JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Honestly, I don't think you can either. Again, just tired of hearing about kids getting killed by some head case. I'm tired of my girls talking about "what if" during dinner.

Raising the age to 21 probably wouldn't do much anyway........

Trying to explain this to our 11yo daughter too - she doesn't understand, but knows something is wrong. We hate hearing these stories, and I really hope we find a way to get his under control. Relatively speaking, this is a new type of event historically. This wasn't happening regularly just 30 years ago. We need to identify the root causes and do what we can to fix it - and that it going to take a collective effort on the part of all Americans - and probably won't require politicians to arrive at the solution.

I've been asked more than once now "Dad, what would you do if there was a shooting at our school?".....

I always answer the same way......

"They'll never make it to the trial".

But...but.. but ...If it saves ONE LIFE!! (the common political excuse for throwing the Bill of Rights out the window)
The Eighth Amendment has nothing to do with saving lives, nor does it hinder the ability to save one. I don't think anyone could make that kind of argument regarding the Eighth Amendment, not that it would be a valid argument to removing any rights.

My problem is how the court handles these cases. They let the person plead insanity, which will take even longer, and will likely use that as an excuse to not give the death penalty if they were found insane. Insane or not, the person committed the crime. In this event, they know he did it, all the facts say he did it, and there's no arguing that he did not do it. In cases like that, the death penalty should be handed quite readily.

As for a deterrent, a method of execution where they're not supposed to be unconscious would probably help.

It's common to ask "How many shootings have to happen before So And So starts doing something about it!"

My question is "How many shootings have to happen before criminals finally learn not to bring firearms into Gun-Free Zones?"

It's common to ask "How many shootings have to happen before So And So starts doing something about it!"
Its not a wrong question to ask. The solution is what is wrong. Laws don't stop crimes, anyone who understands basic criminology knows this.

Laws are about defining the criminal act, and what the punishment is. Not to stop it. Read: More laws makes more criminals.

This is why I advocate adding security to the schools.

it was, but whats different is the weapons....

School shootings in the United States - Wikipedia

scroll down to the "1910s" for comparison there were 19 school shootings in the 10 year period. Thats not much different than todays century except the death toll.

That's true, but the rate/number of events has certainly increased in the last 30 years or so. Something has caused these events to become more common. Many speculate on the variety of issues leading to this disturbing result.

But we continuously come back to the same core issues when we discuss how to prevent these tragedies... It sure as heck has nothing to do with creating more laws that restrict hundreds of millions of Americans...

People who have received proper upbringing with morals, values, accurate definitions of right and wrong, and value for human life will always exhibit those traits (as least I believe so).

The problem is today, for the most part, children are reared without discipline, without boundaries of right and wrong, without an absolute set of values, without value for human life and without consequences for inappropriate or incorrect behavior.

Mix into that any chemical imbalances or any mental illness and you start to make a potent cocktail of potential tragedy...

A gun, a knife, a bomb, a vehicle, it really doesn't matter...

The Eighth Amendment has nothing to do with saving lives, nor does it hinder the ability to save one.....

Either we're agreeing or you missed the sarcasm. Although cruel and unusual punishment (under today's standards) may indeed have to do with saving a life if it's applied properly. The "if it saves just one life" excuse to trample the Constitution is what I tire of.

A bit off topic...
There was a doctor in Connecticut, that's how he disposed of his wife, into a river, did the dirty deed from a bridge. They found a fragment of one fingernail in the river, that with all the circumstantial evidence was enough to convict him...

Good forensic work!

Either we're agreeing or you missed the sarcasm. Although cruel and unusual punishment (under today's standards) may indeed have to do with saving a life if it's applied properly. The "if it saves just one life" excuse to trample the Constitution is what I tire of.
We're agreeing. I was just further commenting on what you were being sarcastic about.

Though I do not see how it can be used as an attack against the Eighth Amendment. Unless they try to argue against the death penalty, but using that kind of "logic" is rather... Well who wants to save a criminal's life?

That's true, but the rate/number of events has certainly increased in the last 30 years or so. Something has caused these events to become more common. Many speculate on the variety of issues leading to this disturbing result.

actually your right. Looking at the same wikipedia article 1910s do not even compare to the 2010s in school shootings.

however somebody told me a while ago that crime hasnt increased in history, but its really related to a percentage of the population. If thats true it means that violent crime is becoming more apparent versus more probable, per population. The US population has more than tripled in just the past 100 years alone than is has in its 240+ years of existence.

This magnifies the problem.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR