JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Also game regs in WA and OR are likely based on air gun technology of the 50's or 70's I would guess (I don't know). There woudl have to be a knowledgeable and active air gunner on their board that sets regs to drag it to current use scenarios for hunting I would guess.
like most things now a days, "Somebodys" Brother-in-Law would have to be in the business. :rolleyes:

@Capn Jack said,
"a less capable, single shot, limited range rifle that takes a bit of advanced planning to feed."

kinda like this?

1702496347792.png

@Yarome said,
"Refill pony tanks are an option, so are mini HP compressors, but there's another $650-$700 at the very least. If you do an extended hunt, you also may need to consider how you plan to power your compressor (aka genset). None of which is absolutely necessary, but it "can" limit the convenience factor that may give some people pause to entering into the PCP world."

Cut that estimate for a pump in half.

I just bought a very nice HP compressor complete with accessories (12V adapter, filters, parts) for less than $350. I considered that expense "price of doing business".) Especially after a workout with a bicycle-style pump!

Biggest kill so far is a Rock Chuck at 90 yards. (FX Verminator Extreme .25). No doubt it would kill a Coyote (head or heart shot). Friend I bought the rifle from killed multiple hogs with the "airbow" conversion.

I agree that the politics of legalizing PCP for big game is insurmountable for now
They may have come down in price or other options are now available. I was just looking at the compressor I have from several years ago that was $300 and one of the tanks I have that was $175 back in the day. Now closer to $500 and $250, respectively.

So $350 for a compressor and $250 for a tank... that's still $600, right? I do have a good manual pump. It wasn't exactly "cheap", but it's strictly a backup. I used it just enough times to learn... "THIS sucks sweaty nards!!" and quickly went the compressor option. 🤣

I've dropped a couple yotes with mine. Furthest was right about 80yrds. I'm not saying they aren't capable rifles... just that cost wise you're really not saving any money over a centerfire, and it's still typically going to be a less capable single shot for the money. The other benefits have to be attractive enough if we want to see more people getting into them, willing to spend the money, and in enough numbers to be able to apply enough pressure to enact some regulation changes to allow them for medium sized game (deer, antelope, etc.)

I hope so, I just don't have a lot of faith it's going to be any time soon within these blue bastions. On the contrary, hunting regulations seem to get stricter and stricter with every passing year.

For around 1K you can get a pcp big bore that is capable. Not much different than buying a decent high power rifle. I hear you on the regs but you might be surprised how many states allow it right now including Commifornia. Here is a list that allow big game hunting with air rifles. I was surprised to see Idaho on the list where I plan to hunt next fall so stay tuned!

California, Idaho, Utah, Arizona, North Dakota, Texas, Missouri, Arkansas, Mississippi, Michigan, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, Vermont, and Maine.
Damn, I did not know they had been able to get that many states on track for these. Of course the one "downside" to this is sooner or later some left makers will see the results and start screaming we "need" more laws to cover these. 🤬
When I first found out about the select fire model that one maker puts out and started looking for reviews one user was already actually calling for just this. A shooter who was on board with more laws before any law maker was even dreaming about it. Morons like this are a large part of why we just keep getting more stupid laws. :(

@Yarome said,
"Refill pony tanks are an option, so are mini HP compressors, but there's another $650-$700 at the very least. If you do an extended hunt, you also may need to consider how you plan to power your compressor (aka genset). None of which is absolutely necessary, but it "can" limit the convenience factor that may give some people pause to entering into the PCP world."

Cut that estimate for a pump in half.

I just bought a very nice HP compressor complete with accessories (12V adapter, filters, parts) for less than $350. I considered that expense "price of doing business".) Especially after a workout with a bicycle-style pump!

Biggest kill so far is a Rock Chuck at 90 yards. (FX Verminator Extreme .25). No doubt it would kill a Coyote (head or heart shot). Friend I bought the rifle from killed multiple hogs with the "airbow" conversion.

