JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have rifles in 22 LR, 22 Mag, 5.56 MM, 7 MM Mag, 30 M1 Carbine, 30-30, 308 and 9 MM. All my 308's are AR-10's. The only 'Hunting' rifles are model 94's in 30-30 and the Model 70 in 7 MM Mag. I do not have the health or inclination to hunt, I do like shooting and home defense, maybe a bit of survival

Me?

Largest rifle caliber ever owned?

30-30 Win caliber.

Former Made in CT Marlin 336C (Walnut/blue.) in a 30-30 Win.

Cate
PS: There have been SEVERAL 30-30 Win. caliber rifles in our home over the years in a few top brands. Mainly, in CT Made Marlins, one Winchester and one Henry.

My husband owned and gifted several 30-30 Win. and other caliber rifles over the years too. Mainly in the MARLIN Made in CT brands but in ones that I NEVER saw but heard about since they were before I knew him too.

When he downsized - he KEPT one Made in CT MARLIN 336SS 30-30 Win. rifle - (Walnut and stainless steel.). He KEPT one Made in CT MARLIN Classic '1895' 45-70 Government rifle - (Walnut and blue steel.).

He has owned several 45-70 rifles in the MARLIN brand (CT) including the one sought after Guide Gun - 45-70 rifle in Walnut and Stainless steel too. Former rifle of his. He may have owned other brands in 45-70 too. I am going by what I have seen and held. I did shoot a much OLDER MARLIN -Classic 1895 45-70 in a LIGHTER load ONE time in my 50's. He reloaded the cartridges just for ME and I shot it one time at our range.

He still owns his FAVORITE older and bought NIB beautiful walnut Remington in 30-06 bolt action rifle too.

Those are the ones that I know that he still owns or did own because I was HERE in MT and saw them up close and personal.

My largest caliber currently is a 470 Nitro Express. Pretty cool Ruger No.1 started life as a 458 Win. I sent it to Bowen Arms and they turned it into a 470 NE for me. Its a beautiful 1976 No.1. At one time I had a 577 TRex by A-Square.

Those of you with 45/70s. When the case mouths start to crack, don't throw them away. Run an 1/8th in. drill through the primer hole and press in plastic, or wax bullets (without powder) for fun practice. A paper target on a cardboard box with a piece of old carpet behind it makes a dandy target. :)

375 H&H followed by my 358 Norma and 338 WM - I do not believe that that I need to go bigger in North America. I have thought about getting larger cartridges and then I shoot the Norma and it becomes clear the fallacy of my thinking. The 375 is a fairly mild in recoil in comparison to the Norma.

Colt Signature Model 1861 in .58cal

IMG_20190711_193955730.jpg

Cartridge Uberti Winchester Model 1885 Hi wall in 45-70 gov.
Muzzle loading Modified Thompson Center Hawkin with a Green Mountain .50 cal round ball barrel 1-72" twist

Used to have a Model 94 in 32 Win Spcl for rifle and a 41 Mag Blackhawk handgun. Why do canoes always seem to tip over right when you get to the deepest part of the lake? So very sad.

Largest caliber- two .54 cal BP... 1 TC .54 flintlock
1 Traditions .54 percussion
Oh and... 1 Unknown .72 flinter pistol
7.92x57 Mauser K98k German 1943
( "The Mauser" as we called it, Dad's ww2 bring-back picked up sometime after D-Day, in original condition complete w/ bayonet and "Prince Albert can" cleaning kit with some original Wehrmacht-issue rifle grease,) a rifle I loved and wanted from the first time I saw it).. Dad was an MP guarding prisoners and a LOT of stuff came his way... He was fluent in Dutch, so the Army in it's ineffable wisdom figured he knew "Deutsche" He did not, lol.
Forgot, I also have a .44 mag Rossi, but I hardly think of it as a "rifle", altho it is I suppose and havent shot it for years cuz a broken-at-the-wrist buttstock...

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR