JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
99%+ of people who buy an AR don't NEED anything other than the cheapest AR available. If you NEED the best AR money will buy your department is buying it for you , even then the purchasing dept. could get by with less. If you are buying more than the cheapest AR made its because you can, not because you NEED to.

Ive got 5 AR's all in SBR format. Some were built from cheap parts and some were built from expensive parts. They all go bang when I pull the trigger. Can't say that for some of the Colt M16's I had in the Army.

This market of compatible uppers and lower is great I still remember the AR market before mil-spec, and mass marketed ARs. Buy a different brand of upper and lower could mean they wouldnt fit together or the finishes often varied widely. Some of the crap I have seen in the past on ARs wouldnt fly on other firearms, Aluminum gas blocks, plastic delta rings, sub-standard just about everything add-on, made in china part you could ask for coming from some companies.
When these "$500" ARs started hitting the market, I could build one for under $500 so I never bought one. I built ARs for 7 of my friends, no one has complained yet, but also no competition shooters either. I told them basically whats being said here. You can go buy a cheap AR for $350-550 and still need stuff or build a good quality one for $700-900 with everything including grips, sights, muzzle device, barrel length, stock, trgger. But thats buying sale items and free shipping items which can take time and the dreaded . . . Waiting for shipping.
PSA makes great rifle and pistol build kits that include everything but the lower receiver for very good prices. use a quality lower and upgrade a few parts and its a great entry level AR build for well under $1k. But again PSAs shipping takes two weeks sometimes to get to the Great PNW.
build an AR and think of it as a puzzle. Educate yourself about the firearm and how to build it properly, have a gunsmith double check your work on your first few builds before you test fire. that's my 2cents.

My last AR was a cheap one from a place near Portland that sells a lot of them. I was shocked at how bad the trigger was - didn't notice in the shop (dumb!), I could see the grind marks on the sear surface, even with my tired eyes. Went back there and got a $40 upgrade which works just fine. Now I'm happy.

My problem with America's Rifle is not the gun so much as the caliber, but I'm old-fashioned that way. Well, it is ugly too (though not so ugly as an AK) but hey, it works. Everybody should have a few.

Cheap ARs have their place. If they are functional, reliable and combat accurate they've held up their part of the agreement. Now if one is willing to pay extra for that "Cadillac" experience or want a sub moa tack driver they should expect to pay.

The market has changed from just a few years ago. You can get a quality new AR (M&P, Ruger, ect) for $500 from time to time. Whether those are garbage is a matter of opinion.

Yes a $2000 high end AR will get you groups like this at 100 yards. Even when shooting cheap ammo.

IMG_1294.JPG IMG_1292.JPG IMG_1295.JPG

Just kidding :D It was my budget Delton with a cl light weight barrel and milspec trigger. Using cheap ammo with a scope. The 1-9 twist doesn't care for my 69 grain reloads. But shoots the steel and cheap ammo ok .

The value of this rifle went way up. :D

IMG_1298.JPG

Even if it was on target...

I'd still say ya'll are cheatin' with yer fancy schmancy ARs and bolt guns.

Pick up the battle rifles of grandpappy's days and enter dem fancy shoots with one. :rolleyes:

On a more serious note... Bench, offhand, or what?

Even if it was on target...

I'd still say ya'll are cheatin' with yer fancy schmancy ARs and bolt guns.

Pick up the battle rifles of grandpappy's days and enter dem fancy shoots with one. :rolleyes:

On a more serious note... Bench, offhand, or what?

I usually don't take pictures of my groups at the range but a customer wanted a comparison. That's just shooting off a bench with some sand bags. I was using a nice geissele trigger though so it was a lot like cheating lol.

No can do. Gotta learn to shoot good with heavy triggers. That way I shoot well regardless of trigger weight. :cool:

Also it makes a huge difference to have a heavy trigger when wearing gloves. o_O

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top