JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That's really gonna cut back on military recruitment.

Right . . . so as young as 7th or 8th grade we expect our kids to decide on, and commit to a career path that will undoubtedly come with crippling student loan debts for jobs that have less than a 50/50 chance of still existing by the time kids graduate, but gosh no! they are nowhere near mature enough to even hold a firearm.

:s0146:

I agree with the above, but I'm just gonna say I know quite a few 19-21 YO's that have the maturity level of a HS freshman.

I agree with the above, but I'm just gonna say I know quite a few 19-21 YO's that have the maturity level of a HS freshman.

No doubt a lot of people who are old enough to own a gun are not mature. When I was in school many of us owned guns. Many of us if we could afford a car would have a gun at school. To show our buddies and or shoot after school. NO ONE got shot at school. Wonder why? Where we all mature beyond our years? NO. We though had consequences for our actions. That is long gone. We also in those days had "nut houses". We used to lock people away who were a threat to others. This too has all but gone away. We now allow our "kooks" to roam free. When one of them gets a gun and shoots people it's the guns fault.

If you're old enough to carry one into battle for your country...

I say those young men and women that are brave enough to enlist are the least of my worries. And they don't "own" the firearm nor allowed to just carry it around unless in a war zone.

So why no handguns before 21 then?

I gotta be honest, I'm really torn that this high school kid was able to buy a rifle legally guys. Especially since he was reported to the FBI more than once. Yeah, they sure screwed the pooch on that one but even still...

I say those young men and women that are brave enough to enlist are the least of my worries. And they don't "own" the firearm nor allowed to just carry it around unless in a war zone.

So why no handguns before 21 then?

I gotta be honest, I'm really torn that this high school kid was able to buy a rifle legally guys. Especially since he was reported to the FBI more than once. Yeah, they sure screwed the pooch on that one but even still...

Why is the fact he was able to buy it legally bothering you? Was it legal for him to go shoot people? So you really think that if we passed a law he could not walk in and buy a gun he would just say "well damn, I guess I can't go shoot the school till I turn 21". Really? Why not just make a law where he can't murder people? If that was illegal would anyone feel better?

With today's youth and societies direction, I'd say we move everything up to 26.

Kids still unemployed at 24 living off their parents with no sign of trying to get out and be a part of society other than through a screen.

Hell, since it is considered normal for college these days to be free, through means of government controlled debt forgiveness, might as well just change college to extended high school and keep all of them in it until into thier 20s.

Honestly, I'm a bit sickened by today's children and youth so I apologize for the rant.

Why is the fact he was able to buy it legally bothering you? Was it legal for him to go shoot people? So you really think that if we passed a law he could not walk in and buy a gun he would just say "well damn, I guess I can't go shoot the school till I turn 21". Really? Why not just make a law where he can't murder people? If that was illegal would anyone feel better?

Because being 18 today is nowhere near what it was a generation ago. @Reno911 just made some very good points. It's a maturity thing. And it's a very real problem with today's young people.

With today's youth and societies direction, I'd say we move everything up to 26.

Kids still unemployed at 24 living off their parents with no sign of trying to get out and be a part of society other than through a screen.

Hell, since it is considered normal for college these days to be free, through means of government controlled debt forgiveness, might as well just change college to extended high school and keep all of them in it until into thier 20s.

Honestly, I'm a bit sickened by today's children and youth so I apologize for the rant.

This sadly is the outcome of coddling them. Parents no longer expect the child to grow up. If the child screws around at school and gets an F in a course the parents blame the teacher. Then tell the little snow flake it was all someone else's fault he failed. Do this all their life and then wonder why they never grow up? Or why when they turn 18 and finally get sent to jail what happened?

I had my first 22 rifle when I was 9 years old, if age is the problem then how come I didn't shoot people as I grew up?:D

Because we group up with a moral sense of right and wrong. Young people today are numb to it, fixated on their phones and their social media. With parents constantly being told that their feelings are what matter most. Bullpucky.

When I was a kid, social media was riding my bicycle to a buddy's house to see and ask him in person if he wanted to go shoot can's with .22's. And if I did something stupid, dad would take me out to the woodpile and show me right from wrong. That was a good thing.

Again, times change. And unfortunately society changes as well. Shoot, today you even have to be 21 to buy tobacco in Oregon. Nobody seemed to care that much about it. So instead of banning guns, why not make the age for handgun and rifle purchases 21? At least give the "kid" still in high school a chance to mature a little bit?

Because being 18 today is nowhere near what it was a generation ago. @Reno911 just made some very good points. It's a maturity thing. And it's a very real problem with today's young people.
You're still glossing over what I just said. So pass a law that he can't walk in a shop and buy the gun. Yet he is capable of shooting down kids. He did this premeditated. He hid his face, shot the people, threw the gun down and then ran. He tried to blend in with the kids running. Now this person would not use an illegal gun to do this? Really? You really think that if he can't buy a gun in a shop he will just not buy a gun? You really think guns can not be easily bought without going to a dealer????? You think he "needed an AR" to do this? So how about we just outlaw AR's? Then he can't just walk in with any hand guns and do this? Since its a gun free zone any kind of gun works. If the people you are shooting are sheep waiting what new law is going to fix this?

If we're going to have that discussion, based on maturity level, then we should reconsider the driving age - we allow 16 year olds behind the wheel of 2,000 lb vehicles, easily, and more likely, to cause injuries and death. We may also have to reconsider voting age since the maturity level certainly isn't there to make informed, rational decisions.

I don't know how I feel about it. As I recall, most of the past shootings by kids under 21 were using guns they took from their parents - not guns they bought themselves. I'm not sure such a plan would have a great deal of impact overall.

I stand undecided, but open to hear arguments for/against.

You're still glossing over what I just said. So pass a law that he can't walk in a shop and buy the gun. Yet he is capable of shooting down kids. He did this premeditated. He hid his face, shot the people, threw the gun down and then ran. He tried to blend in with the kids running. Now this person would not use an illegal gun to do this? Really? You really think that if he can't buy a gun in a shop he will just not buy a gun? You really think guns can not be easily bought without going to a dealer????? You think he "needed an AR" to do this? So how about we just outlaw AR's? Then he can't just walk in with any hand guns and do this? Since its a gun free zone any kind of gun works. If the people you are shooting are sheep waiting what new law is going to fix this?

I'm not stupid, and I know that guns can be had illegally. I don't think it's THAT easy. I wouldn't have the foggiest idea how to buy one illegally nor would I try. Did I ever say anything about AR's specifically? Nope. I said rifle.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews