JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
TCOV- I was issued a valid Washington cpl in 15 minutes. The officer that took me in for printing was very friendly and it was a refreshing surprise that she said she had already checked my files and I was good to go. I have a valid cpl not a temporary permit and I can carry concealed now and I am not breaking the law. So I see it as me having being issued a cpl within 15 minutes. I only mention it because I felt lucky on that one, I know that alot of people have to wait the full thirty days which I fully expected to be the case with me. I had heard of people getting them in 10 days and less sometimes but I expected to get the maximum just because it was a hassle for me to get my Florida cwp and took around 8 months for me to get. I can't remember for sure but I think Florida is a may issue state not a shall issue state. Their cwp's are issued from one single place for the whole state, The Dept of Agriculture and licensing I think. Anyways I was told there was a 4 month backlog and that's how long most people were waiting to receive their cwp's. I was applying right after the election and everyone and their mother were applying for cwp's. I know I waited 4 or 5 months just to receive any response from them. You have to pay for a class, get your little nra certificate for basic pistol marksmanship, got ink fingerprints taken and mailed that all in with a check for $114, then wait around 4 months. I got printed as a part of my class though. You had the option of going into a pd and paying around $50 bucks for them to submit your electronic finger prints which I opted not to do. That's just for them to submit your prints for you electronicaly they don't issue any type of permit.
They wanted further proof that I was an American citizen, as my father, a Vietnam veteran, served in the U.S. military I was born in Germany. So I write Augsburg, Bavaria Germany in the little spot that asks where you were born. Then I check the little spot that says U.S. citizen. So I sent them a copy of my report of birth of a U.S. citizen abroad- (which I had just had reissued as Florida also had denied me a driver's license because my original certificate of birth abroad of a united states citizen didn't look like the little picture of a birth certificate next to her desk and I'm not sure if she could read English well enough to read the part that said united states citizen. So I actualy had to have my parents get me a new birth certificate and mail it to me before I could get a drivers license as the current report of birth more closely resembles the picture of a birth certificate next to her desk)- which I had to mail off and wait for another month for an acknowledgment that I was indeed a U.S citizen and they were continuing to investigate my background.
Another month later I get an inquiry regarding a no process misdemeanor in Virginia for a case in which my lawyer (not public defender) convinced the prosecution before trial that they were going to lose the case and they lost interest in prosecuting and gave it a no process. They needed a form with the courts final disposition.( It was a non disqualifying misdemeanor anyways) and that I had 2 weeks to respond or they would suspend my application. So I was able to track down my lawyer and request a copy of the courts final disposition, his secretary was able to get me a notorized copy of the courts final disposition-which was a no process from 8 years prior and she mailed the copy to me and then I mailed the copy to them. I didn't make the date before suspension though so I had to mail it with an informal hearing explaining the circumstances and apologizing for turning in my homework late. Another month went by and I got a letter saying they had reinstated their investigation into my background. Another month later I got a letter in the mail with my cwp. Yay me! I was also ready to get the heck out of Florida by then and moved bacj to Washington.
This is why I was so elated about getting my Washington cpl so fast.i know they could take it back if they found a reason to within 30 days but the officer who processed me seemed content with my background check and I had never used one of those computers that run your prints as your taking them which I thought was pretty cool vs the ink fingerprints I had done before. Also, anyone could have their cpl revoked at any time should some information surface that disqualified them. Their pd just wouldn't be actively seeking information after the fist 30 days.

TCOV- you are right on the money about the transfer, I'm just saying the cpl I have now is a real cpl. Besides if they were to question anything regarding my background I am now epuiped with an arsenal of paperwork and forms, and the no process misdemeanor from 2003 in Virginia is not a misdemeanor that would disqualify me even if I had been found guilty on the state of Washington. I have learned alot from this thread and thankyou everybody your information and it has forced me to read the laws a lot more which I should have done in the firstplace. Waiting still sucks though.

it's the sheriff's office that "delay" the sale. it's not the gun shop that is delaying it. they have no reason to.

My buddy went through the same BS a few times but never found out why because the Sheriff's office won't disclose that information.

A shop owner was telling me about this so I started this thread and joerocket set us straight

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/legal-political/66047-county-messin-gun-shop-buyers-2.html

41.090 deals with dealer delivery. Pistols are required to have the Wa. State pistol form filled out and it is sent to the chief or sheriff. They then do a background check and can put a hold on the delivery of up to thirty days under certain circumstances.

(1) In addition to the other requirements of this chapter, no dealer may deliver a pistol to the purchaser thereof until:

(2)(a) Except as provided in (b) of this subsection, in determining whether the purchaser meets the requirements of RCW 9.41.040, the chief of police or sheriff, or the designee of either, shall check with the national crime information center, the Washington state patrol electronic database, the department of social and health services electronic database, and with other agencies or resources as appropriate, to determine whether the applicant is ineligible under RCW 9.41.040 to possess a firearm.

(b) Once the system is established, a dealer shall use the state system and national instant criminal background check system, provided for by the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act (18 U.S.C. Sec. 921 et seq.), to make criminal background checks of applicants to purchase firearms. However, a chief of police or sheriff, or a designee of either, shall continue to check the department of social and health services' electronic database and with other agencies or resources as appropriate, to determine whether applicants are ineligible under RCW 9.41.040 to possess a firearm.

But I do have,and have had my CHL and CWP(old name) for 20 some years and still get a delay about once a year

A shop owner was telling me about this so I started this thread and joerocket set us straight

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/legal-political/66047-county-messin-gun-shop-buyers-2.html

But I do have,and have had my CHL and CWP(old name) for 20 some years and still get a delay about once a year

Is your delay from NICS or the CLEO? I have never waited for the CLEO to respond, or not respond in many cases, with a CPL. All I get is a NICS check, fill out the state pistol form and walk out the door with the pistol.

joeroket if you have a cpl then the delay will come from the nics. Basically the nics call goes to a lowlevel fed employee or I have heard maybe even a contract employee. They have access to certain database and if they see something that they don't understand they go to "delay" untill they can get more information, probably passing it to someone else. I used to get delay all the time and even a couple denials until I got a UPIN number from the fbi which alows them to keep my records open instead of closing them after the proceed call. What bothers one person taking the nics call may be fine with the next person, so you can get a proceed one time and a delay the next time. I even got a couple delays with the UPIN number but a quick call back by the dealer got a proceed. With a cpl and instant nics check the local leo gets his paperwork after you have gone home with your handgun.

Is your delay from NICS or the CLEO? I have never waited for the CLEO to respond, or not respond in many cases, with a CPL. All I get is a NICS check, fill out the state pistol form and walk out the door with the pistol.

From nics.Never really bothers me though.I am not in dire need of another gun RIGHT NOW so not really a problem worth my time looking into it.

Thanks again everyone for the great information, references and links. TCOV and joerocket especially, but er'ybody for sharing your experiences and opinions. Sorry if I came off as a smart a$$ to misterbill, I just hate when someone jumps in the middle of a thread without reading the original post or any of the other posts with a one liner solution for all of us morons. It's like reading a thread where the op states that he wants an xd or xdm and can't decide between those two options and someone has to jump in say "buy a glock! Xd's stink!" Doesn't help the op so much.
So did I read correctly that the mandatory release date for a handgun in Washington is 5 business days UNLESS the sheriff's dept "delays" or "holds" the sale to continue investigating the buyer's background? Or is that incorrect? The last handgun I bought in Washington was around a year ago at a different store and the dealer told me I could pick it up in 10 days. That is just what the dealer told me and I believed it was the normal wait and didn't check back until I came to pick it up. To my knowledge that 10 day wait was implemented exclusively by the dealer. Maybe it was more of a "don't bother me for 10 days".
In my current situation I was only concerned because when I called back a week later (5 business days) and I was told it was being "delayed". That is what blew my gasket, I just didn't know why it had happened although in this case it is definately not the dealers fault and they even made an extra call on my behalf. If the dealer had just said "it's not ready yet" I probably would have thought nothing of it, as I was unaware of the actual wait time or exactly how the process worked until starting this thread.
So-the maximum wait time without a cpl (which I didn't have when I started the process) is 5 business days correct? Unless the Sheriff red flags the transfer for some reason. In my case I'm being forced to wait 10 business days, not that bad in the big picture, but my actual wait time will total 22 days considering the week before the transfer where I paid in full to order it, then did the paperwork when it arrived, then exclude that day as one of the business days, as I did it in the evening after work and I was told the first day of application didn't count as one of the business days. So add the weekends and that day and my actual wait from paperwork is 15 days, 22 days since payment. I don't own an arsenal of guns (yet); this will be my primary edc/cc/range gun as I sold my previous "primary" to fund this.

