JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Real tricky there... Eighth Amendment and all that.

Depends on how many wanted to live afterwards vs how many didn't care.

I have just gotten to the don't care point. Every time I see some of these scum who need to be dead and are instead cared for. It just boils my blood when I see them given unlimited medical care while others can't afford it. I just want people like this disposed of quickly. I know it will not happen but I can dream. As for the 8th remember the guys who wrote it still thought branding was NOT cruel. I have long thought killers should just be killed the way they killed their victims. Good enough for the victim? Good enough for the murderer.

As for the Eighth and the writers, the problem isn't the writers as much as it is the people now. Otherwise automatics never would have been banned.

I'm more for the firing squad, from a logical standpoint it makes sense. Cheaper and more effective than lethal injections (where just one of the poisons alone is almost 100 grand).

Don't know if any of you remember this story from 7 years ago. The kid that was shot was the son of a girl I went to high school with. I ran into her a few years after this happened, their lives were ruined - lost most of their friends and family because their son became very difficult to be around after being shot - had permanent brain damage. She was quite bitter and I just let her talk and get that out.

Here is a prime example though that changing ages wouldn't have had any impact. In this case, two shotguns were left out, unattended, one was still loaded. The kids didn't buy these guns, they were left out by the parents - and now one family is ruined over it.

That's just one example of why I don't think more laws are going to help. People either choose to be safe and secure their guns or they don't. No law will prevent those that leave guns laying around from getting into the wrong hands - whether the wrong hands accidentally shoot a friend or drive to school and shoot scores of people.

Here is the link to the story if anyone cares to read it: Oregon City boy, 13, faces possible criminal charges after accidentally shooting his best friend

I think an adult should have all the full rights of a full fledged citizen. I also think that if the science says a 18yo brain is not developed enough to make adult decisions, a conversation can be had to raise the legal adult age. I also think that parents or legal guardians should be able to bypass this for things like gun ownership and military service if they feel their child is mature enough.

But at the end of the day, crazy is crazy and there is zero way to stop a deranged individual of any age hell bent on murder and mayhem in a free society.

Safety training will prevent accidents. This was NOT an accident. He knew exactly what he was doing. He did not go there thinking the guns were not going to kill. He tried to hide his identity. After shooting he dropped the guns and ran. He tried to blend in with the kids running. Safety training will not make some kook like this not kill. He wanted to kill. He was trying to get away with murdering these kids.

You eat an elephant one bite at a time, you rebuild a broken society one kid at a time. Kids would work together and share the values just like they would getting a drivers license. You instill in the kids values that they have lost. It' not about the kid that' gone but the kid you can save.o_O

Like others have expressed here, I am also torn about this. When I was a teenager, I was a member of the school rifle team and went to practice every Thursday night in an indoor range inside of a high school in PORTLAND ! Times have changed haven't they ?

I also believe from my observations that a large portion of school age kids have changed as well. A sense of personal responsibility, acceptable behavior and plain common sense are at a premium these days. Be it poor parenting, cultural degradation in general or something in the water, I would not trust most kids alone with a firearm that I didn't personally know. The argument of kids serving in the military does not really translate into a public scenario. Observation and supervision are present in a military setting.

I am playing with this idea of 21 as a minimum for firearm purchase, transfer.
What about this ?
Retain 18 for the minimum age for long gun purchase, but, to legally transfer, said weapon, a parent / guardian is required to sign and do the BGC as well. This would create responsibility and liability on the parent's part, in effect requiring them to vouch for their child's fitness to own a firearm.

Maturity and social coddling to me this is the root of the problem. watch the first five minutes-ish, Those kids are now having kids and raising them the same way.

Last Edited:
Here is a prime example though that changing ages wouldn't have had any impact. In this case, two shotguns were left out, unattended, one was still loaded. The kids didn't buy these guns, they were left out by the parents - and now one family is ruined over it.

That's just one example of why I don't think more laws are going to help. People either choose to be safe and secure their guns or they don't. No law will prevent those that leave guns laying around from getting into the wrong hands - whether the wrong hands accidentally shoot a friend or drive to school and shoot scores of people.
let me guess.... not my kids. My kids know better. My kids know how to safely handle a gun.

this isn't 1984 anymore, kids are growing up glued to their cell phones and virtual reality games not having conversations with the fam fam at the dinner table anymore.

