JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was gonna mention .25-20 also, as I have a Savage Sporter in that caliber. Used to a very common round but not anymore and yes, ammo is expensive. The last two boxes I bought were around $50.00. I think I asked or Bi Mart to order it for me.
I could convince myself to buy a couple boxes at that price, but not some old, unknown how it was stored ammo.

I had a brain fart and corrected it a couple posts later, šŸ˜. It's actually a 221 Cheetah Cub
How funny that the Cub Cadet wasn't the real caliber. I had no clue but was just trying to be funny on what popped up on my Google search. Assumed it was so obscure that the internet didn't know and agreed that you were definitely the winner.
How does the snow blower shoot?
I just tried to look up the 221 Cheetah Cub and still claiming winner caliberā€¦

With the vast majority of my guns being pre 1895 or earlier, I have very few that I can simply buy brass for and reload. Almost all of my rifles are in obsolete cartridges that can take a few steps to make from donor brass, or huge reworking of donor brass to make. And some have no donor brass that is close enough to even consider re-forming, and then it gets super expensive at $4-$5 a case to have custom brass turned for them.
Cartridges like .40-63 Ballard Everlasting, .44-77 Sharps Bottleneck, .40-50 Sharps Straight, .40-85 Ballard Everlasting, .44-100 Long Range Ballard, etc. and dozens more, that keep me busy building up my supply so I can continue shooting my old rifles.

Still have my 6.5 TCU, 30 and 357 Herrett barrels for my Contender from back in my silhouette shooting days.

I wish I hadn't sold my little Martini Henry that I built in 17-44. It was a royal pain in the butt to make brass for, but it was a cool little round. Had to anneal between each sizing step, then fire form, and anneal again, and after all that, they would still split from the mouth down through the shoulder after 3 or 4 reloads, but it would smoke a hole right through 5/8" cold rolled steel.

Semi-obscure, .38-40 Win (.38n WCF). Before I owned a couple, I always thought this was a strange, ugly cartridge. After owning them, I discovered it was very accurate and no problem to load.

I've owned and loaded for many Austrian 8x56R rifles and carbines. Also loaded for one 8x50R, the parent cartridge. Which was interesting because the originals used a bore-riding bullet.

Over the years, I've loaded for .25-20 Win. and .32-20 Win., also .44-40 Win. Probably semi-obscure for most contemporary shooters.

A modern obscure cartridge is the .30 Thompson Center. Never caught on, why would it as a reinvention of the .308 Win. But it was the basis for the 6.5 Creedmoor which has been successful.

Probably the 7.62掜 Nagant. I don't really do weird calibers anymore, but there is still some of that about, and it is easily one of the oddest looking cartridges. (A box of the anemic .32 S&W and at least one Sim-munition came into our possession recently though.)

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews