JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've seen that Glock is letting veterans buy a single pistol at their Blue label program prices. I've never bought a Glock because I've always felt they were too ugly to be interested in. With the Gen 4 and Gen 5 they've finally styled them so they kinda look cool. I've wanted a 10mm for a long time. So I'm considering a Glock 29. I'm second guessing buying a 29 for a first Glock though. Maybe a Gen 5 19 might be a better choice for my first sip of koolaide? What do you all with more Glock experience think?

Bryan
The 29 was my first and only Glock for the soul reason to get into 10mm . It took a while to like it , and some grip work . It's a good pistol , very versatile . It can be made in to a 20 easily and changed back ..... all but the sight radius . With hot reloads I am getting 1270 with 180's out of it . And it handles them very well , very shootable . It's not like holding on to a tornado or anything like some folks assume .
A206EABA-AC82-4F5D-92A1-4BB3A5354A31.jpeg

I have a 17, 20, 29, 33, and two 42's. The 17 and one of the 42's are claimed by the Warden. so I have a 380, 357 Sig and two 10 MM's for me. If I could only keep one of what I use it would be the G-33 in 357 Sig, my head and shoulders best Glock. The Tens have a blocky grip (The 20 full sized block is more comfortable) I can shoot both fairly well. The 33 fits in my pocket or inside my waistband, or out on my belt. I carry a spare G-22 or G-31 15 round magazine for a spare to reload, if 9+1 of the flush mag is not enough. I have a 40 conversion barrel for mine. (Nothing to change but bullets and barrel, uses same magazines) I could buy a 9MM barrel and magazines, but I have never used the 40 barrel, so I'll just stick with shooting 357 Sig. I also have a Glock made, 22 round 40/357 caliber happy magazine for it.

I did buy a 29 first and I like it, but it is awful fat to carry.

Anyway G-33 all the way.

If you like .40 cal, I'd say a G23. That way you can use conversion barrels if you want to shoot 9mm or .357 sig. One gun, three calibers..... options;)

But if you like 9mm, the G19 is a great choice. And you can go from 15 rounds to 33 rounds as far as magazine capacity goes..... again, options.

You can also get complete uppers and shoot .22lr.

If you have large hands, you could go with a G22 .40 cal. or G17 9mm.

I don't have experience with .45 acp or 10mm.

And if you want to, you can brace the Glock and have something like a PDW that can legally be shouldered if needed to be. Of course your intention would be to have a braced pistol and not bypass NFA laws as far as loop holes with SBRs. You have more options with braced pistols anyway.... why people SBR now days, I don't know but I digress.

I don't own a Glock yet even though I have rented a Glock 17 quite a bit at the range. I also tried a Glock 23 years ago but I bought a HK USP 40 instead.

I have a Glock 32 (.357 Sig) I recently purchased under the Glock Blue Label Program (LEO, active and retired military, etc) for a song. I haven't tried reloading .357 Sig as the more I read, the more a pain in the bubblegum it seems. But the Glock 32 shares the same compact frame, slide, and mags with the Glock 23 (and same frame/slide with the Glock 19), so barrel conversions to .40 and 9mm are a cinch if you want to shoot something less devastating and expensive for practice or even carry. I like the compact size and capacity over the subcompact pistols. The 19/23/32 pistols are ideal carry guns and allow you to put hundreds or rounds through so you can get entirely comfortable and proficient without feeling your wrist is going to give out in the process while having the inherent flexibility to let you use lower power rounds. My two cents just for the flexibility alone.

OP here, I don't really like the looks of Gen 3 and nobody could find a Gen 4 29 in the blue label program so I decided to go the way of the majority and get a 19. My LGS had a 19 Gen 5 with night sights in stock. Just got out a couple days ago, haven't had a chance to break it in yet:(.

