JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have rifles in 22 LR, 22 Mag, 5.56 MM, 7 MM Mag, 30 M1 Carbine, 30-30, 308 and 9 MM. All my 308's are AR-10's. The only 'Hunting' rifles are model 94's in 30-30 and the Model 70 in 7 MM Mag. I do not have the health or inclination to hunt, I do like shooting and home defense, maybe a bit of survival

Me?

Largest rifle caliber ever owned?

30-30 Win caliber.

Former Made in CT Marlin 336C (Walnut/blue.) in a 30-30 Win.

Cate
PS: There have been SEVERAL 30-30 Win. caliber rifles in our home over the years in a few top brands. Mainly, in CT Made Marlins, one Winchester and one Henry.

My husband owned and gifted several 30-30 Win. and other caliber rifles over the years too. Mainly in the MARLIN Made in CT brands but in ones that I NEVER saw but heard about since they were before I knew him too.

When he downsized - he KEPT one Made in CT MARLIN 336SS 30-30 Win. rifle - (Walnut and stainless steel.). He KEPT one Made in CT MARLIN Classic '1895' 45-70 Government rifle - (Walnut and blue steel.).

He has owned several 45-70 rifles in the MARLIN brand (CT) including the one sought after Guide Gun - 45-70 rifle in Walnut and Stainless steel too. Former rifle of his. He may have owned other brands in 45-70 too. I am going by what I have seen and held. I did shoot a much OLDER MARLIN -Classic 1895 45-70 in a LIGHTER load ONE time in my 50's. He reloaded the cartridges just for ME and I shot it one time at our range.

He still owns his FAVORITE older and bought NIB beautiful walnut Remington in 30-06 bolt action rifle too.

Those are the ones that I know that he still owns or did own because I was HERE in MT and saw them up close and personal.

My largest caliber currently is a 470 Nitro Express. Pretty cool Ruger No.1 started life as a 458 Win. I sent it to Bowen Arms and they turned it into a 470 NE for me. Its a beautiful 1976 No.1. At one time I had a 577 TRex by A-Square.

Those of you with 45/70s. When the case mouths start to crack, don't throw them away. Run an 1/8th in. drill through the primer hole and press in plastic, or wax bullets (without powder) for fun practice. A paper target on a cardboard box with a piece of old carpet behind it makes a dandy target. :)

375 H&H followed by my 358 Norma and 338 WM - I do not believe that that I need to go bigger in North America. I have thought about getting larger cartridges and then I shoot the Norma and it becomes clear the fallacy of my thinking. The 375 is a fairly mild in recoil in comparison to the Norma.

Colt Signature Model 1861 in .58cal

IMG_20190711_193955730.jpg

Cartridge Uberti Winchester Model 1885 Hi wall in 45-70 gov.
Muzzle loading Modified Thompson Center Hawkin with a Green Mountain .50 cal round ball barrel 1-72" twist

Used to have a Model 94 in 32 Win Spcl for rifle and a 41 Mag Blackhawk handgun. Why do canoes always seem to tip over right when you get to the deepest part of the lake? So very sad.

Largest caliber- two .54 cal BP... 1 TC .54 flintlock
1 Traditions .54 percussion
Oh and... 1 Unknown .72 flinter pistol
7.92x57 Mauser K98k German 1943
( "The Mauser" as we called it, Dad's ww2 bring-back picked up sometime after D-Day, in original condition complete w/ bayonet and "Prince Albert can" cleaning kit with some original Wehrmacht-issue rifle grease,) a rifle I loved and wanted from the first time I saw it).. Dad was an MP guarding prisoners and a LOT of stuff came his way... He was fluent in Dutch, so the Army in it's ineffable wisdom figured he knew "Deutsche" He did not, lol.
Forgot, I also have a .44 mag Rossi, but I hardly think of it as a "rifle", altho it is I suppose and havent shot it for years cuz a broken-at-the-wrist buttstock...

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads