JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This BS law should be contested shortly after implementation on FOPA grounds.
I guess any state is welcome to try and prosecute anyone for anything they want, but it would be pretty stupid and a waste of tax payer $'s since the precedent has already been established and, as it applies under FOPA, "firearm" has been further defined at the federal level. Silencers, too.;)

Last Edited:
I guess any state is welcome to try and prosecute anyone for anything they want, but it would be pretty stupid and a waste of tax payer $'s
Since when has wasting the taxpayer's money ever stopped a politician from doing same? 🤔

It's a stupid law that never should have been passed. I look forward to it being challenged and ultimately slapped down. The craven pols that voted for it should be permanently removed from office for violating their oath to the Constitution (although I'm not holding my breath on that one).

Since when has wasting the taxpayer's money ever stopped a politician from doing same? 🤔
Well.. there is "dumb" and then there is just plain crazy stupid. For all intents and purposed, WA state trying to prosecute someone passing through their state for an over 10rnd mag is no different than trying to prosecute them for the gun itself. They are one and the same, only the persons departure state laws apply... until they cross the border into their destination state... where that state will then have jurisdiction. FOPA no longer applies.

Sounds like it would be a good case to sue for malicious prosecution, though.đź‘Ť

I'm not worried about it.
I'm not worried about it, either. But I feel it's important to set the record straight on what the BS law says, and what it doesn't say, in posts on this website.
I also got mags long ago. They're gonna have a helluva time enforcing this crap I can tell ya that
So did I, and I agree.
My sis is a good lawyer and along with other lawyers including 2n ammendment lawyers I know say the same. But this importing thing they say has to do with intent on bringing mags into WA State to keep here. NOT just to use while hete from out if state then taking thier mags back home with them. And I don't think that will be hard to show in court. It also has to do with residency in this state. Laws passed on WA state residents. It's not a law passed to police other states on WA state bs policies like I've had lawyers tell me about this. Way too many people get way too worked uo over this chit living in fear.
I don't , and I never will. Ive been at this stuff wayyyy too many years not to know how to deal with situations that come up.
The BS law makes no distinction between residents and non-residents. This is where many people seem to get hung up, thinking that it doesn't apply to out-of-state people. It clearly defines "import" and that importation is illegal after July 1, and makes no provision to treat in-state or out-of-state individuals differently after that date. Ergo, the law will apply to everyone. But that will be challenged (or it sure as shiit should be) as soon as the law becomes effective.
I think it's all going to get overturned anyway the way things are going. In the meantime buy what mags you can and put 'em away.
Agree, and already did.
The main thing is guys we all have to stick together or get hung one at a time in the dark. Strength in numbers is where it's at. The government can't control its people without first disarming them, and that's nit gonna happen in God's country period. Wait and watch God deal with these politicians because its coming.
Agree.

I personally wouldn't be concerned about crossing the state line with a magazine, the odds are extremely small of there being an issue.
But I have read enough stories about someone crossing a border after legally buying pot or even alcohol, being targeted, stopped and cited by law enforcement in a jurisdiction where the product is not legal. It really depends on the attitude of law enforcement...
As were all aware, this varies widely.

I personally wouldn't be concerned about crossing the state line with a magazine, the odds are extremely small of there being an issue.
But I have read enough stories about someone crossing a border after legally buying pot or even alcohol, being targeted, stopped and cited by law enforcement in a jurisdiction where the product is not legal. It really depends on the attitude of law enforcement...
As were all aware, this varies widely.
When the CA "high-capacity" mag ban went into effect, multitudes of Californians were arrested for possessing banned mags. These Californians had gone across the border to Nevada to gun shows and bought large amounts of "freshly-banned" magazines. CA had officers cruising the parking lots at these shows looking for CA-tagged vehicles, and they had stationed officers at the state line. When those drivers came back into CA, the officers stationed at the border had been alerted to the various CA-licensed vehicles coming from the gun shows. Those people were stopped for any number or pretenses and their vehicles searched (don't even get me started about probable cause). Once their vehicles were searched and the contraband magazines located, off they went to jail and a court date.

Since washington passed the ban on high capacity mag, which does not go into effect till july 1st, will you still be allowed to shoot there after the ban is in effect? the bill only regulates the sell, manufacture, and distribution of high capacity mag.
...and importing.
I'm an Oregon resident and I regularly travel and shoot at a range in Wa. and after July 1st I wont be bringing any standard mags into the state anymore. This is just me but the 5 round difference is not as great as the low risk of needing +5 rounds plus the penalty of getting caught in a traffic stop.

