JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Edit 7/28/23: Modified and Combined Challenge:

In an effort to create motivation for completing my debt repayment, I am tying the two goals together. I will extend the off grid eating challenge to 90 days or to the date my debt is repaid (whichever occurs first). I will be doubling my planned propane usage to 4lbs per month. This will allow me to start eating some of my longer term food storage items that take more energy and water to prepare. It will also allow me to boil more water for consumption.

OP post text below:

It's been over two years since I did my last grid down eating challenge and I'm ready to try it again. The last challenge was done during a fairly cool month of March. I was able to make some perishable items last and I allowed for a number of cheats.

This challenge will be done throughout the month of August and because of warmer temperatures, I will make non-perishable foods the vast majority of my calories. I am going to keep the cheats at a bare minimum.

The restrictions will be limited to food/drink purchasing, storage and prep. Daily life will otherwise be business as usual and the family will be eating their normal diet.

I will purchase all necessary food and drink by August 1st.

I will not use any refrigeration or freezing for food storage.

I will limit myself to two pounds of propane for the entire month of cooking chores and water sterilization.

Cooling of leftovers, drinks, condiments, etc will only be achieved through evaporation. Basically wet towels wrapped around product to be cooled.

I will weigh on Day 1 and again on Day 31. I will buy more calories than I need for the month and not worry about weight loss or gain throughout the month.

No budget will be set but I will use my normal frugal nature to get the best deals I can on shelf stable products.

Carbs will make up the bulk of my calories. Cheap calorie dense, shelf stable foods that require very minimal cooking or no cooking will be king on my shopping list.

Drinking water will be sourced only from water stored, in home, prior to Day 1. I will store enough water to provide for at least one gallon per day. I will also have another quart or so per day available from prepackaged beverages.

Water for cooking will be sourced from Boeckman creek.

Last Edited:
Not that there is anything wrong with practicing to live like that. One day a lot of us may need to be able to do so. I am old enough now that "roughing it" is no longer fun. Even when I go "camping" now I want comfort and ease. If I had to make do in a pinch I know I can still do without. If I am around to see a major crash it may be interesting to watch though. There are now days a lot of people who will probably all but starve if they can't order food ready made :D

Not that there is anything wrong with practicing to live like that. One day a lot of us may need to be able to do so. I am old enough now that "roughing it" is no longer fun. Even when I go "camping" now I want comfort and ease. If I had to make do in a pinch I know I can still do without. If I am around to see a major crash it may be interesting to watch though. There are now days a lot of people who will probably all but starve if they can't order food ready made :D
I normally eat a lot of low dollar crap food anyways but I love my refrigerator, freezer, microwave, stovetop, coffee maker, toaster, etc. Doing something like this challenge every once in a while will make me appreciate the modern conveniences more.

I normally eat a lot of low dollar crap food anyways but I love my refrigerator, freezer, microwave, stovetop, coffee maker, toaster, etc. Doing something like this challenge every once in a while will make me appreciate the modern conveniences more.
You got that right. Nothing like losing some of the comforts we tend to take for granted to remind us just how damn well off we are. Now and then when I am zapping something to eat I remember what it was like when a Microwave cost as much as a decent used car so few had one. Now if one dies I am at the store the same day buying a replacement . :D

This is a good exercise for the True Prepper.
I am into week three of no sugar so not going to punish myself any further at this point.
Keep us posted.

@Stomper possibly contributing time proven weight loss options - cryptosporidiosis, leptospiridosis, giardia and Hep-C.
And people wonder why the water from Boeckman creek tastes a bit nutty….

IMG_1214.jpeg

It's been over two years since I did my last grid down eating challenge and I'm ready to try it again. The last challenge was done during a fairly cool month of March. I was able to make some perishable items last and I allowed for a number of cheats.

This challenge will be done throughout the month of August and because of warmer temperatures, I will make non-perishable foods the vast majority of my calories. I am going to keep the cheats at a bare minimum.

The restrictions will be limited to food/drink purchasing, storage and prep. Daily life will otherwise be business as usual and the family will be eating their normal diet.

I will purchase all necessary food and drink by August 1st.

I will not use any refrigeration or freezing for food storage.

I will limit myself to two pounds of propane for the entire month of cooking chores and water sterilization.

Cooling of leftovers, drinks, condiments, etc will only be achieved through evaporation. Basically wet towels wrapped around product to be cooled.

I will weigh on Day 1 and again on Day 31. I will buy more calories than I need for the month and not worry about weight loss or gain throughout the month.

No budget will be set but I will use my normal frugal nature to get the best deals I can on shelf stable products.

Carbs will make up the bulk of my calories. Cheap calorie dense, shelf stable foods that require very minimal cooking or no cooking will be king on my shopping list.

Drinking water will be sourced only from water stored, in home, prior to Day 1. I will store enough water to provide for at least one gallon per day. I will also have another quart or so per day available from prepackaged beverages.

Water for cooking will be sourced from Boeckman creek.
Nah. Not gonna happen. Just like all the other ideas you post. Sorry, you bring this on yourself.

Just opinion :D in a real grid down, after two weeks your neighbors would smell you cooking food and come to your house to eat.

After 31 days your neighbors will be eating you.:confused:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top