JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Same, except his already shoots 1/2- 3/4" 5 shot groups. Just the way it came from the factory.
nothing wrong with the factory barrel. nice, lightweight. with my hand loads or hornady match it'd shoot an inch. 1.5 if using corelokts.

with the new barrel(i wanted a shorter and threaded barrel made by savage) it shoots 3/4" at the most with my handloads. i like it!

:D sounds like the time I was standing in between 2 older gents packing perazzis on the 27 yard line during an Annie Oakley shoot. I was using my left hand 870 wingmaster (AKA "duck gun" according to the 2 old farts). Guess who walked away with their money that day. Moral of the story, it doesn't have to be expensive or pretty to shoot good. Just sayin ;)
Great story and a Wingmaster is a nice gun. Especially the Trap version.

Sounds like the OP ended up with a Vanguard S2.
Probably the very best of the entry-level bolt guns.
I have an S1 in 300 WBY and even the synthetic stock is well done.

Two things for the Vanguard :
Talley rings (cheap from Weatherby and they even say Vanguard on them :))
Timney trigger (simple upgrade for about $110)

Last Edited:
The 7mm08 is an excellent cartridge, as is the 6.5 creed and 260 rem. Another short, but fat, cartridge I like is the 7WSM and also the 300WSM. Don't get me wrong, the short actions are great, but to call cartridges like the 270, and 30-06 "dinosaurs", that's absolutely ludicrous.
30-06 is arguably the best north American game cartridge. i say this because after 112yrs its still being debated over. i like 30-06 (i have an 03-A3) but for what i use it for my 308 can do just as well in a lighter rifle.

nothing wrong with the factory barrel. nice, lightweight. with my hand loads or hornady match it'd shoot an inch. 1.5 if using corelokts.

with the new barrel(i wanted a shorter and threaded barrel made by savage) it shoots 3/4" at the most with my handloads. i like it!
Excellent man. Hard not to like that one.:cool:

With a 24' barrel, I'd think it would have done better :rolleyes:. Also, unless you have a magic crystal ball, you have no idea how factory ammo is going to shoot in his rifle.;)
I was making a prediction to keep me interested, should have qualified that. Not by any means telling him what it will shoot. I bought the whitetail ammo because it's cheap for fouling and as a baseline if I have issues and need to see if my gun shoots them the same, and I re-use the brass. I can get good 3 shot groups but I think between using the rounds as my fouling shots with a cold bore only and doing 4+ shot groups that might contribute a little to the group sizes. Perhaps I should have though about that point too earlier... woops.

From here on out.....

:s0122:

861148DD-9D6D-475F-8E07-9BCF254D904F.jpeg
889472FD-0AE3-4B39-9833-C4F52EDCDE08.jpeg
412D1BAF-4620-480E-AE13-3029D0340F0F.jpeg
83DC7F21-B61E-4F47-B888-F144BF179D5A.jpeg

So I hit the mother load boys! I went to Walmart thinking I might take a peak, and I'm glad I did. Can you say, "Brand new rifles for $249.00"? Read em and weep!

View attachment 496001

I bought 3 of them. Don't try and say I'm over budget, the other two don't count.

Weatherby Vanguard S2 Select 270 Winchester (nothing "select" about it. Just a Weatherby Vanguard S2 with a plain black synthetic stock. But $249 a piece!

View attachment 496002

When was this? Recently?

Moose are such big critters with large circulatory systems. He was likely dead with that first shot and given a bit more time probably would have tipped. However, hunter did correct thing and shot again to make sure.

The only yukon moose I have shot walked 20 yds after taking a stern to stem shot with a 175gr swift a frame from a 7mm mag. He barely showed any signs of being hit kind of like this vid. Even though I knew my shot was good I went for a neck shot to seal the deal but he actually tipped over just as I shot. I would not feel under gunned with a well constructed 150gr bullet out of a 270 for moose. I have shot a 400# cow elk with a 140gr accubond out of my 270 at 300yds and she fell with one shot and no drama. The 6.5x55 swede has accounted for countless moose in europe and I have no doubt the creedmoor or 260 rem with proper bullets and that high sd would get the job done as well.

Last Edited:
Elk are same way.
have seen an elk take a 338 and just stand there. The old guy who shot him knew he hit him good. Just lit up a cigarette and waited a minute or two. That elk just started swaying then tipped over. Got up to it and perfect heart lung shot through and through.
Old man patience and experience at its best.

Its been a long time since I've read his stuff but IIRC Jack Connor shot a few moose (Meeses?) with a 270 and I think he nailed at least one grizzly with it. And probably more than a couple elk. ;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top