...and importing.
I'm an Oregon resident and I regularly travel and shoot at a range in Wa. and after July 1st I wont be bringing any standard mags into the state anymore. This is just me but the 5 round difference is not as great as the low risk of needing +5 rounds plus the penalty of getting caught in a traffic stop.
As I pointed out to Glock45 early on in this thread, here:

You are not entirely correct in your assessment of what is covered under this new BS law. You left out the single most important facet of it as it regards your particular situation, that is, "importation". I suggest you focus your efforts of that aspect of the law, since that is what you will be doing...

Enjoi...

Since washington passed the ban on high capacity mag, which does not go into effect till july 1st, will you still be allowed to shoot there after the ban is in effect? the bill only regulates the sell, manufacture, and distribution of high capacity mag.
Only if said shooting occurs in an Autonomous Zone

though that only applies to trips that are specifically passing thru to other out of state destinations. So, going to a range in Wa. you cant take standard mags.
Correct (after July 1, 2022).

Does the FOPA law specify magazines or is it just the gun and ammo?
Mags, ammo, silencers, auto sears, slide accessories (ie., pistol carbine)., etc are inclusive as a "firearm".. which is the only language used in the actual federal law. Ammo is not specified nor are there any exceptions stated against "reasonable assumption" of what IS a "firearm".

The intent of the law has always been upheld.. to not infringe on lawfully owned "firearms" during interstate travel from one "legal" state to the "legal" destination.

At inception it actually used to get challenged quite often... say like in the RV community (many who "full time")... so these days it's pretty well established with precendents.

In reality though, it's very likely that those type laws are not actively enforced as a primary offense. Meaning... even if a LEO feels you are in violation it's more likely to receive a warning if that is the "only" violation. Application is more likely as a secondary or subsequent charge where a greater "primary" violation has occured.

I think Im gonna order a few more of those P80 mags but in 10rounders, still on sale ;). its always good to practice mag changes anyways....
I bought an additional dozen "high-capacity" mags for my competition gun, to go along with the dozen that I already had, so I have 24 standard-capacity mags for my SIG P320 now.

But I made the mistake of buying a half-dozen 10-rd mags for it very early on in the life of ESSB 5078 cuz I wasn't sure what the end result of the bill was gonna be and I wanted to avoid the panic buy. Turns out I shoulda just waited and bought 6 more standard-cap mags instead of the 10-rounders.
Oh, well, live and learn... :oops:

Last Edited:
I bought an additional dozen "high-capacity" mags for my competition gun, to go along with the dozen that I already had, so I have 24 standard-capacity mags for my SIG P320 now.

But I made the mistake of buying a half-dozen 10-rd mags for it very early on in the life of ESSB 50789 cuz I wasn't sure what the end result of the bill was gonna be and I wanted to avoid the panic buy. Turns out I shoulda just waited and bought 6 more standard-cap mags instead of the 10-rounders.
Oh, well. live and learn... :oops:
For the first time in my life I bought a standard mag for a future gun. Im pretty convinced Oregon is next in banning standard mags and know that the price of 10 rounders will go up after that. I remember when that happened in the 90s era AWB the price of all mags went up greatly including standard mags.

For the first time in my life I bought a standard mag for a future gun.
What are ya gonna get?
Im pretty convinced Oregon is next in banning standard mags and know that the price of 10 rounders will go up after that. I remember when that happened in the 90s era AWB the price of all mags went up greatly including standard mags.
Yup, WA and OR are always trying to out-CA each other. Whatever nonsense comes up out of CA seems to get magnified by either WA or OR.
And whichever states magnifies the nonsense first, then the other state tries to magnify it even more. Idiocy ensues...

But I made the mistake of buying a half-dozen 10-rd mags for it very early on in the life of ESSB 50789 cuz I wasn't sure what the end result of the bill was gonna be and I wanted to avoid the panic buy. Turns out I shoulda just waited and bought 6 more standard-cap mags instead of the 10-rounders.
Oh, well, live and learn... :oops:
You could perhaps sell the 10 rounders online to an individual who is searching for them from another state. I got a couple of 10 rounders included with a new CZ 75 I recently bought, the retailer had an excellent price on that version...
I purchased multiple 15 round mags and was going to sell the unused 10 round mags, but decided to keep them in case I visited California.

Thank you, Mr. Sobo. I appreciate you taking the time to clarify those points. I pass through there pretty frequently and so will start carrying SP101 rather than the G23. Damn it....
I have corrected a few posts in this thread, upon being further educated by @Yarome.

To summarize, if you're "just passing through", then FOPA protects you from this BS law, provided you follow the requirements for firearms(s) storage (which also includes mags and firearms accessories) in FOPA for such travel. Your trip must not terminate in WA, or your would indeed be importing newly-banned "high-capacity" magazines. But since you will be traveling from Post Falls to Umatilla, and not ending your trip in WA, then you would not be importing banned magazines. Go ahead and carry your G23, just secure it and its mags as listed in FOPA and you're in compliance (if that is important to you).

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads