. Please see this post.

What if the magazine has previously traveled through Washington? It was technically there before the 'ban', left, then came back. Still no bueno?
Then no. The mag/mags was/were grandfathered by virtue of it/them having been in WA prior to the effective date of the ban. So, bueno...

Last Edited:
Yes. The mag(s) would be considered imported in that scenario, regardless of the location/status of the firearm.

Then no. The mag/mags was/were grandfathered by virtue of it/them having been in WA prior to the effective date of the ban. So, bueno...
Even if the magazine never lived in Washington, just passed through?

I certainly am not suggesting what any person or business should or shouldn't do. Simply trying to help explain what the new law states for those persons that inquired.
I do not understand how you construed what I said to be any sort of a suggestion to anyone.
I stated facts regarding what some outfits have said they will do, and I stated my position on that matter.
All facts. No suggestions.

Even if the magazine never lived in Washington, just passed through?
Correct. The magazine(s) will have had to have lived in WA, even if for only a few hours.
If it is only passing through from out-of-state, never having lived in WA state, then that would be considered importation under the BS law.

EDIT:
See corrected posts here and here.

Last Edited:
Correct. The magazine(s) will have had to have lived in WA, even if for only a few hours.
If it is only passing through from out-of-state, never having lived in WA state, then that would be considered importation under the BS law.
Thank you, Mr. Sobo. I appreciate you taking the time to clarify those points. I pass through there pretty frequently and so will start carrying SP101 rather than the G23. Damn it....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top