JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Philly is the local of the latest "mass" shooting event. It is likely gang related as multiple shooters were involved.

This might not be the place for this question but is there any hard written language in relation to what constitutes a "red flag"? From what I read it pertains to people who are thought to be a danger to themselves or others. What's the qualifier? Reason I ask is in my early 20s I spent 5 days in the bin (don't recommend it) for being a stupid bubbleguming kid. That was 20 years ago. My worry is something like that might make the government one day decide that I no longer have the right to defend myself. I'm just concerned with how vauge it all is.

This might not be the place for this question but is there any hard written language in relation to what constitutes a "red flag"? From what I read it pertains to people who are thought to be a danger to themselves or others. What's the qualifier? Reason I ask is in my early 20s I spent 5 days in the bin (don't recommend it) for being a stupid bubbleguming kid. That was 20 years ago. My worry is something like that might make the government one day decide that I no longer have the right to defend myself. I'm just concerned with how vauge it all is.
Being nice and appearing sane to the people around you will help reduce chances of red flag confiscation.

would really depend on the offense.

It is intentionally vague and flexible as it is created by design to be abused. Anyone can claim you are a zephrous "threat" and a judge can strip you of your rights behind closed doors without any due process, representation, or even habeas corpus whatsoever.

If someone files one against you, you won't even know it until police show up to take them by surrender or force.

It is intentionally vague and flexible as it is created by design to be abused. Anyone can claim you are a zephrous "threat" and a judge can strip you of your rights behind closed doors without any due process, representation, or even habeas corpus whatsoever.

If someone files one against you, you won't even know it until police show up to take them by surrender or force.
I've seen a few state-level red flag laws that don't even require a specific threat. If an expressed, specific threat were the threshold, and strong evidence were required, we might have something to discuss. As it stands, it's a hard no for me.

Red flag laws are a terrible idea. You have a constitutional right to bear arms. End of story. Yet it's not the end of story in the State of Washington which has RCW 7.94, the "Extreme Risk Protection Order Act." That law gives the State of Washington the right to take your guns away from you simply based on an allegation that you "pose a significant danger" to yourself or others. While the law says it must be triggered by law enforcement or a family member, it also allows it to be triggered anonymously. Who determines the order should be put into effect? It could be a Superior Court, District Court, Municipal Court, or even a Juvenile Court. YOU do not have any involvement in that determination, all the allegations against you are presented to the court without your knowledge or participation. How's that for due process? After your firearms are seized a hearing must be held within 14 days and only then do you get a chance for your side of the story to be heard. If it doesn't go your way, you can lose your firearms for a year. Note, in particular, section 7.94.040(3)(i) which could result in you losing your firearms due to, "The respondent's ownership, access to, or intent to possess firearms." How's that for the barn door being wide open? Or section 7.94.040(3)(m) which reads, "Corroborated evidence of the abuse of controlled substances or alcohol by the respondent." So what is abuse of alcohol? Two drinks per day? Three drinks per day? Another barn door. The denial of your right to bear arms can get repeated, year after year after year, and the law specifically says you only have the right to make one appeal for termination of the order every 12 months.

Needless to say, the real abuse here is this awful law and its ability to terminate your constitutional rights, which begs the question: How can these abusive Red Flag laws pass constitutional muster?

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top