Just so you are clear on it. In Washington the mandatory wait period is 5 business days, the day of purchase and the day of pickup do not count toward the wait days. Add in two weekend days in the mix and for all intents and purposes you are really looking at 9 days to get the handgun. 5 day wait my ***. ;) Good luck, I hope you get to pickup your new blaster sooner rather than later!

In WA it does not matter where you buy. If you don't have a CPL the paperwork has to go through the LEO for your place of residence. Not where the shop is located. It takes local and fed approval without the CPL (With a CPL you have local approval already). The law says 5 days plus day of purchase, weekends, and holidays prior to delivery. It does not say what happens if the local takes longer to approve. Your only alternative is to cuss and fume (I guess you could sue them; but, good luck with that).
Ed

Ok lets see if i have this right from what I have read. I do not have my permit yet. I live in Vancouver and called Cabelas to have a pistol shipped from one of there other stores which will cost me nothing. They said they would call me in 3 to 5 days when it gets there. So I am waiting to do the paper work til it gets there. Its about a 2 hour drive to Lacy.
So if I get my concealed permit I may get to take it home after a short wait or they might make me wait the 5 business days. Its up to them? If I had my permit and they let me have it when i do the paper work it would save me a second trip. I am just wondering on what to expect if I go get my permit. Thanks for the info in advance.

Ok lets see if i have this right from what I have read. I do not have my permit yet. I live in Vancouver and called Cabelas to have a pistol shipped from one of there other stores which will cost me nothing. They said they would call me in 3 to 5 days when it gets there. So I am waiting to do the paper work til it gets there. Its about a 2 hour drive to Lacy.
So if I get my concealed permit I may get to take it home after a short wait or they might make me wait the 5 business days. Its up to them? If I had my permit and they let me have it when i do the paper work it would save me a second trip. I am just wondering on what to expect if I go get my permit. Thanks for the info in advance.

If you have a CPL, there is no wait.

I have a friend who is regularly "delayed" on his gun purchases in WA state. He has no felonies, nor any other reasons to be delayed, yet it happens with monotonous regularity. He called the ATF for clarification, and they told him that his name was very similar to another individual who had numerous convictions, and that is why his purchases always run into a snag.

I have only purchased one firearm without a CPL. Mine had lapsed and I hadn't noticed, but it only slowed up the purchase a few days (can't remember exactly how many--memory is the second thing to go. . .;)) Now that you have your CPL, your purchases should go more smoothly.

cb:s0155:

We were told by the gun shop that it was being delayed by the Sheriff's office.:confused:

The delay from the sheriff's office is for a mental health check. Nics doesn't get to check if you have ever been adjudicated insane or off your rocker in any way. So the sheriff's office does this until the data base is accessible to nics.
That's all the sheriff has to do with it.
At least that's how it was explained to me

I get delayed 100% of the time. Before I had a CPL it was 5 days. Now it is 3 days. I don't purchase from big box sporting goods stores or gun shows because of this. If I find something I like in one of those places, I look for it FTF, on-line, or at a local gun shop.
It is not my loss; but their's. If Cabelas and like followed the rules as written they could make the sales. The local guys understand the rules and are not afraid of abiding by them.

As explained to me. NICS has three days to issue a deny after issuing a delay (almost instant, sort of like Government's "overnight mail"). If they do not, the gun can be delivered. They have 30 days to review the delay. If during the 30 days the NICS decide to deny and the gun has been delivered it the NICS's problem and they either let it go or they have ask the Feds to go get it back. I don't know what the procedure is for that; but, I have never heard of them going after it.
Ed

Makes me wonder if posting on these boards has anything to do with it. Most of us can agree that all of the firearms related boards are monitored by the feds, and all it would take is a rant when ticked off at some idiotic action or law to get yourself a little entry in some file.
Still, one would figure that since computerization, it would not be all that difficult for them to already have have categorized as "harmless twit", "raving lunatic" or "clueless idealist".

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top