JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Get a Mosin, some hookers and a few cases of vodka and with the remainder retire like a king like a normal person.
sheesh

You change name to "Epic Win", da?

92B01118-52C8-4AA7-B75C-8788C3EEA29A.gif

How many of these threads do we see? It doesn't matter what the purpose or type of weapon, there is always the "need a gun for xyz, only got $400". My first reaction is that people can be somewhat unrealistic about what they can get for that kind of money. The second is to suggest one of the new bargain rifles that have flooded the market (Savage Axis, Ruger American, Remington 783, etc.).

I was thinking about this the other day. It seems like the middle class of hunting rifles is dying. You can buy a rifle at $800+ or a rifle around $350 that may or may not be very well made. Don't get me wrong, I think its great that there is a price point that gets more people into shooting and hunting. It just seems there are plenty of complaints about reliability and durability.

SO, I plan on buying a decent rifle and have it field ready with scope and sling for....under $400. My theory is that I can put this rig together in the spirit of a parent or first-time hunter who needs to pinch dollars, bit wants something that will last and can be upgraded in the future to something semi-custom in nature.

Goals:

• Accurate, durable rifle with aftermarket support.

• Chambered in a readily available and versatile cartridge capable of taking any non-dangerous game up to moose...that costs less than $20 a box of ammo.

• Scope that is waterproof, fog proof, and durable for shots out to 400 yards on a vital zone measuring 8 inches in diameter.

• Strong mounts to maintain zero.

• Servicable sling that can be used not only to carry the rifle, but provide shooting support.

Once this is achieved and demonstrated, I will then make upgrades to the rifle to make it something on par with some of the bare $1000 rifles out there....but I will have it scoped and ready to go for under $800...with good components.

Stay tuned! I plan to have phase one complete in the next 7 days due to shipping times.
These are nice rifles for the money.
Have @LuckySG hook you up...

I like the burris ff2 scopes for bargain scopes. That weatherby should have an adjustable trigger but be careful with it as I believe it is an aluminum body and the adjustmnt screws strip very easy. That is why my Howa heavy barrel 243 now sports a timney trigger o_O. Happy hunting

Had the similar thing happen to me walking up a logging road back in the 90's.... me and a blackie were playing the circular "grab a$$". He zipped off to my right up the hill into the brush, I thought "FRAK won't be seeing him again". Turned around and walked the other way and made it about 30' when he breaks out in front of me going downhill from my left and stops on the logging road broadside just staring at me from 30'-35' away.... circling bastige!!

I heart shot him once with my Colt AR15A2 (the only rifle I had back then), he jumped straight up 6-8' into a triple-gainer, hit the ground on his chest (legs folded under) and slid down the embankment like an otter dead as a doornail.... it was surreal.

Anyway.... waiting to see what scope "Mr. Vanguard" decides on! :D

Never a hunt, always an adventure!;)

I just ordered a set of Talley Lightweight Scope rings for $37, and a Butler Creek Mountain Sling for $17. Im at about $325 so far for a brand new rifle (with metal trigger guard no-less) and scope rings and sling. That leaves me $75 for a scope. That will be the challenge. Gonna hit some pawn shops and see what I find.
A few months back, I scored a Nitrex 3-9X scope on Amazon for $69.99 with free shipping. Years ago bought one from Natchez Shooters Supply for $99. Bright, clear, made in Japan, very close in quality to the old Weaver Grand Slams. It resides in Burris Signature Z rings on a Marlin XL7 in .270 Win. (See, I already did the brand new, accurate rifle, with scope ready to hunt for less than $400). Paid $259 for the Marlin on closeout at a local hardware store. Will admit that you got a better rifle with the Vanguard. Do they have the S2 trigger?

Primary Arms scopes came up earlier. They are fairly unknown, but very comparable to Vortex and almost certainly made on some of the same Asian assembly lines. Rex Tibor, who is best known for the Sniper 101 series on YT is pretty big on them, at least the ones that use an ACSS reticle. On one of his videos he put together a budget Savage/Primary Arms system for under a grand and then taught two students to hit out to 1,000 yards with it. I wouldn't steer away from PA.

Without depending on WalMart closeouts it looks like the Savage Axis packages are pretty reliable and up to the task. You could also look for sporterized Mauser 6.5x55's which pop up at $250 w/scope on occasion and can take any big game in North America w/ 140 grain bullets.

my brother got his savage 111 30-06 trophy hunter package with a nikon bdc scope for $350 onsale from bimart(before they went full retard) and a $100 rebate from savage. $250 for what i consider a good hunting rifle that can get beat up. i know i like my savages. never have let me down

I like what the original poster is doing. Bimart had tasco scopes on sale for under $50 which I have used on a 30-06 in the past. But 60 for a better scope is great. Wish I could find a vangaurd for 250.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top