JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
we own a beaten biscuit machine on it's table, came across on the Oregon Trail - has the brass plaque from the manufacture in Missouri
back in the day before self rising dough, house wives used to beat the dough for their biscuits with a mallet to put air into them to make biscuits
until these were invented
NW logging camp cooks used the back head of an ax to make biscuits
now I want you to think what would happen when you ask your wife to beat the bread dough with a mallet just to make you biscuits for breakfast

View attachment 1808882
A lot of assumptions here, including a wife :p

that is what rural neighbors are for

but some of our new rural neighbors are very seclusive - gates across their roads and No Trespassing signs going up
a new neighbor across the road got his F250 diesel stick when he slid off his road in the ice
3 of his neighbors have tractors that could pull that truck out, but he called AAA instead
the couple of California software engineers who recently purchased the property up the hill called in a tree service to cut his downed trees up, instead of asking his neighbors for help
they didn't even own a generator - when we lost power, he walked down to ask why we still had lights - he seemed confused when my son told him we had our own generator
the new generation of rural property owners are bringing their metropolitan habits with them
luckily even the California software engineers shoot firearms on their place
When my car slid off the road, I sent out an email to the neighborhood. Then I took my truck up the road, hooked up a tow line to the car, and proceeded to spread ground up walnut shell media on the road so the truck would have traction. While I was doing that, one of my neighbors noticed the email and called me asking if I needed help and I told him yes, a little help would be appreciated.

I think others might have helped if they could. Not everybody was home and those that were home were maybe working from home. One other neighbor called me, but he is sick with cancer and I didn't ask him for help.

Anyway, when they can, my neighbors usually help.

I could use Freudian analogies here
Yeah, he wasn't Quite Right.

When my car slid off the road, I sent out an email to the neighborhood. Then I took my truck up the road, hooked up a tow line to the car, and proceeded to spread ground up walnut shell media on the road so the truck would have traction. While I was doing that, one of my neighbors noticed the email and called me asking if I needed help and I told him yes, a little help would be appreciated.

I think others might have helped if they could. Not everybody was home and those that were home were maybe working from home. One other neighbor called me, but he is sick with cancer and I didn't ask him for help.

Anyway, when they can, my neighbors usually help.
have you heard of these?
we got our 4WD stuck down in our woods last year - slick muddy hill
neighbors came over, but they couldn't get their truck within 100 yrds of ours due to the slick hill
even chains didn't work
ordered in a set of these and she drove right out
keep them in the truck at all times now

My elderly parents live in Blackhawk, kalifornia, and are without power.
Governor Newsome and the greenies have outlawed the sale and commercial use of small gasoline, diesel, and propane engines.
Instead they tout the "clean generators" which are not generators. Just a li-on battery bank. A whole-house UPS. Big label on the side of it will say: "7000 watts"
But so is the real generator here at my place in Oregon that runs on gasoline.
Of course it's the watt hours/amp hours that matter!
So all these California-type preppers with their battery/inverter "generators" will have power for a whoppin 45 minutes to 3 hours during a blackout.

Last Edited:
My elderly parents live in Blackhawk, kalifornia, and are without power.
Governor Newsome and the greenies have outlawed the sale and commercial use of small gasoline, diesel, and propane engines.
Instead they tout the "clean generators" which are not generators. Just a li-on battery bank. A whole-house UPS. Big label on the side of it will say: "7000 watts"
But so is the real generator here at my place in Oregon that runs on gasoline.
Of course it's the watt hours/amp hours that matter!
So all these California-type preppers with their battery/inverter "generators" will have power for a whoppin 45 minutes to 3 hours during a blackout.
I see a black market opportunity here.

We had a odd, spotty power loss Saturday morning for about an hour.

Areas in Bend and points south to about Crescent with some on and some not.

I am North of Lapine and did not lose power, but most of Lapine was out.

Last Edited:
There was a power outage for PP&L in the Dallas area Saturday, starting at 0930 and continuing until mid-afternoon. PP&L says that the outage was caused by "wildlife" and it damaged a substation. :s0092:

There was a power outage for PP&L in the Dallas area Saturday, starting at 0930 and continuing until mid-afternoon. PP&L says that the outage was caused by "wildlife" and it damaged a substation. :s0092:
I used to live near a substation back in the day. Often there would be squirrels that turn into a giant light bulb filament and short things out. Those damn squirrels can put out a lot of light! BZZZZZRT!

I used to live near a substation back in the day. Often there would be squirrels that turn into a giant light bulb filament and short things out. Those damn squirrels can put out a lot of light! BZZZZZRT!
Where I used to live in Everett, several times a year we had dead crows at the street where there was a transformer on the power pole. Occasionally it would cause an outage. The crows would then hang around near the pole cawing at their dead mate to get up.

All of the transformers (one for each house) on my private road are on the ground or in the ground as our utils are underground. When I first got here I cleared the brush around mine and asked PGE to put it on a pedestal or at least level ground as it is on titled ground and could fall over. They came and looked at it, twice, and after several emails & phone calls saying they were going to fix it, nothing happened - so I gave up. It is their property and touching it is verboten.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top