JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've seen more than one craftsman approach the hobbyist market, get an order wait list that runs years out and then realize they aren't getting paid. It sounds like you are already a professional with a solid background, so I'm sure you'll avoid that. Just a red flag for the aspiring. It can get out of control pretty quickly.
Absolutely understand what your saying. I, in fact, made that mistake myself early on in my career. Very difficult pattern to work yourself out of. Live and learn.

Again, I'm fortunate where I can do something like this now as a passion project. As such, people would need to understand or be willing to understand I'm not providing a $40 Amazon product. Anything I offered would be made to order and would be in the hands of the purchaser once I felt it was good enough for the world to see.

Re: legality of safe storage laws...

A display case that also secured the gun would pass legal muster. Just because you can see the gun doesn't mean the design allows it to get thru the window (rifles). You could also design a display case with a larger window with a locking rack inside. Or just a display with a locking rack/mount.

This would take some creativity but it could bring back the nostalgia of home gun display racks with the modernized lock feature.

Mind you its still visible to theives though Id probably put em in the real safe when traveling.

There is such a thing as tamper-resistant glass, and wooden veneer over steel. There is definitely "glass" that is tougher than the steel that many RSC's are made of.

There is such a thing as tamper-resistant glass, and wooden veneer over steel. There is definitely "glass" that is tougher than the steel that many RSC's are made of.
yes, lots of ways to do it. Theres already some out there, usually expensive. The OP could make some good money with his own designs.

I personally want one of these, but I would mount my Arma15 lock inside it aligned with a wall stud. I dont really want a display, but this would be useful in my mancave. I just dont want to pay $300 for that (I dont need the artwork on the cover).

yes, lots of ways to do it. Theres already some out there, usually expensive. The OP could make some good money with his own designs.

I personally want one of these, but I would mount my Arma15 lock inside it aligned with a wall stud. I dont really want a display, but this would be useful in my mancave. I just dont want to pay $300 for that (I dont need the artwork on the cover).
I would not keep a weapon in that case. It's not secure, and not attractive.

Good point.

I still don't like the case though. :D
its not anything I would put in my living room. I dont even want the art on the outside, just a case that looks like a wall cabinet or whatever. for what thats one is its not worth $300 for me anyways... I could frame something like that around my arma15 mount with scrap wood that looks the same as that. I think they are charging for that american flag art is all.

$50 for a sheet of birch ply that could make 4 cabinets. $20 bucks for a sheet of pegboard that would fill 4 cabinets. $10 for hydraulic hinges. $10 led motion light.

So maybe $50 in materials for one cabinet.

Maybe 2 hours of labor involved once your process is established.

Charging 300+ and able to make 4 in an 8 hour day. Even if they're only clearing $200 per cabinet... you're at roughly $4k a week.

Maybe I'm in the wrong business 😕...

$50 for a sheet of birch ply that could make 4 cabinets. $20 bucks for a sheet of pegboard that would fill 4 cabinets. $10 for hydraulic hinges. $10 led motion light.

So maybe $50 in materials for one cabinet.

Maybe 2 hours of labor involved once your process is established.

Charging 300+ and able to make 4 in an 8 hour day. Even if they're only clearing $200 per cabinet... you're at roughly $4k a week.

Maybe I'm in the wrong business 😕...
More power to them if they are truly selling out but the inside doesnt look worth $300. It looks like something I could make one and for what your listing material cost... Im just lazy (Id just frame around the arma15 already on the wall and put the hinged cover over it). An additional lock wouldnt hurt either. You could easily charge maybe $150 for this idea and nicer looking.

Or make one that has a picture frame cover out of really nice hardwood for living rooms and charge a ton for them. I dont know what the market is for stuff like this but for something on the side youd sell them.

More power to them if they are truly selling out but the inside doesnt look worth $300. It looks like something I could make one and for what your listing material cost... Im just lazy (Id just frame around the arma15 already on the wall and put the hinged cover over it). An additional lock wouldnt hurt either. You could easily charge maybe $150 for this idea and nicer looking.

Or make one that has a picture frame cover out of really nice hardwood for living rooms and charge a ton for them. I dont know what the market is for stuff like this but for something on the side youd sell them.
That's the thing... who knows if they're selling. My guess is they are. There are a ton of variations of this cabinet style from a ton a companies. There has to be a market. I just kinda feel like that target audience would be... well different than my target audience.

The pegboard inside definitely makes the whole thing look cheap. I get the versatility idea they're pitching, but as you said it doesn't look like $300 bucks.

Your frame idea around the arma15 would be a great inexpensive way to accomplish the same thing in a much safer way. Then yeah, you could put anything you wanted on the front... family portrait, peice of art, a white board... whatever.

That's the thing... who knows if they're selling. My guess is they are. There are a ton of variations of this cabinet style from a ton a companies. There has to be a market. I just kinda feel like that target audience would be... well different than my target audience.

The pegboard inside definitely makes the whole thing look cheap. I get the versatility idea they're pitching, but as you said it doesn't look like $300 bucks.

Your frame idea around the arma15 would be a great inexpensive way to accomplish the same thing in a much safer way. Then yeah, you could put anything you wanted on the front... family portrait, peice of art, a white board... whatever.
There are people who are buying them just hard to know how to market yours.

The pegboard could be useful its just not what I need. A nicer design I might have shelves inside for misc stuff. For my I use my arma15 when I need to clean the rifle and I have kids but if I could enclose the whole thing Id consider leaving it (except on vacation). Its a mancave location so I dont even need any art on the cover lid. I just dont like having visible guns anywhere is all... but others might want a glass front display with nice hardwood quality woodworkmanship and that would be worth paying good money for. Traditional rifles would need some different locking design inside though to meet the safe storage requirements.

In the medium-term future I am going to need a nice wall mount display rack for some oddball guns that don't fit the normal pattern for a multi-stack rack. I will be in touch when that time comes, but be aware I am not above blackmail; if my project does not come with a happy ending I will leave a bad review.

In the medium-term future I am going to need a nice wall mount display rack for some oddball guns that don't fit the normal pattern for a multi-stack rack. I will be in touch when that time comes, but be aware I am not above blackmail; if my project does not come with a happy ending I will leave a bad review.
Fortunately for you, happy endings are my specialty... 🙃🤣

So yeah, keep me posted if/when you want to get something done.

Fortunately for you, happy endings are my specialty... 🙃🤣

So yeah, keep me posted if/when you want to get something done.
Will do. I will probably hold off until the election panic buying starts. That is when I will end my current buying spree and will know exactly what I want mounted. I can get you dimensions then and you can send a quote.

Flat black and flat clear on plywood makes it look like a weekend garage project.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top