JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When I think about guns it's definitely not related too killing people. I am amazed by how many parts come together from cartridge to firearm. To produce tiny groups with amazing accuracy and reliability. And enjoy the beauty they have and engineering put into them. And yes it may save my life if I know how to use it.

Someone needs to euthanize these idiots before they breed.

I understand the frustration at dealing with folks who at their core believe and think differently than you do.

But really "euthanize these idiots before they breed." ?

A country we went to war with , within living memory , had a program like this for people some deemed unworthy ... Do you want America to be like that?

Also this is a public forum ... I have no doubt many folks visit ... what you wrote could really have a negative effect on guns and gun owners.

Our public image is important ... we all need to be careful in what we say and do , so as not to set it back.
Andy

Anger about something gone wrong is a legitimate response.
Contempt is not. All contempt does is deny someone's humanity
I can get angry at certain kinds of people, but I try to keep in mind that they are still human...sorta. ;)

Anger about something gone wrong is a legitimate response.
Contempt is not. All contempt does is deny someone's humanity
I can get angry at certain kinds of people, but I try to keep in mind that they are still human...sorta. ;)

Are you certain of that? The brainwashing and hate are strong with these nitwits. I have seen inexperienced 10-year-olds with more receptive minds. Is there any help, or hope for them? These "try guys" were emasculated early on. Can you say "eunuch"? Does the phrase "lost cause" hold any meaning for you?

Contempt just may be the right word.

There are some good one still just shorter supply. I see several small town youngsters wrenching on vehicles working hard and enjoying firearms and our help. Social media and cell phone distraction, kids raised by TVs and video games is the root of this evil. Or the lead in the schools water.

There are some good one still just shorter supply. I see several small town youngsters wrenching on vehicles working hard and enjoying firearms and our help. Social media and cell phone distraction, kids raised by TVs and video games is the root of this evil. Or the lead in the schools water.

While guns definitely aren't masculine as my mother has told me plenty of stories of my grandmother on their land in Kansas with a rifle handling business, there are more than a few theories of the feminization of our male youths.

It's too easily to just say everything is bad. Don't do it. Instead of saying everything has a time and a place and enforcing that. My theory is much to in depth to get into but does involve single mothers, absent dads and government assistance.

My mom raised me on her own. So not sure how a single mother would apply.
If you are not on government assistance and are a self sustainable employed individual able to maintain relationships, your mom probably did a good job.

You're free to form your own theories but understand no one is throwing a personal attack on your family.

Being 50, I don't see too many young men I know into shooting, guns, etc. But the ones I do know who are into shooting are passionate about it, and shoot as much as their budget allows. I've offered to take anyone out shooting who is interested (just bring your own ammo), but it seems alot of these 16-30 year old young men are more into playing "SHOOTING" video games, than actually shooting REAL GUNS. I can see why most of gun owners look at them as a bunch of pussies.

It's also too bad we live in CA too- it's almost next to impossible to buy an unneutered AR-15 in 2017, but with President trump in office maybe all of those stupid CA gun laws will get abolished soon enough.

Geno

Short Statement
In my opinion, a big part of a first time shooters experience has to do with a) the quality of instruction given before and while shooting and b) the firearm(s) selected to shoot.

Get those two things right and chances are the new shooter will have a great experience!

Long Explanation of Short Statement

Instruction -
I watched the videos with the Try Guys and "Liberals Shoot Guns for the 1st Time." Both happened to be filmed at the same gun range in LA. I understand the videos were short and only showed part of the instruction, but I was not impressed with the range help and instruction that was shown in the videos.
The ND's are unacceptable and reflect poorly on those that should be teaching proper firearm handling techniques. To have more than one in the same range session, drops my opinion of the instructors even more.

In my opinion, before the guns are even touched, Cooper's four rules should be burned into a new shooters brain - not just the words, but what they actually mean (sometimes when teaching kids, you really have to break the rules down as to what each one means and how they apply - don't assume anything (kid or adult)).
New shooters should then be able to recite these principles back to you from memory before touching a gun. If while shooting a rule is broken, it's the instructors job to stop them, discuss what went wrong, have them demonstrate to you the correct way (or you demonstrate for them) before any more shooting takes place.
Doing this not only keeps everyone safe, but in my opinion, it also helps the new shooter be at ease a little more. To be less "scared" of the firearm and experience, to know that there are measures being taken to ensure that it can be safe and enjoyable - in my opinion, it helps put people at ease and better prepares them to enjoy the experience when they can follow some basic rules.

Firearms Selection - While some of the guns chosen I view as fine for first time shooters, some definitely were not. In my opinion, starting small framed people (male or female) off with a 12 gauge, .500 S&W revolver, etc, in their first outing when not prepared, is flat out wrong. In most cases, you will scare the person and cause them to have a bad experience instead of make them more comfortable with firearms.

Better bet is start them off with anything .22lr. Great to start with rifle and then move to handgun if they'd like.
If you want to step up to something bigger, then a.223/5.56 AR15 for rifle is a good option. A full size 9mm/.45 is a good option for pistol.

If the person is eating it up, showing good mental discipline, is of proper stature (or instructed how to handle bigger recoil with smaller frames), knows what's coming and still wants to try something bigger, then go for it.
If not, the shotguns and bigger calibers will be great to bring out in future range sessions.
But like some of the women in the "liberals" video, putting a 12 gauge in their hands early on, when they're already apprehensive, is foolish. Of course they're going to come away less than excited about guns.

I'll bet if all of the people in those videos had a patient, no-vibrato, thorough instructor, teaching them with .22LR rifles or pistols (and then putting an AR15 and/or full size 9mm/45 pistol in the hands of those that wanted a little more), they all would've come away having had a better experience than what was shown in these videos.

There's a right way and wrong way to introduce new shooters to firearms if we want them to have a favorable experience/opinion.

My two cents - sorry for the novel.

Short Statement
In my opinion, a big part of a first time shooters experience has to do with a) the quality of instruction given before and while shooting and b) the firearm(s) selected to shoot.

Get those two things right and chances are the new shooter will have a great experience!

Long Explanation of Short Statement

Instruction -
I watched the videos with the Try Guys and "Liberals Shoot Guns for the 1st Time." Both happened to be filmed at the same gun range in LA. I understand the videos were short and only showed part of the instruction, but I was not impressed with the range help and instruction that was shown in the videos.
The ND's are unacceptable and reflect poorly on those that should be teaching proper firearm handling techniques. To have more than one in the same range session, drops my opinion of the instructors even more.

In my opinion, before the guns are even touched, Cooper's four rules should be burned into a new shooters brain - not just the words, but what they actually mean (sometimes when teaching kids, you really have to break the rules down as to what each one means and how they apply - don't assume anything (kid or adult)).
New shooters should then be able to recite these principles back to you from memory before touching a gun. If while shooting a rule is broken, it's the instructors job to stop them, discuss what went wrong, have them demonstrate to you the correct way (or you demonstrate for them) before any more shooting takes place.
Doing this not only keeps everyone safe, but in my opinion, it also helps the new shooter be at ease a little more. To be less "scared" of the firearm and experience, to know that there are measures being taken to ensure that it can be safe and enjoyable - in my opinion, it helps put people at ease and better prepares them to enjoy the experience when they can follow some basic rules.

Firearms Selection - While some of the guns chosen I view as fine for first time shooters, some definitely were not. In my opinion, starting small framed people (male or female) off with a 12 gauge, .500 S&W revolver, etc, in their first outing when not prepared, is flat out wrong. In most cases, you will scare the person and cause them to have a bad experience instead of make them more comfortable with firearms.

Better bet is start them off with anything .22lr. Great to start with rifle and then move to handgun if they'd like.
If you want to step up to something bigger, then a.223/5.56 AR15 for rifle is a good option. A full size 9mm/.45 is a good option for pistol.

If the person is eating it up, showing good mental discipline, is of proper stature (or instructed how to handle bigger recoil with smaller frames), knows what's coming and still wants to try something bigger, then go for it.
If not, the shotguns and bigger calibers will be great to bring out in future range sessions.
But like some of the women in the "liberals" video, putting a 12 gauge in their hands early on, when they're already apprehensive, is foolish. Of course they're going to come away less than excited about guns.

I'll bet if all of the people in those videos had a patient, no-vibrato, thorough instructor, teaching them with .22LR rifles or pistols (and then putting an AR15 and/or full size 9mm/45 pistol in the hands of those that wanted a little more), they all would've come away having had a better experience than what was shown in these videos.

There's a right way and wrong way to introduce new shooters to firearms if we want them to have a favorable experience/opinion.

My two cents - sorry for the novel.

I wholeheartedly agree. One caveat is that the attitude (via pre-conceived notions through prior influence/inculcation) should be addressed before offering this opportunity to the individual. This mindset is crucial to their safety as well as the safety of others. If you really believe that guns serve no purpose but to take life, I question your inherent ability to handle a potentially lethal power tool of any kind. (Including automobiles).

Rant off.

Last Edited:
but, that is the lock the guns up mentality/society. My son was raised from 3 yrs old with alot of firearms experiences (almost daily) and yes a daisy red rider is a high powered rifle when handled by a youngster if taught properly. At 17 he goes to school, works 20 plus hrs a week and knows if he wants something he must earn it. He has a 308, 20g 870 and a semi 12 g that he keeps in his room and cares for and handles that responsibility well.

A firearm and a hammer are both inert steel tools that respond to the hand that guides them, teach our children core values and our country will follow

This must be an American thang. We have absolutely NOTHING like this set of circumstances here in yUK.

'Liberals' in THIS country are the third political party after the Labour Party, and not a bunch of panty-waist quivering numpties afraid of a touching a gun in case it rears up and hurts them.

We have twelve guest days a year in our club, where full members can bring along a friend or co-worker - even a relative [or two] - to show them what goes on in the average gun club, and to maybe get them interested. About fifty per cent DO get interested enough to express an interest in joining, else they wouldn't have gotten themselves asked to come along in the fust place.

During the time on the range, they are encouraged to try as many guns as they can, and members are unfailingly generous in letting total strangers shoot their babies - especially the boomers like the .45-70 and .58cal BP stuff. Of course, they also get a chance to shoot a real handgun, albeit a BP handgun - something that 99% of 'em have never even thought of before that day.

All shooting is done on a one-to-one basis with the owner of the gun and the visitor - who, you'd better believe me, is REALLY paying close attention to every word that is said.

Never fails to be a great day, rather than a trial.

tac

Every generation for the last hundred years has had a demographic of city slickers, effeminates, or protesters, alongside every other kind of person. The only reason you see more of it now is the existence of the internet. Every generation has also caused their old folks to bubblegum and moan.

Stop worrying about "millennials". Odds are you'll meet few who conform to this stereotype of infantilized entitlement.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top