JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I keep hearing this about the marked flooded with AR's. So i ask around at local gun shops and they all agree. So i ask to see some of these AR's and they hand me this rattly cheap feeling basic AR. I almost didn't even want to hold it. All the corners are sharp. The damn thing rattled worse than any rifle I have even seen. The grip felt awful and the stock was cheesy as hell. I rack it back to check the chamber and it makes this god awful scratching sound. So after a few trips to local shops, not my regular FFL I use, but just local gun shops. My conclusion is this. Yes its flooded with AR's but these things are pure garbage. I have a hard time even understanding why someone would want a $500 AR. Buy a quality rifle and you will be so much more happy. I see these piles at the range all the time and think to myself why not save your pennies and buy quality. You can only shoot one gun at a time anyways. Just my 2 cents.

AR sales tip #137: get the ugliest AR you can find, with the cheapest most uncomfotable furniture...wipe off every drop of oil, and put it on the rack next to the nicer, more expensive rifles that you really want to sell.

The market is flooded with quality AR's too. You have to remember that a lot of gun buyers aren't real gun people. These are the guys who buy a 10/22 and slowly over a year or two try to make it look like a "black gun" because that's what they can afford. They buy ARs, AKs, SKS, etc because they were afraid they would be banned, not because they knew how to use one, or what to do with it. My .02

I keep hearing this about the marked flooded with AR's. So i ask around at local gun shops and they all agree. So i ask to see some of these AR's and they hand me this rattly cheap feeling basic AR. I almost didn't even want to hold it. All the corners are sharp. The damn thing rattled worse than any rifle I have even seen. The grip felt awful and the stock was cheesy as hell. I rack it back to check the chamber and it makes this god awful scratching sound. So after a few trips to local shops, not my regular FFL I use, but just local gun shops. My conclusion is this. Yes its flooded with AR's but these things are pure garbage. I have a hard time even understanding why someone would want a $500 AR. Buy a quality rifle and you will be so much more happy. I see these piles at the range all the time and think to myself why not save your pennies and buy quality. You can only shoot one gun at a time anyways. Just my 2 cents.
This cheap, rattling and scratching AR you speak of is just in response to market demand. There was a sufficient demand at the lowest end of the market...

It's the modern Staurday Night Special...

Btw, I agree, spend a few hundred more and have a higher quality rifle... I'm frugal, but don't buy junk...

The market is flooded with quality AR's too. You have to remember that a lot of gun buyers aren't real gun people. These are the guys who buy a 10/22 and slowly over a year or two try to make it look like a "black gun" because that's what they can afford. They buy ARs, AKs, SKS, etc because they were afraid they would be banned, not because they knew how to use one, or what to do with it. My .02

Agree 100%....most people dont have more than 50 rds for their EBR......"so you shoot a lot?"...."yup, about 300-500 rds a year...diff calibers... of course." I bet they haven't shot it until their last gun buddy said "hey...wanna do some mag dumps...TACTIKEWL!"

Edit: I think quality parts are a must...but I also feel maintenance and other "care" should be considered....Kind of like the greatest rifle in the shoulders of a poor shooter will always render poor accuracy."

Last Edited:
I have had two AR's that I consider on the low end a Ruger AR556 and a Delton sport lite probably about the cheapest there is. Both were / are very dependable. I have found no problems with my cheap ARs

There are plenty of budget AR's out there that will work. Palmettos are great uppers for the price and my favorite for the price. But beware, there are lots of bad budget companies out there. Because of personal experience I won't recommend certain companies, but that's just personal, not because they make garbage. You just need to upgrade the BCG, buffer tube, buffer, buffer spring, do some trigger work, and try to find one that doesn't have a loose upper/lower fit. An Anderson lower and PSA upper gives you a decent base to build on.

It's ironic how a 500$ AR will end up costing over a grand to kit it out properly.

Nah, more like $600-$700 these days. But that's after you've sold off all the parts you had to replace. The soft 6061 T6 buffer tubes and budget BCG's have to be swapped out first. CHF barrels aren't necessary unless it's gonna be your one and only rifle or if you shoot full auto.

I can honestly say that the "cheapest" ar in my cabinet is also the first one that I would grab if I had to run out the door to defend my family, life and liberty. It is built from cosmetically blemished Anderson recievers, a plain ol' $80 Anderson 16" M4 barrel and bcg.. but it goes bang every time I want it to.

The market is flooded with quality AR's too..
Indeed, you can get a brand new Ruger AR-556 for $500.

top.jpg

Put s decent optic three to four hundred by itself detachable scope mount anotherb100 pit a flashlight and mount another 100 put a decent sling 60 a few mags 60 dollars put a cheap quad rail another 50 and that's before upgrades and possibly buis.
Yeah and that's just for defense.

Don't take this too personally, but I see a certain irony in your post and "AR-Ebay" :D

E

I've got AR's anywhere from PSA builds to a full Noveske SPR. They all run just fine for me. And I've seen $2000 ARs rattle and need eith an accu-wedge or better yet a built in tensioner.

I shoot my Anderson lower/BCA upper the most. It always goes bang and puts the round where I tell it to.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews