JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I see a lot of older 30-06 rifles with scope and sling that someone's grandpa hunted with for a few decades in great shape.

I'm guessing that's not what's going on but for $250-350 I see those rifles all the time.

At one time years ago I had hey Remington 700 in 30 ought 6, composite stock, scope and a sling for less than $375...
I could shoot 2" groups at 100 yds, I would shoot 3 rounds just to make sure it was still G2GO & 1 round that filled my tag every season... :cool:
It had a sloppy bolt but it locked up tight and went BANG every time I told it to.:p:p:p

Welcome to the GH club. We meet weekly in the local church basement.

GH = g u n hoarder

But I don't have a problem...

I have lots of high quality rifles that cost less than $400 fielded. But to be fair, I cheat. I build them myself. Should be interesting to see how the vanguard works out. I've built customs off the Howa 1500 action which is pretty close. They worked better with a bit of attention.

I just ordered a set of Talley Lightweight Scope rings for $37, and a Butler Creek Mountain Sling for $17. Im at about $325 so far for a brand new rifle (with metal trigger guard no-less) and scope rings and sling. That leaves me $75 for a scope. That will be the challenge. Gonna hit some pawn shops and see what I find.

I just ordered a set of Talley Lightweight Scope rings for $37, and a Butler Creek Mountain Sling for $17. Im at about $325 so far for a brand new rifle (with metal trigger guard no-less) and scope rings and sling. That leaves me $75 for a scope. That will be the challenge. Gonna hit some pawn shops and see what I find.

You just missed a vortex refurb sale at aa optics!
Refurbished

Would be just $25 over budget.

REFURBISHED - DIAMONDBACK 4-12X40 RIFLESCOPE

Going Shopping boys!
Excellent idea buddy. I just bought another beautiful sporterized m1917 today for $295.00 on gunbroker. This one is a twin to the one in the safe. Left hand cheek piece and all. There are some good deals out there, you just have to know where to look. However, I'm not saying this rifle I bought today would be a good deal for anyone else. I have strange tastes sometimes :D . Good luck with your search.

I've had good luck with Bushnell Scopes, yeah I was a cheapskate back in the day when I was hunting, fishing and working my bubblegum off.:p

Excellent idea buddy. I just bought another beautiful sporterized m1917 today for $295.00 on gunbroker. This one is a twin to the one in the safe. Left hand cheek piece and all. There are some good deals out there, you just have to know where to look. However, I'm not saying this rifle I bought today would be a good deal for anyone else. I have strange tastes sometimes :D . Good luck with your search.

Im just trying to prove that where there is a will, there is a way. I'm not sold on longevity of some of the entry-level rifles coming out these days. I don't think somone has to settle on that if they don't want to.

Looking at this Vanguard, it has some things that many people pay good money for to modify a 700. Has an M16 style extractor and a 3-position safety.

You can only buy Savages on EBT.
Dang! I'll have to check that out and see if I can use my Oregon Trail card. Must be the stock is edible.

I'll bet you went to Wal-Mart & fit right in..:p
like me.;)
A few questions:
  1. When you bumped into him in auto section, on the fringe of the sporting goods area, did you guys pretend to not know each other?
  2. Was he really wearing Romeos?
  3. Had he torn the arms off his crew-neck T-shirt, converting it into a Muscle T ?
  4. Is his wife really 600# ? :eek:
:D:D:D

Im just trying to prove that where there is a will, there is a way. I'm not sold on longevity of some of the entry-level rifles coming out these days. I don't think somone has to settle on that if they don't want to.

Looking at this Vanguard, it has some things that many people pay good money for to modify a 700. Has an M16 style extractor and a 3-position safety.
The bolts and receivers on Vanguards are really solid. IMO, the S2 stock is a vast improvement on the POS S1 stock. I hope you just got yours blued or Nitrided. In my experience, the coating on the S1 doesn't hold up well to rough use.
Even on the S1 you could adjust the triggers very nicely. Is it the same on the S2?

Yep, I actually use them too. I use several Leupold FXII 4x33s and a 6x36. I also have an FXIII 6x42.

In the spirit of an "all-around rifle", I'll likely try to find a variable in decent shape used.
If you want a good dependable scope on the cheap, look into the Burris FF II 3-9x40 with ballistic plex reticle. Last I saw, they were $133.00...

The bolts and receivers on Vanguards are really solid. IMO, the S2 stock is a vast improvement on the POS S1 stock. I hope you just got yours blued or Nitrided. In my experience, the coating on the S1 doesn't hold up well to rough use.
Even on the S1 you could adjust the triggers very nicely. Is it the same on the S2?

Not sure. Its my first one. I'll be tearing it apart and getting to know it this week.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top