JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I got mine at 12. I shot it so much I actually wore it out.

Back when I could ride my bike to TrueValue and buy .22lr at the counter. Along with some licorice for the ride to the fields.

It wasn't THAT long ago....I'm 43.....

18 is where it should stay, and where the age for handguns should be lowered to. Stop coddling the snowflake generation, hold them accountable for their actions. This knee jerk reaction - raising the age - is just what the left wants. The Constitution does not have a floor or ceiling age on your civil rights. My cousin Tyler bought his first gun at 18, still in high school. He's 26 now, gainfully employed, head on his shoulders, responsible citizen. Stop this nonsense that 18 year olds are children. If we make kids mature and hold them responsible for their actions and end participation trophy mentality, things will get better.

We also need to hold the government accountable - the FBI knew this kid was a problem, but ignoring the Clinton crimes and trying to get the President on anything they can is more important, it would seem.

Leave my rights, and the rights of other responsible citizens and young adults be. Not one more inch to the anti freedom gun haters.

Exactly, their fears DO NOT Trump my rights!!!

Last Edited:
Putting an age limit on firearms ownership is pure ludicrous. This is the typical knee jerk reaction we get from the liberal anti gunners.

No age limit at all? Why not let 10 year olds drive then? Shoot, forget any and all laws while we're at it. :rolleyes:

I had a 22.when I was 8 , and a shotgun when I turned 12. Let's talk about parents teaching their kids morals and values.

Making another law just covers up the crap underneath.

My dad got me my first pellet gun when I was 8. He drew the gun out of his gun cabinet, issued me ammo and watched me shoot. I was 10 when I got a single shot 22. I always shot it with him supervising. At 12 I got a 10/22 when I proved I could be deliberate and wouldn't just make noise with the gun. 13 was when I got my 870 and 15 when I got my M1A.

Kids still scare the heck out of me these days.

When gun owners start thinking that more laws are needed then all our rights are in jeopardy.

Dude, there's already a law, he's merely suggesting modifying it because today parents, who were getting knocked up when they were 14, can't teach their jackass punk kids to cope with problems and not shoot up a school because someone finally told them no and didn't put up with their bubblegum.

Nobody suggested any new laws.

I was 14 and had a .22 pistol and rifle, an SKS, a 308 and a nagant. Had my first HD situation when I was 14 as well. An SKS with a 30 round mag and a bayonet extended did the trick. Crappy neighborhood I lived in in CA at the time.

I think the age of majority (AOM) should mean something. If you are a legal adult at 18, then you should be able to vote, drink, buy a gun, serve your country, enter into contracts, etc.

Now if you want to talk about raising the AOM, I'm happy to have that discussion. But everything goes up. If you can't buy a gun until 21, then you can't vote until 21 too.

And btw...there are recent studies out that say the brain isn't fully formed until about 24 or 25 which is older than they thought. Thus, adolescence lasts much longer than they previously thought. So there is scientific evidence that suggests we might be better off raising the AOM. However, I think the genie is out of the bottle on a lot of this. If we now tell 18-24 year olds that they can't vote now until they're 25, it's probably not going to go over too well.

If you can get drafted and can potentially die for this country at say 18 years of age......why do the liberals object to gun ownership at that age?

Aloha, Mark

PS....my son is on active duty in AZ with the USMC. He's taking a CCW class. I questioned him about his age being a factor (he is 20 years old). He said that "active duty military" can get a waiver to CCW in AZ.

I think if you look back from the frontier days through to today, you will find that the age at which people truly become adults has been pushed back later and later.

Back in the 1800s, you could read about plenty of people who had the necessary qualities of adulthood as early as 12 or 13. Today many college undergrads would be hard pressed to compete for the qualities of adulthood, and you can find people with the qualities of children well into their thirties.

I think it's useful to consider what it means to be an adult. I believe that it means recognition of personal, individual responsibility, and a deeply seated understanding of consequences. For example, to know that it is your responsibility to pay your own way through life, or that if you pull the trigger the person on the other end of the tube isn't coming back, and what that might mean to their family.

A society that coddles children, insulates them from harm and danger, and lets them abdicate responsibility for their life and actions can only produce adults that will continue to be older and older. A society that advocates letting the government take care of you instead of forcing you to take care of yourself can only produce old children. I don't think adults can develop in an environment where someone else is always there to save them or keep them from getting their feelings hurt.

I honestly don't know what good age limits do anymore. They don't keep pace with society, and they don't take into account the nature of an individual. Maybe we should go back to some sort of test or rite of passage. Survive on your own in the wilderness for two weeks, get a job and make your own money, and then you can be an adult?

In any case I think focusing on the weapon here is completely the wrong approach and only follows the direction of the politics. The real question is why a high value target with a pattern of being attacked has such poor security?

Would anyone take a bank seriously if they stored their cash in a cardboard box behind the counter, and complained about a society that produced too many bank robbers or made getaway cars too easy to obtain? Maybe if we just passed some laws banning getaway cars they'd stop robbing us...

I don't claim to have the answer Alex. I'm just tired of reading about POS's killing kids.

So, make MURDER.....illegal.

Oh wait....it already is.

+++++

To stop a bad guy with a gun, you need a good guy with a gun. Some choose to fight, while some choose to let "the others" do the fighting for them. I know which person I want to be.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews