JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The Constitution is not something that can be changed nor its rights limited by popular vote of the people. There is a process to amend it, and it is the only acceptable way to make changes to it. The process is difficult by design, in order to prevent mob rule.

And the present President has declared that he will only follow the rules and laws he agrees with and will circumvent those he doesn't like with proclimations. Sounds like a dictator to me!

So should we stock up on "assault rifles" or will it be a waste of our money? How would a retroactive gun ban work in this country? Would it work?
How many rifles,(assault style), do you need. I have enough, and even some extra. To each his own. Not that I'm saying that's wrong. Ammo. will again be the real expense in shooting. I'm stocking up on ammo because it will NEVER ever get cheaper. I don't think they will come for my AKs in my life time. They will just drive up the price of high cap. mags.,preban guns,and ammo. The last ban just banned poor people from enjoying evil weapons. Remember $50 banana clips for Ruger 10-22s?

Romney will support assault weapons bill and Brady Bill:

The candidate reiterated his support for an assault weapons ban contained in Congress' crime bill, and the Brady law which imposes a five-day waiting period on handgun purchases. ‘I don't think (the waiting period) will have a massive effect on crime but I think it will have a positive effect,' Romney said.

Mitt Romney on Gun Control

The sad thing is that it seems that Our country is controlled by two groups...and not by The People.

I do agree but ultimately we as citizens hold a responsibility to elect leaders who will represent us. I think we as people are allowing the two big groups to control us by over simplifying issues ( makes us all hate each other ) were all Americans an just because one persons view is different doesn't mean there enemies.

Republicans and Democrats.

Capture.jpg

Capture.jpg

Why all the "AK-47" hate by the candidates. When did the AK-47 become the gun of choice in America? Last time I checked no one has used an AK in a major national news shootout since the North Hollywood shootout in 97 and only one of them used an AK, the other had an AR. Just wondering where all this AK violence that "needs to end" is occurring...

Dave, normally I enjoy most of the articles you post but, your Pro-Romney bias is appalling for a pro-2A journalist. As much as you don't like Obama, as much as the Republican party paid the NRA to endorse Romney, as much as Romney lies about being Pro-2A, he is clearly not. Obama may be for a renewal of the ban but, despite all the smoke and bullbubblegum from the Republican camp ROMNEY CREATED AND ENACTED ONE! Stop kidding ourselves. Remember, the white speck on the top of chicken bubblegum is still chicken bubblegum.

After reading this horsecrap for days, it's time to post exactly what the Gun Owners Action league has to say on the matter.
It seems that all this horsepucky about Romney signing the permanent MA AWB is wrong. Dead wrong according to GOAL.

Here, let's review what REALLY happened MA in 2004:

The Romney Record, Mitt Romney's Record as Governor of MA <--- LINK TO GOAL's article.

The Romney Record

A Look at Governor Mitt Romney's Record as Governor of Massachusetts as it Relates to the Gun Owners and Sportsmen of Our State

To all here that are believing what a few noisy progressive libs are telling you, it's time to get to the truth of the matter about GOAL's influence on then Governor Romney's agenda, and what really happened to gun laws during his tenure in MA.

Legislation: During the Romney Administration, no anti-Second Amendment or anti-sportsmen legislation made its way to the Governor's desk.

Governor Romney did sign five pro-Second Amendment/pro-sportsmen bills into law. His administration also worked with Gun Owners' Action League and the Democratic leadership of the Massachusetts House and Senate to remove any anti-Second Amendment language from the Gang Violence bill passed in 2006. A summary of this legislation follows.
Proclamations: During his administration, Governor Romney issued a proclamation declaring May 7, 2005 as "The Right to Bear Arms Day". The proclamation was issued on this date to coincide with GOAL's Annual Banquet.

Now, here is the biggie, that all you supposedly ex Massachusetts-ites seem to get wrong.
Chapter 150 of the Acts of 2004: An Act Further Regulating Certain Weapons

This is a perfect example of don't believe in titles. The bill was the greatest victory for gun owners since the passage of the gun control laws in 1998 (Chapter 180 of the Acts of 1998). It was a reform bill totally supported by GOAL. Press and media stories around the country got it completely wrong when claimed the bill was an extension of the "assault weapon" ban that had sunset at the federal level. They could not have been more wrong. Unfortunately for the Governor, someone had also wrongly briefed him about the bill. As a result the Lt. Governor and the Governor made statements at the bill signing ceremony that angered GOAL members. The following is what the bill actually did:

1. Established the Firearm License Review Board (FLRB). The 1998 law created new criteria for disqualifying citizens for firearms licenses that included any misdemeanor punishable by more than two years even if no jail time was ever served.

For instance, a first conviction of operating a motor vehicle under the influence would result in the loss of your ability to own a handgun for life and long guns for a minimum of five years. This Board is now able to review cases under limited circumstances to restore licenses to individuals who meet certain criteria.

2. Mandated that a minimum of $50,000 of the licensing fees be used for the operation of the FLRB so that the Board would not cease operating under budget cuts.

3. Extended the term of the state's firearm licenses from 4 years to 6 years.

4. Permanently attached the federal language concerning assault weapon exemptions in 18 USC 922 Appendix A to the Massachusetts assault weapons laws. This is the part that the media misrepresented.

In 1998 the Massachusetts legislature passed its own assault weapons ban (MGL Chapter 140, Section 131M). This ban did not rely on the federal language and contained no sunset clause. Knowing that we did not have the votes in 2004 to get rid of the state law, we did not want to loose all of the federal exemptions that were not in the state law so this new bill was amended to include them.

5. Re-instated a 90 day grace period for citizens who were trying to renew their firearm license. Over the past years, the government agencies in charge had fallen months behind in renewing licenses. At one point it was taking upwards of a year to renew a license. Under Massachusetts law, a citizen cannot have a firearm or ammunition in their home with an expired license.

6. Mandated that law enforcement must issue a receipt for firearms that are confiscated due to an expired license. Prior to this law, no receipts were given for property confiscated which led to accusations of stolen or lost firearms after they were confiscated by police.

7. Gave free license renewal for law enforcement officers who applied through their employing agency.

8. Changed the size and style of a firearm license to that of a driver's license so that it would fit in a normal wallet. The original license was 3" x 4".

9. Created stiffer penalties for armed home invaders.

So, all you hand-wringing naysayers that keep claiming that "Romney already signed and AWB!" are full of crapola.

There was already a Massachusetts AWB law, running parallel to the (then expired) federal AWB when Romney took office.
The bill Romney signed actually relaxed portions of the 1998 state AWB, and insured that the federal exemptions carried over into MA.

Read the article at the link above and you will find that despite the verbiage used, and the misquotes and misinterpretation by the press (Nah, they NEVER do that!) when it comes to an AWB, ROMNEY NEVER SIGNED ONE, and he certainly didn't create one!

Again, what he signed actually relaxed overly restrictive laws already on the books in MA.

Why all the "AK-47" hate by the candidates. When did the AK-47 become the gun of choice in America? Last time I checked no one has used an AK in a major national news shootout since the North Hollywood shootout in 97 and only one of them used an AK, the other had an AR. Just wondering where all this AK violence that "needs to end" is occurring...

Dave, normally I enjoy most of the articles you post but, your Pro-Romney bias is appalling for a pro-2A journalist. As much as you don't like Obama, as much as the Republican party paid the NRA to endorse Romney, as much as Romney lies about being Pro-2A, he is clearly not. Obama may be for a renewal of the ban but, despite all the smoke and bullbubblegum from the Republican camp ROMNEY CREATED AND ENACTED ONE! Stop kidding ourselves. Remember, the white speck on the top of chicken bubblegum is still chicken bubblegum.

Norm, I haven't got a clue what the fixation on AK47s is all about. I've never been able to figure that one out, either.

Now, it may appear I'm "pro-Romney" but that's a matter of interpretation. Romney is hardly my first choice, but the other guy has already demonstrated where the real trouble lies with his presidency: Federal court appointments, including SCOTUS. (The fact that his economic policies will bankrupt the country is another issue. His goobers think $4 gas is just peachy and they'd love for most of us to become dependent upon public transportation, because once they can limit and control your movement, they've got you.)

Romney, according to some folks, signed a bill that actually saved something, though to the majority of gunnies - and particularly those looking for an excuse to gripe about an imperfect world in their image - think what he did was rotten.

As we push back on gun regulations with 2A lawsuits, some of these egregious things can be undone. Gura and Gottlieb and SAF are proving that in court.

On the other hand, if the "O" man stacks the court with the likes of Kagan and Sotomayor, we're toast and so is the 2A, and anyone who doesn't understand that is brain dead. He is far more likely to do that than Romney.

Romney might just be a stop-gap until the purists can dig up and field a credible candidate that meets every one of their criteria. One that doesn't come off like a loon and turn off most voters and never make it through the primary season with more than 5% of the vote.

Have you or I ever changed our minds about some major issue? Guilty as charged on my end, because learning helps us make better choices and see our errors. maybe that's happened to Romney. He called b.s. on new gun laws Tuesday night and wouldn't take the bait when Crowley tried to trap him into saying he would support a ban if everyone agreed. He's matured a bit.

I merely reported that. Don't confuse my reporting with an endorsement. And feel free to disagree. That's what makes this forum entertaining, challenging and educational.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top