JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I live in Oregon. I have a pistol listed for sale. I have been contacted by a Washington resident who is interested. I know I cannot sell the pistol with hi cap mags. But Can I deliver it to him via a Washington FFL?

I live in Oregon. I have a pistol listed for sale. I have been contacted by a Washington resident who is interested. I know I cannot sell the pistol with hi cap mags. But Can I deliver it to him via a Washington FFL?
Assuming you follow all Washington laws, the only way to sell it to him is via a Washington FFL.

Assuming you follow all Washington laws, the only way to sell it to him is via a Washington FFL.
I also own property near Tacoma, near the prospective buyer. If I met him up in Washington at a Washington FFL, will the transfer process be similar to selling to an Oregon resident?

I also own property near Tacoma, near the prospective buyer. If I met him up in Washington at a Washington FFL, will the transfer process be similar to selling to an Oregon resident?
I believe Washington has some gun restrictions, I know they have magazine restrictions, and I'm 99% sure that they can't walk away with it on the same day.

It should be similar, unless there are different laws per COUNTY in WA.

I've sold many pistols to WA residents in Southern WA. I just meet them at a WA FFL, the buyer does the 4473 and pays the fees and pays me. The FFL takes the weapon and holds it for the requisite number of days (as per WA law) until it can be released to the buyer.

So, for all intents and purposes for me as the seller, it works just as if I was selling to an Oregon resident and doing the transfer at an OR FLL.

I believe Washington has some gun restrictions, I know they have magazine restrictions, and I'm 99% sure that they can't walk away with it on the same day.
Yea. I think a mandatory 10 day wait went into effect Jan 1st. And I know for sure the mags cannot hold more than 10 rounds.

Cavate:

Whatever you're selling must be legal for that WA resident to purchase. For example, you can't include mags of over 10 rounds as part of the transaction.

Cavate:

Whatever you're selling must be legal for that WA resident to purchase. For example, you can't include mags of over 10 rounds as part of the transaction.
Well, sure you can. Nothing prevents WA residents from legally owning standard capacity magazines. The hitch is, current law prohibits sellers (or buyers) from "importing" those standard capacity magazines into the state of Washington. So don't do that. At the same time, don't let that law stand in the way of an otherwise legal transaction.

I live in Washington and, in spite of the WA mag ban, I have legally purchased a lot of standard capacity magazines as part of firearm transactions with out-of-state sellers. HOWEVER, none of those mags are - at present - within the state of Washington. No law was broken during the course of those transactions. The solution wasn't even complex.

With each such firearm purchase, I've simply provided my out-of-state seller with a prepaid USPS mailer to ship those evil magazines to my brother, who lives in a free state. Totally legal. Someday (near future, I hope) I can tell my brother it's legal for him to mail all those magazines to me. Sure, it might seem slightly awkward and contrived, but it allowed me and the out-of-state seller to say "F U Jay Inslee" while we completed our firearm transaction.

The thing to do BEFORE you try this is pick an FFL. Call them, tell them what you want to do and ask them how they will handle it. What so often happens is someone shows up at a shop after they were "told" how something works, to find out that is not how that dealer does it. The WA resident will have to wait at least 10 business days. So for you what you probably want is to see if you can find an FFL here who will be willing to let you get paid and hold the gun for the buyer. That way you don't have to make multiple trips. Now some shops may be willing to do this, some will not. So find out first before making the drive based on what someone tells you will happen.

Well, sure you can. Nothing prevents WA residents from legally owning standard capacity magazines. The hitch is, current law prohibits sellers (or buyers) from "importing" those standard capacity magazines into the state of Washington. So don't do that. At the same time, don't let that law stand in the way of an otherwise legal transaction.

I live in Washington and, in spite of the WA mag ban, I have legally purchased a lot of standard capacity magazines as part of firearm transactions with out-of-state sellers. HOWEVER, none of those mags are - at present - within the state of Washington. No law was broken during the course of those transactions. The solution wasn't even complex.

With each such firearm purchase, I've simply provided my out-of-state seller with a prepaid USPS mailer to ship those evil magazines to my brother, who lives in a free state. Totally legal. Someday (near future, I hope) I can tell my brother it's legal for him to mail all those magazines to me. Sure, it might seem slightly awkward and contrived, but it allowed me and the out-of-state seller to say "F U Jay Inslee" while we completed our firearm transaction.
Don't lie gary, every one of those mags made it back to salmon creek with you already...
:s0114: ;) just kidding. That's a pretty good way to play it safe. Once an injunction hits (if ever) you'll get a nice care package from your brother!

The thing to do BEFORE you try this is pick an FFL. Call them, tell them what you want to do and ask them how they will handle it. What so often happens is someone shows up at a shop after they were "told" how something works, to find out that is not how that dealer does it. The WA resident will have to wait at least 10 business days. So for you what you probably want is to see if you can find an FFL here who will be willing to let you get paid and hold the gun for the buyer. That way you don't have to make multiple trips. Now some shops may be willing to do this, some will not. So find out first before making the drive based on what someone tells you will happen.
Every shop I've been to in SW WA all the way up to Centralia has held the gun for the wait. Most oregon shops were doing the same until as of late, quite a few of them have been making the seller take the handgun home if the buyer is not instant or if the queue is too high

Every shop I've been to in SW WA all the way up to Centralia has held the gun for the wait. Most oregon shops were doing the same until as of late, quite a few of them have been making the seller take the handgun home if the buyer is not instant or if the queue is too high
Again we are talking someone from OR wanting to drive up to WA to do the transfer. MANY will do something like this "assuming" they know how its going to work. Then of course when the FFL they choose will not they get screaming mad. :s0092:
So the "smart" thing to do for the OP is ask before making the drive to meet the buyer. Unless they enjoy the drive and don't mind making multiple trips back and forth with the gun of course. This is a lot like flying with a gun. MANY are told how it works, that its a snap because someone else did it and it was easy. It is supposed to be easy BUT, its not always. So I warn them show up with a large time cushion.

Again we are talking someone from OR wanting to drive up to WA to do the transfer. MANY will do something like this "assuming" they know how its going to work. Then of course when the FFL they choose will not they get screaming mad. :s0092:
So the "smart" thing to do for the OP is ask before making the drive to meet the buyer. Unless they enjoy the drive and don't mind making multiple trips back and forth with the gun of course. This is a lot like flying with a gun. MANY are told how it works, that its a snap because someone else did it and it was easy. It is supposed to be easy BUT, its not always. So I warn them show up with a large time cushion.
Yes I agree I was just saying how the shops in Oregon are doing. Every shop I've been to in washington even since 1639 has been holding the firearm for the buyer while they're waiting for approval or 10 day wait. I've done transfers all over this state and never had one tell me that the seller had to hold onto the item until buyer was approved. In Oregon however, a lot of ffls are doing so.

The other option for an Oregon resident is to ship it to the FFL in Washington. I've only sold one pistol to a Washington resident and I met him at an FFL in Vancouver for the sale/transfer.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top