JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Maybe a sensitive topic. Replies not necessary. But I've been working in tech field and come across immigrants all the time. Most of them have adapted well to the "gun culture" (disparaging term by democrats). But we love the term. Most of the immigrants I have known have purchased firearms, something they weren't allowed to do in their native country.

I'm curious how many immigrants understand this is about the 2nd Amendment, and the Constitution, and not about self-defense. That is a critical distinction that everyone should know. Guns, in the hands of civilians, is why America is free. Any attempt to disarm America, is to try and make America "less free".

So, do you understand why gun freedom is so important to Americans. The Constitution does NOT grant a right to guns. It PROTECTs that right, by demanding the govt NOT infringe upon a right already held.

And no offense: I hope you came here to adapt to our culture, and not try to make it like the country you left.

Most legal immigrants know more about American history, how we were founded and the constitution then college age and under American born citizens do.

They have more pride in being able to call themselves Americans too.

Most legal immigrants know more about American history, how we were founded and the constitution then college age and under American born citizens do.

100%. They also work extremely hard save money and buy homes and take advantage of the opportunities.

Lots of immigrants in Aerospace. Almost all the legal immigrants I have met told me they grew up looking up to America and they are concerned America is becoming immoral and weak.

I didn't ask about American history. I asked about guns. That is NOT taught in the immigration process. My wife is an immigrant and only recently went through the citizenship process. She was NOT taught about guns, or why the 2ndA is in the Constitution.

But thanks for speaking "for them"

Semper Fi

I didn't ask about American history. I asked about guns. That is NOT taught in the immigration process. My wife is an immigrant and only recently went through the citizenship process. She was NOT taught about guns, or why the 2ndA is in the Constitution.

There are plenty of guntubers that are immigrants. They seem to get as much of a kick out of it as we do.

Semper Fi
Guns have alot to do with our history…..

I guess I'm talking to different immigrants than you are. But you seem to know all.

Maybe a sensitive topic. Replies not necessary. But I've been working in tech field and come across immigrants all the time. Most of them have adapted well to the "gun culture" (disparaging term by democrats). But we love the term. Most of the immigrants I have known have purchased firearms, something they weren't allowed to do in their native country.

I'm curious how many immigrants understand this is about the 2nd Amendment, and the Constitution, and not about self-defense. That is a critical distinction that everyone should know. Guns, in the hands of civilians, is why America is free. Any attempt to disarm America, is to try and make America "less free".

So, do you understand why gun freedom is so important to Americans. The Constitution does NOT grant a right to guns. It PROTECTs that right, by demanding the govt NOT infringe upon a right already held.

And no offense: I hope you came here to adapt to our culture, and not try to make it like the country you left.
In some sense, 2A is indeed about self-defense. It certainly derives from the natural law of self-defense; it's just applied to a much larger context (ballooning to defense of State) in the case of 2A.

My wife is from another country. She recently, after a long and expensive process, became a full United States citizen. While she wasn't required to learn in detail about the Constitution, I try to help her understand it as best I can, when I can. It can be a difficult process at times; it's a different mindset than she's used to. Where she's from, collective society and family have a much greater emphasis than the individual. So, although she understands, intellectually, it doesn't really resonate with her the same way it does for me.

Edit: That said, she isn't really into pew pew, much to my disappointment. She's pretty sensitive to loud noises, so ... sometimes I can get her to shoot a .22LR, but that's about as far as it's gone.

Guns have alot to do with our history…..

I guess I'm talking to different immigrants than you are. But you seem to know all.
The point is that I was specifically talking about the 2nd Ammendment. NOT U.S. History, in general. What part of that is complicated for you?

I agree more know more about America, than Americans. But not necessarily about the 2nd A and why it's in the constitution.
My wife is an immigrant. She went through the immigration process. The 2nd Ammendment was not discussed in the material. All I'm trying to find out, is how much immigrants understand about the 2nd A. It's not rocket science. And yes, I 'know it all" whn it comes to undertanding why I asked the question.

When were you in the Marines?

The point is that I was specifically talking about the 2nd Ammendment. NOT U.S. History, in general. What part of that is complicated for you?

I agree more know more about America, than Americans. But not necessarily about the 2nd A and why it's in the constitution.
My wife is an immigrant. She went through the immigration process. The 2nd Ammendment was not discussed in the material. All I'm trying to find out, is how much immigrants understand about the 2nd A. It's not rocket science. And yes, I 'know it all" whn it comes to undertanding why I asked the question.

I guess I can't help you then. You were probably an officer by the way you hold yourself up so high. That is… if you also were in the military.

I'm out.

"...and not about self-defense." I just received the June 2023 American Rifleman yesterday. From the monthly column of the esteemed and well dressed & dapper Wayne LaPierre - "they misuse and abuse the power of their offices to protect criminals" "Their answer to violent crime is to render the innocent helpless against the deadly criminals they enable" "Biden and his ilk go out of their way to make excuses for dangerous, violent, and murderous criminals and to keep them on the streets." I don't know, bro - sounds like he's leaning in pretty heavily on the self-defense angle to me. Possibly the "we must be able to overthrow a government that grows tyrannical" and "the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants" messages sound too much like idiotic and juvenile fantasy?

I agree with your overall sentiment, but….

Your Freedoms Are Not Secured by God, a Document, or the Bravery of Your Forefathers. They are Secured Because Tyrants Fear That, Should They Try To Take Them From You, You Will Fight Back with Weapons.

Men who are descendent from those who would not be ruled, who will not bend the knee, who are willing to lay down their lives, who prefer death as free men over being an eliete's property, who are willing to shed the blood of would-be tyrants and their sycophants, who are armed to the teeth and ready to do needful things…..

THAT is what secures your freedom from the beasts that would use, abuse, and devour you and those you love.

The Constitution merely codifies your rights, it has no teeth but our teeth, no feet but our feet, no fists but our fists, and no bullets but our bullets.

Last Edited:
I worked with several H1b visa holders from India. They knew little about the 2A, but did like guns. Most wanted to be Citizens but I'm not sure how that worked with their visas. They did have to stay employed in their field to remain here.
I did my best to educate them in th 2A. They seemed to get it; they were all very smart.
Trivia: Visa holders may purchase/own firearms. The must have a Hunter Safety certificate.

Joe

You are going to receive many different opinions on this topic, just like any other internet forum topic. Responding with a poor attitude because you don't think the posts follow your OP isn't going to get you anywhere.

My grandfather emigrated here from England in the late 50s. I don't know when exactly he started getting into guns, but he definitely carried a concealed pistol everywhere he went. When I was a youngster I recall him showing us his .38 snubby revolver. He said that mindset of having a tool to defend yourself and your family just wasn't that prevalent back home, and it was one of the many things about this country he appreciated.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews