JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Based on news coverage, my impression is that this year's rallies attracted significantly lower turnout than in the past. For example:

Locally:

So basically nobody showed up.

After years and years of hype, are people finally realizing how statistically rare these "mass-shooting" events actually are?
Only guessing here, but I think it's more likely the people they hoped would show up have figured out how useless the people that organize these events are

Only guessing here, but I think it's more likely the people they hoped would show up have figured out how useless the people that organize these events are
I would think the amount of people attending a rally is much more strongly correlated with interest in the rally's thematic focus than the rally organizer's ability to enact change. I'm still going with reduced interest in the present case.

I would think the amount of people attending a rally is much more strongly correlated with interest in the rally's thematic focus than the rally organizer's ability to enact change. I'm still going with reduced interest in the present case.
Unfortunately I think the only way to know for sure is find all the people that didn't show up and ask them why :s0153:

Based on news coverage, my impression is that this year's rallies attracted significantly lower turnout than in the past. For example:

Locally:

After years and years of hype, are people finally realizing how statistically rare these "mass-shooting" events actually are?
No one, especially out of work, great resignation participants, can afford wasting money on gas to go to these useless virtue signaling events anymore. Let's call it a win, shall we.

There was a march in Beaverton too. About 150 showed up. They met at Beaverton City Hall then walked with signs to a library then walked back. I saw some of them after the event. Seemed mostly teen girls with painted hair and little old ladies with signs like "never again" and "stop nra".

Not

Locally:

Notice that the Oregonian (local link) no longer allows reader feedback posts on stories. The dropped them around January 2020. More than half the feedback disagreed with the Oregonian's spin on stories, so rather than reconsider their editorial positions, they cancelled peoples' feedback.

More deliberate and misleading conflation of gang/youth group/criminal/random violence and mass-shootings this morning in the WSJ.
The group, which includes the heads of police departments in the largest cities in the U.S. and Canada, supports background checks, red-flag laws that bar certain people from purchasing firearms, a ban on internet sales of ammunition and reinstating a federal ban on the sale of assault weapons.
00741B1B-E0AC-485A-A8E7-62EBF2ECF0F2.jpeg

When they say, "200 mass shootings this year", they want you to think 200 Uvalde events. They redefined "mass shooting" a year or two ago to mean any event where more than 4 people are hurt or killed. That opens up a lot of Chicago gangsters on a weekend taking revenge on a gang for something from the previous weekend. Nothing to do with schools or AR15's or other headliner topics. That's why they don't report Chicago weekends anywhere outside Chicago and occasionally Fox News.

When they say, "200 mass shootings this year", they want you to think 200 Uvalde events. They redefined "mass shooting" a year or two ago to mean any event where more than 4 people are hurt or killed. That opens up a lot of Chicago gangsters on a weekend taking revenge on a gang for something from the previous weekend. Nothing to do with schools or AR15's or other headliner topics. That's why they don't report Chicago weekends anywhere outside Chicago and occasionally Fox News.
Nah, that has been the standard for over 40 years

"In the 1980s, the FBI established a definition for 'mass murder' as 'four or more victims slain, in one event, in one location,' and the offender is not included in the victim count if the shooter committed suicide or was killed in a justifiable homicide, according to a Congressional Research Service (CRS) report detailing the definitions.

Last Edited:
Nah, that has been the standard for over 40 years

"In the 1980s, the FBI established a definition for 'mass murder' as 'four or more victims slain, in one event, in one location,' and the offender is not included in the victim count if the shooter committed suicide or was killed in a justifiable homicide, according to a Congressional Research Service (CRS) report detailing the definitions.

4 victims slain is not the the same as 4 victims shot.

4 victims slain is not the the same as 4 victims shot.
I looked again and found this from last year

As an alternative, in 2013 the Gun Violence Archive (GVA) started tracking mass shootings defined very differently. Since nothing in the phrase "mass shooting" implies death, the GVA adopted the definition of four or more victims shot but not necessarily killed. These episodes occur hundreds of times a year, even several times in a day.

In all fairness to me the 80's don't feel like 35 to 40 years ago, so 2013 could certainly count as 'a year or two ago'

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top