JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Do you not have electricity at your place? If you do, then the gooberment/utility company are already involved in your most important asset...

And if you have a SmartMeter on your house, then it's even worse...
Well, I've heard horror stories of homeowners not able to sell their houses due to being beholden to the government as they are then a leinholder of the house.

Do you not have electricity at your place? If you do, then the gooberment/utility company are already involved in your most important asset...

And if you have a SmartMeter on your house, then it's even worse...
Smart meters are only devices that provide real time data to the utility on your power usage. I believe they also can include remote shutoff if you don't pay your bills.

No. Inverters are required to be anti-islanding, so they need a voltage source, or they turn off. If your system is setup to handle islanding, then with batteries, you can.
How do I know if it's set up to allow islanding? The installer made it sound like I could, when I talked with him about going off-grid. He said I would need a transfer switch, some batteries, and to call him when I was ready to go that route. So, maybe it's "nearly ready" and he just needs to add a part(s)...??? o_O

Well, I've heard horror stories of homeowners not able to sell their houses due to being beholden to the government as they are then a leinholder of the house.
I would guess that they got duped, either by the gooberment or one of the large solar power companies prowling the neighborhoods into using a gooberment "energy efficiency" loan to install their system. When I first approached the idea of going solar, Solgen Power was prowling my neighborhood with just such an arrangement. When I looked deeper into their contract, I found just what you describe. So I bailed on their program and found a local installer that works with a local credit union. I then took out a loan for my solar system from this local credit union. So the CU is the lienholder, not the gooberment or the utility company. And that's a pretty typical loan arrangement for millions of people - when one sells their home that still has a mortgage on it, that mortgage gets paid off during the sale of that home. So, I did not go the route of having a gooberment "energy efficiency" loan to put in my system, for precisely the reason you cite. I don't want the gooberment anywhere near my house. So, my loan is as easy as paying it off like a regular P&I loan, or paying it off with the home sale proceeds (and increasing the asking price of the home to cover the pay-off amount, since it's a real asset to have the system).

Last Edited:
Smart meters are only devices that provide real time data to the utility on your power usage. I believe they also can include remote shutoff if you don't pay your bills.
And harmful RF effects. And I s'poze a "tyrannical" utility purveyor/gooberment could decide to shut off your power for a low social credit score... Possibly... :s0092:
The things we said could never happen five years ago are already on the way. I don't trust the gooberment as far as I can throw Jerry "High-Waisties" Nadler...

Last Edited:
Didn't we just have a 180 page thread on this closed down a few weeks ago?

Any way . .

Context is great and here is some for that silly meme
Not going to interrupt my coffee to dispute a meme, other than to say if you read that article it actually says nothing at all about the facts that are presented.

That's cuz they got duped into using a gooberment loan to install their system... I took out a loan for my solar system, but it is from a local credit union. So the CU is the lienholder, but that's a pretty typical loan arrangement for millions of people. I did not go the route of having a gooberment "energy efficiency" loan to put in my system, for precisely the reason you cite. I wanted the gooberment nowhere near my house. So, my loan is as easy as paying it off like a regular P&I loan, or paying it off with the home sale proceeds (and increasing the asking price of the home to cover the pay-off amount, since it's a real asset to have the system).
Why can't you do the same if you have a .gov backed loan? o_O

And harmful RF effects. And I s'poze a "tyrannical" utility purveyor/gooberment could decide to shut off your power for a low social credit score... Possibly... :s0092:
The things we said could never happen five years ago are already on the way. I don't trust the gooberment as far as I can throw Jerry "High_Waisties" Nadler...
Lolz, you mean like TX raising the electric rate to outrageous amounts and randomly shutting power off because of 'the free market"?

The things we said could never happen five years ago are already on the way. I don't trust the gooberment as far as I can throw Jerry "High_Waisties" Nadler...
They're either cellular or line communication, so no different then the cell phone next to your nuts.

Lolz, you mean like TX raising the electric rate to outrageous amounts and randomly shutting power off because of 'the free market"?
You have a choice on power purchase in Texas, you can pay a set rate, or you can choose to purchase power based on the current rate. The current rate is traded on the open market, similar to the stock market. As demand goes up price goes to. Typically, power is cheaper at the market rate, so you can benefit by the lower rate 99% of the time, but you also risk catastrophic events that increase your rate.

In my travels I have seen houses with no power at all. People build house away from the power companies and run their house completely on natural gas. Gas refrigerator, gas stove, gas lights etc, they have a huge tank of natural gas.

No phone line or power line, no cell tower, just off the grid. Those that live in the city have a hard time getting away.

Not going to interrupt my coffee to dispute a meme, other than to say if you read that article it actually says nothing at all about the facts that are presented.
Thank you! I thought I was missing something there, but that's what I got from it too.

Why can't you do the same if you have a .gov backed loan? o_O
Don't ask me, I didn't go that route. I do know that the .gov-backed loan that a few of my neighbors got through Solgen Power was a "no money down" loan, which probably appeals to a lot of people. But when I looked into the contract particulars for that arrangement, I did not like what I saw. So I went with a traditional loan package, upon which I put 20% down, supplied by a local credit union that works closely with my solar system installer.

At the rate I'm going, I'll have my solar system paid off a couple decades before it's worn out, and likely even before I move from WA to ID in the next coupla years.

Agendas have to be maintained and people manipulated.
Here's a great example…at first glance, the bottom picture looks extreme. OMG, look at all that RED…we must be burning up. OH NO
Then look at the pretty green picture. Same place on the globe. Same date, just 5 years earlier (to the day). Same hotsy weather chick even.
But now study the temps. Red Global Catastrophe picture is actually quite a bit cooler (temps are in centigrade) than 5 years earlier.
But some clever marketing is applied to keep the scam alive.

View attachment 1458538
One is literally a heat map. The other isn't. They should be different.

If you have any optimism about our future left, just give this a listen...

Don't ask me, I didn't go that route. I do know that the .gov-backed loan that a few of my neighbors got through Solgen Power was a "no money down" loan, which probably appeals to a lot of people. But when I looked into the contract particulars for that arrangement, I did not like what I saw. So I went with a traditional loan package, upon which I put 20% down, supplied by a local credit union that works closely with my solar system installer.

At the rate I'm going, I'll have my solar system paid off a couple decades before it's worn out, and likely even before I move from WA to ID in the next coupla years.
Out of curiosity, at $0.10/kW hour, how long will it take to pay off your solar?

Out of curiosity, at $0.10/kW hour, how long will it take to pay off your solar?
I figured that out somewhere along the line. The break-even point was between the 2/3 to 3/4-point of the life of the system. I think it was 17 or 18 years. For a single guy, I use a lot of power. My AC is kept several degrees lower than the average recommended setting, and I don't even try to save electricity. I leave lights on all over the place, exterior lights are on all day and night, I'm constantly opening the fridge/freezer, etc. Shame me all you want - I'm a hedonist... :s0140:

Without accelerating the repayment schedule, my loan will be paid off in 4 years.

Last Edited:
I figured that out somewhere along the line. The break-even point was between the 2/3 to 3/4-point of the life of the system. I think it was 17 or 18 years. For a single guy, I use a lot of power. My AC is kept several degrees lower than the average recommended setting, and I don't even try to save electricity. I leave lights on all over the place, exterior lights are on all day and night, I'm constantly opening the fridge/freezer, etc. Shame me all you want - I'm a hedonist... :s0140:

Without accelerating the repayment schedule, my loan will be paid off in 4 years.
Now factor in batteries only lasting at most ten years and your inverter needing replacement around five years. :s0140:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top