I agree that the politics of legalizing PCP for big game is insurmountable for now
YEP! "Tech" on these things has come a LONG way making price keep dropping. While back I bought a nice little compressor for mine that is mobile. Takes no oil and runs off home current or simple hook up the any vehicle. Seldom use it but wanted to try one since they were less than $300 for nice one even has auto shut off. You can set the pressure you want it to go to and it will turn off when it gets there. Not quite as fast as my first one that uses oil but smaller, lighter, simple to carry along. The one that uses oil was only a little more, of course China made, but has so far kept pumping along for a while now. That one I originally only bought to fill paint ball marker tanks. I use a couple of those guns to run off the damn Canada Geese here. Looked at some of the hand pumps on video and thought "not for me" :s0140:

So $350 for a compressor and $250 for a tank... that's still $600, right? I do have a good manual pump. It wasn't exactly "cheap", but it's strictly a backup. I used it just enough times to learn... "THIS sucks sweaty nards!!" and quickly went the compressor option. 🤣
I was "tempted" to buy one of the hand pumps for a while but watching video of them being used? I came to the same conclusion. Looked way too much like a damn workout for me. I went back and forth being how cheap I can be and finally decided if I bought one it would just be used one time and sit and gather dust and just bought the first compressor:s0140:

The tanks make these a LOT more fun! After I bought a select fire model the next purchase was a tank. :D
Makes shooting SOOO much for fun as refills take seconds and you're back at it.

Ya no hand pump here. I have a carbon fiber tank mounted in my pickup and a compressor in the office to fill that tank.
That's the thing. To make them even the least bit practical to shoot... a compressor and refill tank are pretty much "must haves"... and come with their own learning curves and maintenance issues.

All told... a $1K rifle is anything but... and for extended trips you also have the space and weight requirements to contend with that are far greater than just packing a few spare boxes of freedom seeds.

Worth it, but still....

That's the thing. To make them even the least bit practical to shoot... a compressor and refill tank are pretty much "must haves"... and come with their own learning curves and maintenance issues.

All told... a $1K rifle is anything but... and for extended trips you also have the space and weight requirements to contend with that are far greater than just packing a few spare boxes of freedom seeds.

Worth it, but still....
They certainly are NOT for everyone but, would be nice to see more states get on board with letting those who want one use them. I have never been interested in the big bore models but damn they are nice. The select fire one I bought? Now that I could have bought a decent AR for what I spent but it was only because it was select fire and so damn much fun. Originally I justified the cost as I could use it to humanly and safely kill the wild dogs around here. Since I shot one of them a couple times with a paint ball marker and the old .22 call pellet rifle though they have avoided getting close to the house. Damn rifle thing is still just too much fun though.

They certainly are NOT for everyone but, would be nice to see more states get on board with letting those who want one use them. I have never been interested in the big bore models but damn they are nice. The select fire one I bought? Now that I could have bought a decent AR for what I spent but it was only because it was select fire and so damn much fun. Originally I justified the cost as I could use it to humanly and safely kill the wild dogs around here. Since I shot one of them a couple times with a paint ball marker and the old .22 call pellet rifle though they have avoided getting close to the house. Damn rifle thing is still just too much fun though.
Yeah. I'm not as deep into my setup as @Tlock 's, and hate ever calculating out how much I actually have into 'any' firearm, but probably... 3.5k-ish. Kind of steep for many folks to really "dabble" into the PCP world... if you plan on using one for practical applications.

Not unlike you... I got into them with a purpose in mind. ;) I spend the majority of my time in the outdoors and routinely hunt small game for the stew pot. Some places it's legal to discharge a firearm but that still doesn't stop the perpetually offended from getting their panties in a wad sometimes. As if they weren't already quiet enough... mine is equipped with an additional sound moderator that all you can hear is the valve "click". Making it both quiet enough as to not disturb the ninny's, with the side benefit of also not spooking any additional meat in the area with each shot.

The accuracy is almost scary though and can't lie... it really is quite a hoot to shoot.👍

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top