Bryan

I am not a Glock .40 S&W fan just due to it's teething pains when it first debuted, Glock has long since fixed the problems, but I'm a little stubborn. I'd buy a LEO trade, so not that stubborn, and I have a G-33 and 357 Sig is part .40 S&W. I am a G-33, 31 fan. I have not tried a G-19 Gen 5 with the smoothed out grip, and I have had recent surgery on my right wrist that has improved articulation a little, so that Compact frame might suit me now , but it did not with the gen 4 and 'old' wrist
I do like .40 S&W though and it's star is rising with me, I have bought three of that caliber (Not Glock's) this year (2018)
I like the OP's choice

My first Glock was a 17L. If you can hit your target with that you need a few minutes with an instructor to review the basics. After that a dozen more came along and they all play nice.

10mm is fun and the 29 is nice. I have owned a couple of different models over the years. Gen 2's,3's and 4's. Have not tried a gen 5 yet but I probably will eventually get one. I have had 22,23,17,19,26,30s,36,29,22 and have shot 40, 38 and 32. By no means am I an expert but I will share my thoughts and experiences with you.

Funny how things that happen recently in work coincides with what some people here are curious about. A coworker of mine is considering getting an H&K VP9. Not sure if they were thinking of full size or compact but rather irrelevant for my next comments. I was asked about my thoughts and experience in the subject matter.

First: I always tell everyone to see what feels comfortable and what they could tolerate as far as comfort.

Second: look at the companies track record. Reputable, quality and what not.

Third: rent the caliber of what they are considering in shooting and buying. Try different models and manufacturers.

Fourth: need to be able to shoot strong hand and weak handed. "Accurately"!

Fifth: Decide if you just want something to go plinking with or you want something for end of days.

Sixth: the cost of the particular firearm and accessories for it. Example, spare parts/oops parts. Magazines, night sights and holsters are other things.

After all of these things I would then choose based on what I decided was best for my purposes. Then I told them that I would go with a Glock 19. Now, my logic and reasoning is quite simple. It works. If the end of days did take place then you have a higher likelihood of coming across a Glock in 9mm than most other pistols. Inexpensive upgrades, cost effective magazines, and cheaper to shoot.

10mm is fun and the 29 is nice. I have owned a couple of different models over the years. Gen 2's,3's and 4's. Have not tried a gen 5 yet but I probably will eventually get one. I have had 22,23,17,19,26,30s,36,29,22 and have shot 40, 38 and 32. By no means am I an expert but I will share my thoughts and experiences with you.

Funny how things that happen recently in work coincides with what some people here are curious about. A coworker of mine is considering getting an H&K VP9. Not sure if they were thinking of full size or compact but rather irrelevant for my next comments. I was asked about my thoughts and experience in the subject matter.

First: I always tell everyone to see what feels comfortable and what they could tolerate as far as comfort.

Second: look at the companies track record. Reputable, quality and what not.

Third: rent the caliber of what they are considering in shooting and buying. Try different models and manufacturers.

Fourth: need to be able to shoot strong hand and weak handed. "Accurately"!

Fifth: Decide if you just want something to go plinking with or you want something for end of days.

Sixth: the cost of the particular firearm and accessories for it. Example, spare parts/oops parts. Magazines, night sights and holsters are other things.

After all of these things I would then choose based on what I decided was best for my purposes. Then I told them that I would go with a Glock 19. Now, my logic and reasoning is quite simple. It works. If the end of days did take place then you have a higher likelihood of coming across a Glock in 9mm than most other pistols. Inexpensive upgrades, cost effective magazines, and cheaper to shoot.
Lol all true do you know how much a HK MAG COST . rediculous

I got a gen 4 Glock 22 .40 cal it's a good gun high cap for the caliber.15 Rounds standard mag.
I also got a Glock 19 X standard mag 17 ROUNDS of 9mm plus it comes with two 19 round mag's .and with a simple mag base change they are made to 23 round mag's .
The Glock 19 X is a Glock 17 lower with a Glock 19 upper.so you get a full size grip with a short barrel and high cap mag's

And mag pul makes mags for Glock now cheaper than Glock mags and just as good I have 4 after market mag pul mags for my Glock 19 X and they work perfectly

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top