This weeks Florida shooters foster parents knew and allowed him to own his AR15 in their home, yet all I read about the guy is how everybody and their brother knew the guy was psycho.

18 is where it should stay, and where the age for handguns should be lowered to. Stop coddling the snowflake generation, hold them accountable for their actions. This knee jerk reaction - raising the age - is just what the left wants. The Constitution does not have a floor or ceiling age on your civil rights. My cousin Tyler bought his first gun at 18, still in high school. He's 26 now, gainfully employed, head on his shoulders, responsible citizen. Stop this nonsense that 18 year olds are children. If we make kids mature and hold them responsible for their actions and end participation trophy mentality, things will get better.

We also need to hold the government accountable - the FBI knew this kid was a problem, but ignoring the Clinton crimes and trying to get the President on anything they can is more important, it would seem.

Leave my rights, and the rights of other responsible citizens and young adults be. Not one more inch to the anti freedom gun haters.

18 is where it should stay, and where the age for handguns should be lowered to. Stop coddling the snowflake generation, hold them accountable for their actions. This knee jerk reaction - raising the age - is just what the left wants. The Constitution does not have a floor or ceiling age on your civil rights. My cousin Tyler bought his first gun at 18, still in high school. He's 26 now, gainfully employed, head on his shoulders, responsible citizen. Stop this nonsense that 18 year olds are children. If we make kids mature and hold them responsible for their actions and end participation trophy mentality, things will get better.

We also need to hold the government accountable - the FBI knew this kid was a problem, but ignoring the Clinton crimes and trying to get the President on anything they can is more important, it would seem.

Leave my rights, and the rights of other responsible citizens and young adults be. Not one more inch to the anti freedom gun haters.

Handguns at 18? Nope, I wouldn't vote for that one. Sorry.

I have to agree with this, good post. Yes there is a disconnect with some millennialis but not all and accommodating them isn't going to help.

Instead of increasing the age of gun purchasing, I say we lower that age of charging minors as adults. Note that would open them up to the death penalty.

(edited for spelling only)

Last Edited:
let me guess.... not my kids. My kids know better. My kids know how to safely handle a gun.

this isn't 1984 anymore, kids are growing up glued to their cell phones and virtual reality games not having conversations with the fam fam at the dinner table anymore.

This weeks Florida shooters foster parents knew and allowed him to own his AR15 in their home, yet all I read about the guy is how everybody and their brother knew the guy was psycho.

Which is why new laws simply aren't going to work. Too many people ignore them altogether or simply don't exercise good judgment. Ultimately, you can't legislate away the problem components of society.

Real tricky there... Eighth Amendment and all that.

Depends on how many wanted to live afterwards vs how many didn't care.

But...but.. but ...If it saves ONE LIFE!! (the common political excuse for throwing the Bill of Rights out the window)

I do think a harsh dose of genuine reality in some of these cases would be a greater deterrent to the next nut than we realize. IF done promptly and publicly. The way the death penalty is done today, it's doesn't function as a deterrent because there's too much time passed, too much secrecy of the whole affair and no surety of it actually happening even in the most heinous crimes . It's not made real. Rather like trying to teach your dog to not chew your slippers by beating the crap out of him six months after he's done it. There's no connection made.

The Biblical admonition of "Train up a child in the way he should go" is all too often not done properly. Even conscientious, well intentioned parents (and sadly there are too many who aren't) frequently do it wrong. You can't wait until a kid has 8 or 10 years of bad habits and then try to train him. If started almost at birth, by the time the kid's 3 or 4 he's more likely on the right track. Granted, it can be a bit of a crap shoot and every kid is different but there are things that improve the odds.

Which is why new laws simply aren't going to work. Too many people ignore them altogether or simply don't exercise good judgment. Ultimately, you can't legislate away the problem components of society.

Honestly, I don't think you can either. Again, just tired of hearing about kids getting killed by some head case. I'm tired of my girls talking about "what if" during dinner.

Raising the age to 21 probably wouldn't do much anyway........

exactly. I'm compassionate to the idea of raising the age... but understand its not going to work. Its the wrong idea because you cant legislate violence and crime. period. Raising the age isn't going to stop mass shootings.

bubblegum THAT!! What good would that do if they want them they will get them. When I get a chance I will go back and read the whole thread but that is my first thought.

If you can go to war and die for your country then why the hell can't you buy a gun!

Upcoming Events

Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top