JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
my brother got his savage 111 30-06 trophy hunter package with a nikon bdc scope for $350 onsale from bimart(before they went full retard) and a $100 rebate from savage. $250 for what i consider a good hunting rifle that can get beat up. i know i like my savages. never have let me down
My buddies trophy hunter is so accurate it would make a tikka blush..

Okay guys, I'm at $391.50 for the whole setup. This includes rifle, scope bases/rings, scope, and sling. I found a couple boxes of ammo under $20 per box. Remington 130gr Core-Lokt and Federal 130gr Power Shok (blue box). We'll see if she shoots this weekend.
I have not had good luck with factory ammo in 270win. I'm afraid you're going to be right at 1.5 at 100 with 4 shots. It will be great to see results though. If you reload I'd be happy to let you know some loads that've gave me under .5ctc at 100 yards. Same gun shot Hornady 130 and 140 American whitetail at about 1.5' and Norma 150gr at a little under an inch. 4 shot groups from a wobbly bench with cheap front and cheaper rear rest, target scope, 24' bbl.

I have not had good luck with factory ammo in 270win. I'm afraid you're going to be right at 1.5 at 100 with 4 shots. It will be great to see results though. If you reload I'd be happy to let you know some loads that've gave me under .5ctc at 100 yards. Same gun shot Hornady 130 and 140 American whitetail at about 1.5' and Norma 150gr at a little under an inch. 4 shot groups from a wobbly bench with cheap front and cheaper rear rest, target scope, 24' bbl.

No reloads. This is meant to be the beginners/everyman's budget rifle. I want this to be something doable for anyone. If I can keep it 2 MOA out to 400, I'm still in the vitals of any deer.

My regular hunting rifles only get handloads.

With a 24' barrel, I'd think it would have done better :rolleyes:. Also, unless you have a magic crystal ball, you have no idea how factory ammo is going to shoot in his rifle.;)

No reloads. This is meant to be the beginners/everyman's budget rifle. I want this to be something doable for anyone. If I can keep it 2 MOA out to 400, I'm still in the vitals of any deer.

My regular hunting rifles only get handloads.
I like that. Good choice in cartridge too. The 270 is a dandy. Excellent all around choice. Good thread, I look forward to the range results.

Went shopping for a budget rifle recently and here is what I found:

The Savage Edge: IF all you have is $275-300 then buy the Savage. If you can possibly scrap up another $100 forget the Edge. It in no way compares in quality to the following rifles. Bad stock, bad feel and bad trigger. And I'm a life long Savage fan.

Now comes the Marlin, the Weatherby Vangard and the T/C Venture:

With me it came down to a choice between the Venture and the Marlin. Both were $400 +/- but I liked the Looks, feel, trigger, etc of the Venture so it came home with me. There weren't any Weatherby Vangards at the show I was at so it wasn't in the mix that particular day. But my hunting partner has one that came with both a youth and adult stock and 20" barrel in 7mm-08 and it's a sweet shooting and handling gun. Wouldn't hesitate at all on buying a Vangard.

Caliber: The long action .30-06 and it's derivatives (.270, .25-06, etc) are dinosaurs. Stick to any of the short action .308 based cartridges like the .243, .260 or 7mm-08 and you'll be much happier. Accurate, better actions, less abuse on your shoulder etc. Some will think that the .243 is too small for deer, they are of course wrong. Most of those same folks will tell you that a .250 Savage, .257 Roberts and .25-06 are fine. If you look up the ballistics of those and compare them to the .243 you'll see that the .243 only gives up .014 in diameter and bullet weights will get you close to those of the .25's. Velocity is also comparable to the .25's above. Still, for a dedicated deer rifle the .260 and the 7mm-08 are better and are my personal favorites. Anything bigger (.30-06, .270, 7mm mag, anything else with the word mag attached to it, etc) is a waste for North American game accept the big bears.

Well in the op he stated good for all non dangerous game up to moose. So if going short action only the 308 and the 7mm-08 and the 260 Rem truly deserve consideration. The long action calibers are far from dinosaurs and work just as good today and actually better than when they debuted because of advancements in projectiles.

And look oh so fugly while doing it.

:)

:D sounds like the time I was standing in between 2 older gents packing perazzis on the 27 yard line during an Annie Oakley shoot. I was using my left hand 870 wingmaster (AKA "duck gun" according to the 2 old farts). Guess who walked away with their money that day. Moral of the story, it doesn't have to be expensive or pretty to shoot good. Just sayin ;)

Well in the op he stated good for all non dangerous game up to moose. So if going short action only the 308 and the 7mm-08 and the 260 Rem truly deserve consideration. The long action calibers are far from dinosaurs and work just as good today and actually better than when they debuted because of advancements in projectiles.
Excellent post osprey. I wasn't going to comment on that kids posts. There are just too many fallacies there.

I do have a soft spot for the 7mm-08 however, especially for a cartridge a kid can grow with.
The 7mm08 is an excellent cartridge, as is the 6.5 creed and 260 rem. Another short, but fat, cartridge I like is the 7WSM and also the 300WSM. Don't get me wrong, the short actions are great, but to call cartridges like the 270, and 30-06 "dinosaurs", that's absolutely ludicrous. Those "long actions, and their derivatives", are here for the long haul. Its a proven fact.Trust me. We know that, but some of the younger generation get some weird beliefs, that are based on heresay, not their own experiences .

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads