JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Lights have been flickering here in Wilsonville and were in Tigard as well but so far the power has stayed on. If ice accumulates on the trees it could be a big problem with the heavy winds we're getting.

No issues here at the present. Have a standby generator with a topped off tank, as well as a woodstove currently supplying heat in case it does.

Hope everyone stays safe and warm during this time of year. :)

No issues here at the present. Have a standby generator with a topped off tank, as well as a woodstove currently supplying heat in case it does.

Hope everyone stays safe and warm during this time of year. :)
have lots of downed deciduous trees up here on the North Fork
have lost power to downed trees every day for 3 days
county road was blocked 2 days ago - yes I have a chain saw, but not with down power lines on the road
I have nothing but respect for the PGE linemen - they were out here at 1 in the morning in sub freeing temps, working with worklights to clear the down tree and restore our power
another tree down today on the road to Woodland - local land owner cleared that one
Stihl chain saws and a Kubota tractor with front loader - didn't even call the County
now, I run an old Stihl 036, but this guy had a MS462 with a 32" bar
a REAL MAN'S chainsaw

Resized_20240110_101841.jpeg 20240111_113431.jpg 20240111_113250.jpg

My wife said the power flickered a few times today, but I didn't notice anything. If we lose power we just move out to the motorhome and I'll string extension cords from it to the fridge and freezer. We've done that a few times, living in The Bus (as we call it) at one time for nine days while we didn't have power. If it wasn't for that, a little Honda generator would be struggling to keep up and we would be in a cold house.

My wife said the power flickered a few times today, but I didn't notice anything. If we lose power we just move out to the motorhome and I'll string extension cords from it to the fridge and freezer. We've done that a few times, living in The Bus (as we call it) at one time for nine days while we didn't have power. If it wasn't for that, a little Honda generator would be struggling to keep up and we would be in a cold house.
my daughter lives in the Ladd addition in Portland
she told us she can hear trees coming down all over her neighborhood
over 200,000 people without power in Portland now
I bet most of them don't have generators, just rely on metropolitan services to provide for them
an Portland is providing free warming shelters for the drug addicted homeless

which bring up a sore subject with me
Portland said they wanted to be the American Amsterdam, legal drugs and camps of homeless that the working citizens pay for
I retired from a Dutch corporation, been to Amsterdam many times
yes, drugs are legal, but every Winter they let the homeless and drug addicts freeze to death on the streets - thins out the non productive members of their society
some how the Mayor of Portland missed this point

Haven't lost power but the electric furnace that is only eight years old Doesn't like these temps and decided to take a dump during the night and won't run on emergency heat setting.
Keeping the house close to 60° with gas fireplace heat.
Will someone please call my wife and tell her she's lucky to have a house that is almost 60°…………

Haven't lost power but the electric furnace that is only eight years old Doesn't like these temps and decided to take a dump during the night and won't run on emergency heat setting.
Will someone please call my wife and tell her she's lucky to have a house that is almost 60°…………
I live in a manufactured home, but my walls are 6" thick with R21 insulation
after 2 days without electric furnace heat, we were still at 58 deg
just received a couple of 12/3 extension cords to run oil space heaters tonight off the generator
but I'm not looking forward to going out in 16 deg weather to refill the generator tonight

Dang man, I hope you get heat back soon. 60 is a little on the cold side.

Why yes. Yes I did.

Full power as far as I have known, of course, during the last major ice storm, I lost power for little less than 24hrs.

Still keeping the heat up a lot more than normal in case of lost power...

Got the vehicles defrosted for a simpler future defrosting.

Keeping the hot water dribbling.

Got my mini trailer with little solar power running with a diesel heater that is kept warm using only about 2.5l every 24hrs or so, keeping batteries from freezing...

Why yes. Yes I did.
battery technology is another issue to consider in cold weather
look into lithium batteries for sever cold weather
hear on the North Fork, 16 deg is about the lowest we get, so i run AGM for my generator, RTV and tractor
I have a Harley-Davidson AGM battery in my Generator - if it will start a Harley in a Wisconsin winter, it works for me

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top